Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Daedalus X pulled off a Capital ship heist in a level two wormhole. read more here

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Pirate and/or Vigilante Angle  (Read 6774 times)

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
Re: The Pirate and/or Vigilante Angle
« Reply #30 on: 13 Apr 2011, 19:58 »

I assume they still do this, but EM used to have anti-pirate campaigns in which they'd declare war on somebody that they decided presented a threat to the Republic. That gets around the issues with flashiness quite nicely.

Yes, we still do, but normally only when we're concentrating on one bunch of pirates in particular. Generally, we just shoot them and wear the sec-hits.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 13 Apr 2011, 20:12 »

Then, from an immersive standpoint, this strikes me as correct. The pilots shooting at non-outlaws have taken the law into their own hands and acted as, well, vigilantes (*nod to the OP*). The State - in the general, non-Caldari sense - is particularly jealous of its right to use violence, and thus "anti-pirates" who are not simply "anti-outlaw" have crossed an ethical line.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #32 on: 14 Apr 2011, 07:04 »

Did I even once mention you? The post was a generalized reply to some of the other replies in this thread. Should probably start cherrypicking quotes before I write up replies, but the point I made still stands.

Perhaps it does, but it would help you next time not to be to aggressive in smacking down any concerned remarks; “It's not the game that needs to change, it's you” and “Harden the fuck up or get the fuck out” don't help much on constructive arguments.

Regardless, I apologize for taking it as an insult directed at me, personally.

There's absolutely nothing inherently wrong with the system as it is.

Except there is.

In reply to this, and everything else said that might claim that I don't know how the anti-pirate's life is, I'd like to point out that I recently finished hitting 0.0 in sec-rating, after spending years with a low rating due popping non-flashy pirates. It was as low down as -3.7 once.

This is directly the nature of what I feel should be addressed, even if in a minor way. When your a pirate, you can accept the cost to your sec-rating and simply blow up and/or pod anything you see, ransoms and cargo-confiscations optional. If you want to skirt the edges, keep it high enough to get into High-sec, at least some of them, then it will require more work, yes. Something along the lines of 'resisting the urge to blow up more people until you fix your sec rating more'.

This happen to be the exact problem anti-pirates have in regards to shooting non-flashers. Any outlaw pirate can kill anyone anytime, except, they got to stay in low/null-sec to do so. That is a cost they have to take into account all day every day, but with it comes the freedom to shoot anyone, anytime.

Anti-pirates can accept the costs fully and go outlaw themselves. Even if they settle down in a local area and shoot only known pirates, outlaws or no, there is a big problem – any other player who don't know that these will not shoot them would still be perfectly free to shoot the anti-pirates as if they were pirates themselves, and even if they knew, the anti-pirates would still be flashing, legitimate targets to anyone. Having standings set to anyone they work with in high-sec or anything would still only go so far.

About security-ratings for pilots, I've been thinking. When you hit -5.0 your free game to anyone. However, all the way down to -4.9 anyone who shoots you first will still take a full sec-hit for aggression, and should they manage to destroy your ship, a full sec-hit for destruction of said ship. God's help them if they pod the guy.

What if, sec-hit for aggression and destruction of ships, scaled with the sec-rating of the one being attacked? I think this was discussed elsewhere once before. I think it would work. Anti-piracy is not a game-mechanic, it's a state of mind. There are no direct mechanics that support fighting piracy, but there are the mechanics that deal with piracy itself and bounty-hunting. If someone with a very low, but not yet outlaw level of sec-rating is attacked and blown up, if the aggressor(s) take a smaller hit than hitting a higher-rated player, say, a 3.0 or even -1.0 player, then the slippery slope of hitting outlaw will not be quite as slippery.

Pirates who want to become pirates and don't care about outlaw can still get outlaw, they simply have to kill more ships and possibly pods to get there than now. Pirates that want to 'play the rules' can still do so, their reputation for helping pirates can still be acted upon by other players. And vigilantes that wish to stop them but still be able to live in high-sec can still do so, but it won't require endless mission-running all day every day to keep their sec-ratings up.

If this could be implemented along with any possible re-vamp of the bounty system (as discussed in Aria's tread) it might make 'vigilantism' feel more like vigilantism than piracy-lite.

And lastly, most to the point presented in the OP, about piracy/vigilantism and the RP angles...

One thing that has puzzled me is somewhat of a trend with players. When you play this game, you do it when you want, where you want and how you want to, so anyone who 'defects' to become a pirate are free to do so, obviously. But I've always found it somewhat strange that none seem to want to become, well, privateers, in the true meaning of the word. Say your a Republican, and you want to tweak your RP to become a pirate. This usually involves a type of 'betrayal' by going off to join the Angels or whatever. Fair choice. But would it ever interest anyone to make a type of privateer group, that hunt in, say, the bleak lands, trying to hurt the amarrians and their very existence there, directly?

