Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Emperor Heideran VII died on 17.09YC105  of Turit Disease just two weeks after the publication of his opus 'Pax Amarria'.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Kindred of Scarecrows [SPOOX]  (Read 13018 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: Kindred of Scarecrows [SPOOX]
« Reply #45 on: 01 Aug 2012, 21:16 »

In short, Cas, the answer is that the central concept is "Republic outcast", not explicitly "Thukker" nor exclusively "ill-marked".  In the case of the character I created for this project, he suffers from a woeful Voluval marking and foreign upbringing.  He's not ethnically Thukker and isn't even really Minmatar in a cultural sense.  Struggling with the implications of his Voluval and their impact on his life will be interesting avenues for RP.  There are other valid character concepts that could comfortably fit within the broad idea of "Republic outcast" without being exclusionary to one another.  For example:

• Republic pilot of mixed Amarr-Minmatar heritage
  • Hell, an outright Ammatar descended from a bastard line of Idonis Ardishapur himself who concealed his ancestry for years before being revealed and loathed
  • Republic pilot who's found herself blacklisted from reputable institutions after :crimes:
  • Lone Thukker emigre from the Wildlands who found life in the Republic too static
  • Ill-marked member of the Thukker tribe
  • Researcher whose secret experiments with Vitoc derivatives found him on the wrong side of the news cycle
  • Gruff Matari scavenger with no manners and shameless devotion to the Amarrian faith
  • Military retiree with no known living kin starting a new life because :adventure:
  • Conspiracy theorist who flat out believes the Republic government is a front for an alien invasion

These sorts aren't all reviled for having a verboten tattoo and they aren't all accustomed to a lifestyle and culture built on permanent migration.  Any of them, however, might find themselves at a time and place in their lives, shortly after completing the most harrowing of training regimens (surviving the wet grave), when they are looking for a place among fellow outcasts to call home. 

Regarding the docking restriction, I floated the point because the project is meant to present a roleplay challenge.  Calling any of the artificial restrictions imposed by such a challenge "handwaving" seems dismissive of their purpose to the point that I'm not sure we're still thinking about the same thing.  The idea is to accept these restrictions in order to channelize gameplay in a way that fosters the "Republic outcast" theme.  The characters are capsuleers, yes, but to be honest I think falling back on the excuse of capsuleer power can have a seriously depressive effect on traditional strings of conflict in a character's story.  Without some self-imposed RP-based limitations, would there be any reason to embark on a migratory play style at all?

And remember, not all of these limitations need be taken as OOC rules.  In fact, the central one is directly supported from an in-character perspective in the material we've both referenced:

These marks may force the bearer into a self-imposed, life-time vow of silence, under traditional penalty of having their tongues cut out should they ever break it.  In recent years it has become common for those with these marks to choose a life of exile over the burden of bearing their shame amongst their kin.

Anyway, solid post with the Thukker coverage there.  Plenty of things to bat around on Saturday during the brainstorming session.

Edit: Mmm-- I should clarify on the corp name.  Kindred of Scarecrows is meant to be a reference to finding companionship among those who also share the condition of being an outcast/exile.  It has a direct parallel with the founding character's reason for being in that condition, but the name is not meant to suggest all Kindred are ill-marked.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2012, 21:26 by Ken »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #46 on: 01 Aug 2012, 21:25 »

Side note for clarity: I meant that anybody could come up with a way to explain the reasons why an outcast still got capsuleer training, but not for docking. My apologies for having communicated without being clear on that; it was not intended to be dismissive in the least.

Based on in-game OOC conversation, I think there are a number of people confused by the requests for Thukker RP, docking limited to their stations, and related discussion on that. Quite a few of us understood it to be a Thukker caravan, but now I see that you mean a group of outcasts who take up a Thukker-like existence.

Some pilots may do something in parallel that could cooperate with SPOOX, because you have a lot of good ideas here (especially the fresh start idea, which works well). Perhaps a loose coalition of nomadic bands that occasionally work together in terms of trade or such.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2012, 21:27 by Casiella »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #47 on: 01 Aug 2012, 21:34 »

Ok, gotcha.  No problem.  Reconciling expectations across the population of interested participants is exactly why I plan to hold a meeting to discuss the specifics and reach a consensus.  That is still set for Saturday at 2000 Eden Standard in the Kindred Mix channel.  Your (and everyone else's) participation at that meeting is greatly desired.  I think it best to attempt any project of this sort from a single launching point.  Frankly, I think the project likely to fail if it fractures into smaller groups with more specialized visions.

Quite a few of us understood it to be a Thukker caravan, but now I see that you mean a group of outcasts who take up a Thukker-like existence.

I would challenge that bifurcation with this question: Is there a fundamental difference between a group of outcasts who take up a Thukker-like existence and a Thukker caravan?  Temper your answer with the understanding that such a group of outcasts would naturally include many Thukkers.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2012, 21:38 by Ken »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 02 Aug 2012, 00:05 »

Potential Kink - PvP

While most activities can be done without the use of voice comms, much of Eve's PvP relies on Voice Comms; it may break the immersion for some.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #49 on: 02 Aug 2012, 05:31 »

Yea, there's some necessary SoDB that has to come with voice comms.  No good way around that though.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #50 on: 02 Aug 2012, 09:45 »

I think it best to attempt any project of this sort from a single launching point.  Frankly, I think the project likely to fail if it fractures into smaller groups with more specialized visions.

