Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Guristas pirate organization was started by two deserters from the Caldari navy? Fatal and the Rabbit?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Presenting "Family portrait" by Candra  (Read 5532 times)

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
Re: Presenting "Family portrait" by Candra
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2011, 02:51 »

Who lets their daughter wear a dress that short?

A Gallente >:9.

But seriously, very nice!

As far as asking too much and being difficult, there are two types of artists in this world, the ones who snarl at excessive constraints and the ones who are dying for a client that actually cares about the result.  The latter tells them they are working with someone who actually has a grasp of aesthetics and will truly appreciate the work that went into it.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2011, 13:33 »

Wrong. Ni Kunni women are the hottest!
Ya! What she said!   :evil:
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2011, 14:36 »

I still believe my portrait is much more realistic.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2011, 15:14 »

Great pic.

Also, the baby is plotting. He's like an EVE version of Stewie Griffin
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2011, 16:30 »

Turned out awesome!  Love the detail work on the uniform in particular.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jan 2011, 13:42 »

Pretty nice. The drawing style makes me thing a bit like the family would be made of plastic (yes, specially those), but otherwise, pretty good. And anyway, the Gallente are supposed to use plastic everywhere.

Who lets their daughter wear a dress that short?
Admitted, swimsuits are a different case, but from personal experience on speding a few hours every day in and at the pool, lots of today's swimsuits - even for young girls - don't have enough cloth to stay on if their wearers would actually swim.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2011, 18:03 »

...don't have enough cloth to stay on if their wearers would actually swim.
^This. I have a bikini that can be likened to dental floss.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2011, 18:42 »

Pretty nice. The drawing style makes me thing a bit like the family would be made of plastic (yes, specially those), but otherwise, pretty good. And anyway, the Gallente are supposed to use plastic everywhere.
Plastic... that's what I was looking for.

I know why this picture is a bit disturbing. It's the uncanny valley, and this picture is hitting it. When I look at this picture and try to view it within its own context - a picture of a happy family - I get this feeling... like every single neuron in my primitive lizard brain is telling me "there's something wrong here." I get the same feeling from seeing those hideous plastic baby robots they have in Japan.

I know what would fix it. The smiles. They're currently almost predatory. Sharklike. If someone's smiling like that at me, I know they're either going to try to kill me in the next five minutes, or try to sell me something I don't really need.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #23 on: 16 Jan 2011, 04:58 »

Plastic... that's what I was looking for.

I know why this picture is a bit disturbing. It's the uncanny valley, and this picture is hitting it. When I look at this picture and try to view it within its own context - a picture of a happy family - I get this feeling... like every single neuron in my primitive lizard brain is telling me "there's something wrong here." I get the same feeling from seeing those hideous plastic baby robots they have in Japan.

I know what would fix it. The smiles. They're currently almost predatory. Sharklike. If someone's smiling like that at me, I know they're either going to try to kill me in the next five minutes, or try to sell me something I don't really need.

This tbh - but then again, its a family photo / picture, so fake smilys are almost mandatory.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jan 2011, 05:27 »

The fake smiles and the plasticky feel makes it look like a family who desperately tries to look happy despite not being so. Disturbing, but I guess in a realistic way. As in, such photos might exist in general - I don't know enough of the RP to judge if this is appropriate in the case of this particular family.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jan 2011, 10:35 »

I think it's good. I always like seeing what people, or the artists they pick, come up with to portray their characters. I'd love to have a few character portraits done, alas the pool of artists who accept ISK is vanishingly small, so far as I've been able to ascertain.

Odelya

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jan 2011, 17:26 »

Gorgeous! The composition and the smiles give a fifties look. Somehow—and apart from the civilian garments, of course—it reminds me much of pictures from the Pahlavi era in Iran, like here: http://fis-iran.org/en/galleries/pahlavi-2.

I smiled.

P.S.: Khanid Women. No doubt.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jan 2011, 22:00 »

That child deeply disturbs me.

Something about the exorcist
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #28 on: 17 Jan 2011, 06:19 »

"Plastic" may just be fitting. Vieve's description is also accurate; someone who pays attention to the backstory I've created without actually talking to her about it IC or OOC at all. Too bad we're not all that perceptive, huh?  ;)

If people have done the math, Anette will be 11 this year, and Seri will be 29, and Rhea would have been 27. She was born in their late teens, while Rhea has a mild learning developmental delay (mental age lower than biological, for example). The pregnancy and birth was traumatic, so she was kept in the care of Seriphyn for much of her growing up (or, Seriphyn's father, more accurately). One will also notice that Seriphyn and Rhea have not been together as this unit for that whole time. They only came together when Seriphyn swallowed his emotional cowardice and, in desperation of his sorry romantic situation, proposed to Rhea while finally revealing Anette to be her daughter this whole time (nice bit of emotional blackmail).

This picture was "taken" a day after Seriphyn's promotion to Luminaire General...at this point they have been engaged for only a month or two. Anette, while receptive to "pretty young women", is still getting to know her mother, while Seriphyn and Rhea are attempting to consolidate their relationship after the years of constant separation and reunion. Folks will also notice that Seriphyn was not loyal during this time either; with Rhea and Jaidon planetside in Solitude, Seriphyn needed to fill his empty hole (by poking into others, hurhur). Then, when Rhea and Jaidon were "killed", it traumatized Seriphyn; he could not even stay loyal or give up his career for the family, never had a chance to apologize for his unloyal behaviour, and so on.

So yes, plastic and "hiding secrets" might be a fitting description. I still need to explore how Rhea and Jaidon might still be "alive" and speak to Seriphyn while he is dreaming...the Slave body is just a body, yet their "existence" is carried on...real :mindfuck: right there.
Pages: 1 [2]