On could still be 'loyal' to one's parent nation, but not really in ways they might publicly approve of. UK struck me as somewhat of an alliance with this feeling on them, except they seem to be far more anti-pirate and 'only' very anti-slavery. Then again this might be a poor example, UK lives in 0.0 after all...

Anyhow, my point is, has anyone ever tried to go the 'outlaw for my nation' type, or is there any problems with this that I don't see, or is there simply none that tried or though of this?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 14 Apr 2011, 08:10 »

I'm still not clear what it is that's seen as a problem here.

Anti-piracy work tends to be expensive and hell on your sec status.

So?

In the real world, criminals are faced with several consequenses for being branded a 'criminal' to begin with, and one of these is to be a target for the police, enforcing law and order for everyone's good.

In EVE-online, if you are a Capsuleer, your nearly totally immune to any lasting retaliation due CONCORD, and anyone who wish to 'enforce' law and order, let alone any feelable consequences for commiting crimes, will soon end up looking like a criminal himself, and thus be shunned by the 'police' on equal footing with any other 'criminal'.

This is a problem, because it makes consequences for 'crimes' lacking, thus making distinctions like 'pirates' or 'law enforcers' nearly meaningless. I think it would be alot more fun for everyone if the notion 'pirate' actually had a cost and one of those would be an 'opposite' force to oppose them in any meaningfull way.

I endorse this product/service.

The current system is not ridiculous, but still remains unpractical/not very credible. And it helps way too much the pirates.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2011, 08:14 by Lyn Farel »

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #34 on: 14 Apr 2011, 09:07 »

I feel like re-stating everything Miz and I wrote, but that would be kinda pointless since I would just be repeating what has been already been said. It's all in the thread.

But I must address the fact that anti-piracy is supposedly not a mechanic. It most definitely is. The fact you can shoot outlaws is a huge mechanic supporting anti-piracy. HUUUUGE. Obviously, some pirates skirt this.. but that was already discussed. Also, one should note there are plenty of outlaws for anti-pirate folks to shoot. It's not like everyone and their dog is playing with the sec status mechanics.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 14 Apr 2011, 09:44 »

It helps the pirates too much? I don't follow -- most of the ones I know tend to just avoid highsec completely and use "associates" (alts) for resupply. Which disappointed me for a long time as a trader, but there you go.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #36 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:07 »

There's also the thing that it's not even that hard to regain sec. If you're capable of taking on pirates through going flashy yourself, that means you're flying something with semi-decent tank and you're well aware of the various risky mechanics of lowsec at the very least. Add a cloak and you're good to go.

Head to nearest NPC nullsec and pop a BS, shift system, pop another, shift system, pop a third and so on and just keep going. The ultimate ship for this would be the Vagabond as it seems to be made for nullsec roaming and avoiding hostile gatecamps and roams, but it's doable in any ship that's got the combination of decent speed, decent agility, decent tank and dps. All it needs is the cloak to let you deal with bubbles, truly safe safespots when going afk and so on and so forth.

This is mostly safe, mostly quick, and it'll give you ridiculous sec increases along with money and loot if you so choose. Hell, you can keep shooting pirates if you want to. They go to null too, and there's no sec loss for popping them there.

I'll acknowledge that yes, when going flashy yourself to pop pirates that means you become a criminal yourself... but isn't that the entire point? See the former posts in the thread for the whole 'shady line between practicality and legality' schtick, and add the following: It's supposed to be harder to take the high road. This perfectly balances things out, as far as I'm concerned. People who embrace crime also face the much higher risk by neutralizing the concept of 'safe' space. People who want to be safe from lawful retribution pay the price of not getting to pop whoever they feel have been naughty.

Then there's the ones playing the middle game, being criminals while working just enough to stay above the 'losing highsec' line or being anti-pirate aggressively but paying the price of becoming yellow/low sec rating. Why should those who do it 'for the right reasons' have an easier time of it than those who don't? They both commit the exact same crimes, no matter their reasoning.

It's all about facing the consequences of your choices and actions. It's about deciding whether the price is worth it. For the intrepid anti-pirate... it'll be worth it. For the Bounty Hunter? Hell, it'll increase their notoriety and they may even enjoy being considered the same as their prey.