Then some of the restrictions would have to be considered. Constraints breed creativity, of course, but they would need to be balanced. (I'll do my best to be there, but Saturdays are unpredictable for me because the family sometimes wants to do stuff then.)

Quite a few of us understood it to be a Thukker caravan, but now I see that you mean a group of outcasts who take up a Thukker-like existence.

I would challenge that bifurcation with this question: Is there a fundamental difference between a group of outcasts who take up a Thukker-like existence and a Thukker caravan?  Temper your answer with the understanding that such a group of outcasts would naturally include many Thukkers.

Yes, because while the Thukkers take just about anybody, that's not to say that they don't have a culture. Thukkers may be independent-minded but there's still a tribal structure in place with all that that implies. See the Thukker news archive for more on that. Of course, linkages and parallels exist, but generally, the Thukkers adopt some outcasts into their tribe but that doesn't mean that they then take on all the characteristics of full-on exiles.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #51 on: 02 Aug 2012, 10:50 »

Yes, because while the Thukkers take just about anybody, that's not to say that they don't have a culture. Thukkers may be independent-minded but there's still a tribal structure in place with all that that implies. See the Thukker news archive for more on that. Of course, linkages and parallels exist, but generally, the Thukkers adopt some outcasts into their tribe but that doesn't mean that they then take on all the characteristics of full-on exiles.

I agree.  The Thukkers have a distinct culture.  Based on your answer, I gather that the difference in visions lies in the expectation of a tribal theme/structure with Thukker trappings vice a structure/theme that is not explicitly tribal.  If you allow that the participating characters come from widely varied backgrounds (rather than an extant tribal community or heritage), is the latter (not-explicitly-tribal) vision not the more applicable one to this purpose?  Moreover, is it not a better choice in general because it does not necessarily impose the tribal cultural elements and their implications on any one participant unless they desire them?

[spoiler]And forgive me for being confused at your confusion, but I think I was pretty clear about things in the OP:

Kindred of Scarecrows [SPOOX] is an alt roleplay challenge corporation with a Minmatar theme, having IC connections to and parallels with the Thukker tribe and their MO.  ...  We will form a community of expatriates and exiles, forever on the move, and see how far the journey takes us.

Connections to and parallels with =/= closely identifying with or membership within.  If I left that unclear somehow, that's on me.[/spoiler]

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #52 on: 02 Aug 2012, 10:57 »

I'm certainly not saying you're doing it wrong or anything (which would be meaningless for all sorts of reasons here, heh). And the confusion is my fault, definitely. Perhaps I was seeing what I wanted to see, that's all. :)

Reyd Karris

« Reply #53 on: 02 Aug 2012, 12:35 »

Conspiracy theorist who flat out believes the Republic government is a front for an alien invasion.
Where do I sign up?  :D

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #54 on: 02 Aug 2012, 20:13 »

Taking another look at it; would expanding the PvE opportunities to include the non-Pirate null-sec factions help to make it a more "exiles" feel?

Thukkers, Syndicate, ORE, Mordu's Legion?

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #55 on: 02 Aug 2012, 23:04 »

Think I'll give it a shot. Gonna make an alt and work on a story.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Daniel LSiata

• Clonejack
« Reply #56 on: 03 Aug 2012, 08:41 »

Going to see if I can find an alt slot. If so, I will most certainly be throwing someone in for the ride.

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #57 on: 03 Aug 2012, 10:13 »

Ken,

Your OP says one thing but then you are arguing a second with your statement below
Thukkers thus far have been mis-identified as "outcasts" and are instead Gypsies or Nomad's, I tend to associate them with european Gypsies pre-WW1. To be completely clear, Thukker are a Tribal society even more intense and extreme than their planet bound brethren. Members of their society are trained to fill multiple roles and theirs is a society where each person must absolutely trust and rely on the other members of their clan. They still partake in the Voluval ceremony and all that it entails. In fact, they do "extreme" Voluval if you will.

"For instance, many Thukker feel the Voluval ceremony, central to the personal identity of most Minmatar, should be administered only in space. Some extreme interpretations require the ritual to be performed in vac-suits, so strong is the Thukker affinity for the void."
Source
I'm thinking semi-transparent Vac suits for these ceremonies.

Thukker's have no more affinity for outcasts than the rest of minmatar society, maybe even less. Especially people with bad Voluval marks. Bad Voluval marks tend to indicate mental instability or other "real" problems with the person. Not just idle marks, or incorrect marks. These marks have a stigma because of the people who have had them before. Someone like this would be considered a liability in Minmatar and Thukker society and not trusted enough to be useful and if you aren't useful, and trusted then you don't stick around for long.

Ken I am glad you have clarified your stance on your caravan. I wish you luck.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 03 Aug 2012, 13:50 »

Logan said it much better. I think there are some misunderstandings here about what it means to be a Thukker, or at the very least some disagreements on it.

I hope you folks have a great time, and I hope to see you in space. (Still hopeful to attend tomorrow but can't commit until my wife figures out our weekend plans.)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #59 on: 03 Aug 2012, 13:58 »

I'm with Logan.

But however you work out the justification, the challenge sounds like a lot of fun. As someone who was keen on caravans and Miz's "Thukker deployment" concept I've been wishing I could shuffle some characters to join in.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6