Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Serpentis stole a Federation Navy Nyx, here is the  news item

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Return to SiSi Part III - TATTOOS YO (And new shades and new vests for men)  (Read 15390 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

Saw a dev post (CCP T0rfi, I think) explaining it as a design limitation of the engine.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Ah, that sucks. Seriphyn is heighted humbly at 5'10, which is fine for me I guess.

I don't like the monstrously tall 7 foot characters anyway :P

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Besides, capsuleers have apparently a limited set of tastes in hairstyles, which in my view has a significant effect. And the fact that the engine doesn't support varying heights will only make this worse.

Is it a case of engine limitation or no feature implemented?

From what I understand, its the scaling complexity that would arise from multiple heights. With everyone the same height you can build clothing the same way, using basically cut and paste poly models with differing textures.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod

Damn shame, too, for those of us playing 4'11" (150cm) tall characters. >.<

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Ah yeah, 4' 11" is far more believable and common, at least by RL standard. Shame...

Crucifire

My fear with scaling heights, as I remember posting a while back in a dev blog feedback thread to the chagrin of many players, is that most players just take their height to max or minimum anyways. Ever played Phantasy Star Online or, even worse, Aion? It's almost all midgets and giants. Screw that. (Except PSO is actually an awesome game)

The common EVE player might be better than that, but it's still a fear I'd have.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

My fear with scaling heights, as I remember posting a while back in a dev blog feedback thread to the chagrin of many players, is that most players just take their height to max or minimum anyways. Ever played Phantasy Star Online or, even worse, Aion? It's almost all midgets and giants. Screw that. (Except PSO is actually an awesome game)

The common EVE player might be better than that, but it's still a fear I'd have.

I think this would be less of an issue in a lot of games if there was some indication of how tall you actually are IE: you move the slider and as you do, it tells you your height in feet and or CM. I know Nikita is 5'4" but I'd probably end up making her near the bottom end of height if there wasn't a way to tell how tall that height actually is.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter

Saw a dev post (CCP T0rfi, I think) explaining it as a design limitation of the engine.

Not quite sure why that would be the case. Animations scale with the length of the bones, being all about angles of rotation in the joints. And the clothes already scale to match how much flesh there is on a character. Honestly, I can't really think of any insurmountable obstacles that would prevent Carbon from handling differing character heights, but then again I'm going just on this one post and what little I know of Carbon from an outside perspective.

That and it's 6:30 am here and I just worked a 13 hour shift, so possibly my brain's not quite firing an all cylinders.

Don't suppose he elaborated? Linky plz?

Casiella

• Demigod

Lyn Farel

Yes technically you just have to resize the bones (and enveloppes) depending on the size of the 3D wireframe and the animation will follow. I don't know what kept them away from doing so.

Jev North

Simple scaling works for a figure that doesn't interact with the environment. Things get a lot more complicated very quickly when you want to show e.g. a character typing on a console, and ensure that its fingers are hitting the keyboard, rather than waving about in the air above it or plunged wrist-deep into its innards. Maybe some IK can fix that, but it has its own special headaches, and your engine'd need to be set up to handle it.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Maybe some IK can fix that, but it has its own special headaches, and your engine'd need to be set up to handle it.

... I just had flashbacks to my animation course last year. Fucking inverse kinematics, how do they work? :bash:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter

Found it.

Thanks. yeah, the way he explained it makes sense.

Lyn Farel

Simple scaling works for a figure that doesn't interact with the environment. Things get a lot more complicated very quickly when you want to show e.g. a character typing on a console, and ensure that its fingers are hitting the keyboard, rather than waving about in the air above it or plunged wrist-deep into its innards. Maybe some IK can fix that, but it has its own special headaches, and your engine'd need to be set up to handle it.

Yeah probably due to their own engine I suppose, because it is quite easy to do on more developped usual engines like UDK from what I have heard.

I hope for them their engine will evolve though because that kind of thing is going to definitly annoy them everytime they will try to animate something.

Casiella

• Demigod

Yeah, another example of CCP re-inventing the wheel instead of just buying tires at Pep Boys.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8