Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 1st Praetorian Guard is an Amarrian Imperial Navy-affiliated Special Operations unit? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 3332 times)

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
Re: Halloween
« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2012, 15:09 »

It's weird, really. Halloween was definitely a thing when I was a kid. A long time ago now. You would make Halloween-y things at schools and pumpkins would ham-fistedly be made into lanterns. There would be ghost stories and such. We didn't trick or treat, though. I have this vague recollection of maybe being slightly jealous of our American cousins and their candy harvesting antics while adults were disapproving of the whole thing. Halloween wasn't really a big deal, though.

Somehow, it's all changed. Trick or treating has been imported wholesale and our exploitative capitalist scumbags beloved retailers have fully embraced the opportunity to sell vast quantities of tat on a massive scale. It's become a big deal in the same way that Christmas and Valentines Day became a big deal in the past. Whatever meaning these things once had has been lost in the revenue maelstrom. It's not something I can ever embrace. I'd prefer to have the old pagan festivals back myself.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2012, 18:07 »

Our house, and indeed our street, has long held that we will not give sweets to the little bastards at all. This is due to having our houses egged over a decade ago. Sorry, you sticky little shits, the generation that came before you ruined it for you all. And yet, new children continue being born, each new spoor more loathsome than the last, and inevitably a few gaggles of them make the trip down our street, pounding on doors even though the lights are out, the curtains are drawn, and not so much as a single cardboard skeleton or carved pumpkin is visible to indicate that we're willing to share in the merriment. Fuck Halloween.

+1

I did the lights off and curtain closed thing tonight, and so did most of the people in the neighbourhood judging from the houses I walked past (or they went out for the night. damn their social lives)  It's not due to any past egg related trauma though, I just don't see why I'd want to give candy out to a bunch of little scrotes I don't even know.  If I'm going to buy candy, I'm going to eat it.

Ofc that did mean hiding in my own house from a bunch of children  :| Dinner was fraught. Beep quietly microwave, they might hear you!

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2012, 18:12 »

Actually hiding from the kids is quite fun :D

When I was in Ireland sharing a house with a few filipinos we used to get some beer, camp in by the fire and cackle each time some snot nosed crotch spawn came knocking.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Vikarion

« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2012, 21:14 »

I like Halloween.

The SO LOVES Halloween.  It would be Halloween year round with a month break for Christmas if she had her way.

This is acceptable. We endorse it.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #20 on: 01 Nov 2012, 14:34 »

Curse this wretched holiday, and everyone who participates in it - especially the tidal waves of repulsive, grubby children that besiege my house, expecting free sucrose treats for dressing up like a pack of pint-sized cretins.

Our house, and indeed our street, has long held that we will not give sweets to the little bastards at all. This is due to having our houses egged over a decade ago. Sorry, you sticky little shits, the generation that came before you ruined it for you all. And yet, new children continue being born, each new spoor more loathsome than the last, and inevitably a few gaggles of them make the trip down our street, pounding on doors even though the lights are out, the curtains are drawn, and not so much as a single cardboard skeleton or carved pumpkin is visible to indicate that we're willing to share in the merriment. Fuck Halloween.

The eternal question ... what started first, the egging of houses or the withholding of treats?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 01 Nov 2012, 18:04 »

That's not really a reason to egg houses...
Pages: 1 [2]