I find little problem with this concept, and I think it's quite balanced. I see absolutely no reason to make it any easier for the 'good' people than it is for the 'bad'. They both have problems to surmount, and that is what makes things balanced. Besides... they all chose their path knowing the consequences.

If the price is too high for you to pay... well, I guess it's for someone else. You'll probably be able to find a dozen other things to do before the week is past.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:11 »

What if, sec-hit for aggression and destruction of ships, scaled with the sec-rating of the one being attacked? I think this was discussed elsewhere once before. I think it would work. Anti-piracy is not a game-mechanic, it's a state of mind. There are no direct mechanics that support fighting piracy, but there are the mechanics that deal with piracy itself and bounty-hunting. If someone with a very low, but not yet outlaw level of sec-rating is attacked and blown up, if the aggressor(s) take a smaller hit than hitting a higher-rated player, say, a 3.0 or even -1.0 player, then the slippery slope of hitting outlaw will not be quite as slippery.

My memory for patch notes suggests that this is actually currently the case, along with taking greater sec hits in higher-sec systems. A brief sleepy search at 6am fails to find the patch notes my memory tells me are out there, but I remember the whining when it was changed.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #38 on: 14 Apr 2011, 13:00 »

Head to nearest NPC nullsec and pop a BS, shift system, pop another, shift system, pop a third and so on and just keep going.

The sec-status jig: circle a battleship, warp and jump.

The rest of this thread sums up the practical business of anti-piracy pretty well.

I think the original objection was that if you're going to hunt bad-guys it shouldn't hurt. If you restrict yourself to hunting outlaws -- those who let their sec-status slip below -5 -- that's pretty much the case: the only hurt is that often they know their business and hunting them can be a challenge. If you steel yourself to hunt also those who are a blight upon space but who are smart and cunning enough to smile at the authorities and never let their records get that bad, you will, yourself, take criminal flags and security status hits. This grows worse once you realise that simply hitting at the visible face of piracy does it little harm, serving in part to entertain the pirates, and that achieving change is likely to involve other approaches as well, including identifying and hunting those who support pirates.

There are good mentions in this thread of the ethical questions this raises and the role it means you play.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #39 on: 14 Apr 2011, 16:30 »

It helps the pirates too much? I don't follow -- most of the ones I know tend to just avoid highsec completely and use "associates" (alts) for resupply. Which disappointed me for a long time as a trader, but there you go.

In my perfect eve world killing someone without any reason would makes you go under 0 of ss automatically, and 2 aggressions in a week for example would do the same. You are definitly flagged as a permanent outlaw by CONCORD and shot on sight by everything related, sentries included. If you want to regain your sec status, you can farm more or less the same way than currently, but you will also be tied by a time stasis depending on your negative ss (materializing the time to atone for your crimes, much like in prison).

Also, being under -0,5 ss or -1 ss would also mean perma red flag and pirate to CONCORD. It is the only thing that makes sense for me. If you kill someone IRL, you go to jail or you live like an outlaw. If you agress someone, you go to court and might go to jail, but doing it twice will definitly cause you trouble.  

Of course it is very harsh, but would also force factionned people to go to the war dec to kill their enemies (or to FW when possible), and also force people to be more aware of the consequences of their choices. Understand that I have nothing against the big flashy pirates, and they would remain the same in my concept. But occasionnal people "ol ol I can kill you its fun, anyway im gonna grind up my sec status not to be a pirate" would definitly and directly get outlawed at the first sign of deviance, as it should be. It would at last avoid anti pirates to go GCC everytime they want to kill a non GCC pirate. It would also make NRDS more profitable and suitable for pilots using it. It would clean a little the low sec and maybe, who knows, redynamize it if the only threat here are real big outlaws and not just everyone. You are ready to play a pirate ? Deal with it, accept the consequences.

Ofc I am not expecting people to agree with me, as usual.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2011, 16:33 by Lyn Farel »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2011, 17:04 »

Permastatus of any sort in EVE sounds very dubious to me.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #41 on: 15 Apr 2011, 05:18 »

I did only mentionned a perma status that can be regain the same way as it is already, but with an added time stasis. Though this is secondary to my eyes and the real point in my idea revolves around the outlaw status being just under 0 of sec status, and killing someone would automatically get you under 0.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #42 on: 15 Apr 2011, 07:07 »

Still trying to figure out why though. What's with the hate towards the criminals?

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #43 on: 15 Apr 2011, 07:18 »

I guess it's a realism thing.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #44 on: 15 Apr 2011, 08:20 »

Still trying to figure out why though. What's with the hate towards the criminals?

No hate on my behalf. Realism and gears of gameplay mostly. Would not change anything for the real outlaws.
Pages: 1 2 [3]