Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That greasy, deep-fried Caldari takeout food is eaten with tongs and remains popular in the Federation?  (The Burning Life pp 40,41)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Crews (fuuuuuuuuu!)  (Read 7260 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Crews (fuuuuuuuuu!)
« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2011, 15:38 »

That's along the lines of what I envisioned as well. o/\o Gottii.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2011, 17:23 »

I will be quite happy when this comes through...

That said, a thought on the "OMGwillitbedoneright" discussion: I asked OOC channel if it's been explicitely stated what Capsuleers replace in a ship. Aside from the "bridge crew" rule of thumb, there doesn't appear to be a given answer. This leaves a LOT of leeway for CCP to operate in. Are we processing flight telemetry from our drones that would normally require a man in a seat (or several) with a joystick to fly? There's a few crew off. What about several crewpeople operating dozens of seperate sensor/shield projector/armor repair nodes, being replaced by us simply going *click* on an appropriate module? Crew numbers could definitely drop by a significant number.

Of course, there's still plenty of room to make some... poorer choices as well, but I sincerely hope the community retains its calm if capsuleer ships come out with significantly fewer crew (a loss of, say, up to 1/6 would be stretching it in my opinion, but not worth starting a raegstorm over). I just hope they actually rationalize a significant drop in crew if there is one for capsuleer ships.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2011, 18:14 »

I'm willing to bet that it will end up being more along the lines of 1/3rd.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #18 on: 31 Mar 2011, 03:20 »

I will be quite happy when this comes through...

That said, a thought on the "OMGwillitbedoneright" discussion: I asked OOC channel if it's been explicitely stated what Capsuleers replace in a ship. Aside from the "bridge crew" rule of thumb, there doesn't appear to be a given answer. This leaves a LOT of leeway for CCP to operate in. Are we processing flight telemetry from our drones that would normally require a man in a seat (or several) with a joystick to fly? There's a few crew off. What about several crewpeople operating dozens of seperate sensor/shield projector/armor repair nodes, being replaced by us simply going *click* on an appropriate module? Crew numbers could definitely drop by a significant number.

Of course, there's still plenty of room to make some... poorer choices as well, but I sincerely hope the community retains its calm if capsuleer ships come out with significantly fewer crew (a loss of, say, up to 1/6 would be stretching it in my opinion, but not worth starting a raegstorm over). I just hope they actually rationalize a significant drop in crew if there is one for capsuleer ships.

I've always liked the idea of ship crews varying depending on capsuleer skill. With a week-old graduate needing an almost full crew for their frigates and cruisers while an older pilot (in ingame terms having all lvl V in appropriate skills) flying a crew-free frigate hull and only a token crew in the cruiser.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2011, 04:37 »

More PF and content about crews ? Sure, omnomnomnom

Another damn thing to pay for to be pvp efficient ? No way. Im done with stuff escalation. No we have to buy faction, faction ammo, expensive rigs, T2, and even boosters for some picky pilots. And T3 is available, when will it be mandatory ? Stop it, please. :/

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 31 Mar 2011, 06:44 »

I would just be happy with a crew slot, similar to a rigging slot of something. 

This would be just lovely!

Kazuma Ry

• Cardinal Lieutenant
  • Wetgraver
  • Enlightening a Slave near you
« Reply #21 on: 31 Mar 2011, 11:17 »

I've always liked the idea of ship crews varying depending on capsuleer skill. With a week-old graduate needing an almost full crew for their frigates and cruisers while an older pilot (in ingame terms having all lvl V in appropriate skills) flying a crew-free frigate hull and only a token crew in the cruiser.

I always felt, at least for frigates that used Ammo (Missiles, Arty, rail, etc), that even if you have the skill to lvl 5, their would be some crew in the weapons room to make sure to clear any ammo jams that might occur.
"White as the falling snow. Black as our Citadels burned against the sky."

"Faith gained through knowledge and knowledge gained through Faith. In service to God, do we find the answers"

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 31 Mar 2011, 11:47 »

Did you know... That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 31 Mar 2011, 11:50 »

And even then, I seem to recall that frigates don't have any crew. I could remember incorrectly, of course, or that may change when we get these new data.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #24 on: 31 Mar 2011, 11:55 »

I always felt, at least for frigates that used Ammo (Missiles, Arty, rail, etc), that even if you have the skill to lvl 5, their would be some crew in the weapons room to make sure to clear any ammo jams that might occur.

I recall some old BPs from the early days of the game that included crew numbers. IIRC, the only frigate that had more than just the pilot as crew was the Punisher, which carried a total crew of 3.

I'm really looking forward to something definitive out of CCP on this. I recall the original crew figures were immense - battleships with many thousands of crew, 600 in the Thorax, etc. Later this seems to have been greatly reduced, with a relatively small crew living in escape pods and just covering basic maintenance of the ship.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2011, 12:32 »

And even then, I seem to recall that frigates don't have any crew. I could remember incorrectly, of course, or that may change when we get these new data.

Some do, some don't, I believe.

after all, the size and complexity of an executioner and a punisher are quite different.
\o/

DrizzCat

• Amarrian Loyalist
  • Wetgraver
    • Bastet's Organization of Mining
« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2011, 15:21 »

I recall some old BPs from the early days of the game that included crew numbers. IIRC, the only frigate that had more than just the pilot as crew was the Punisher, which carried a total crew of 3.

You called for Blueprints?  I hid them in the Spoiler Tag as that there is ALOT of them.  As far as i know it's all of the ones released

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Edit: Missed the Punisher one
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2011, 15:25 by DrizzCat »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 31 Mar 2011, 15:24 »

[mod]Split out the discussion on TonyG.[/mod]

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #28 on: 31 Mar 2011, 20:25 »

I guess I'm not seeing (or grasping) the <awesome> in this. We know ships have crews. Is it really important to know how many on average die? :S

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 31 Mar 2011, 20:28 »

For me, I'll just be glad to have a supereasy way to answer new players.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4