Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Khanid and Sansha ships were originally half lasers half missiles split ships?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tell me about: Minecraft  (Read 5141 times)

Graanvlokkie

Tell me about: Minecraft
« on: 29 Oct 2010, 01:49 »

I was introduced to Minecraft last night by Sephrim. Now, finding myself in a place in Eve where I seem to spin ships alot, new plans pending, this game looks like an awesome time filler.

Its a single player sandbox resource gathering and building game (from what I have read the multiplayer lacks features). You run around gathering resouces, in first person, in a massive world to build stuff. What you can build seems really impressive! Its like super awesome imaginary lego.

Now the question is, the game is still in alpha stages and costs 10 euro to buy, which is the cost of a months eve subscription. Is it worth it or will I get bored after a few hours? Its a lot of cash for a game which isnt complete.

Also, does your resources limit what you can build? Do I need stone to build big structures or can I just build a giant dirt castle.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Tell me about: Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2010, 04:22 »

Seriphyn*

Yes it's worth 10 euros, it's also getting constantly updated, for free, like the next update on the 31st.

The solitude of the game is very enjoyable, and it's one of those "story" games in the sense you can tell your friends "Well first I was a, then I was b, after that I did c, but I fell into a pit and was at d, traced all the way back to e" and so on and so forth.

The world is MASSIVE and goes on and on, but unfortunately you spawn at your original spot, so you'd want to build your shelter near there. If you do go on expeditions, only take limited stuff and all that. The cave system is particularly intricate as well, some of them just seem to go on and on, downwards. You'll want to place torches to light up the area as you go, to prevent monsters spawning there in darkness. Sorta represents "charting" it.

There's a lot to say, really, but definitely worth the 10 euros.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2010, 04:48 »

Get Dwarf Fortress.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2010, 05:19 »

Don't get Minecraft. It'll eat all of your time. And then, the next thing you know is that your connection to EVE is that you're building an in-scale model of your favourite ship of cobblestone. (Admitted, that'd solve the "Walking in Ships" question.)

In other words, $10 is peanuts. It's relatively simple to just play some Minecraft for a change, and then the next morning you notice that you've dug something that puts Moria into shame. Plus it has a huge castle on top of the mountain peaks and lava lamps (as in, actual lava as a source of light).

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2010, 06:16 »

(from what I have read the multiplayer lacks features)

Multiplayer currrently lacks several features, but has more game modes planned for it eventually. Regardless, it's awesome building things to show some friends and go visit their constructions, not to mention joint projects.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2010, 09:07 »

Definitely worth the 10 Euros/15 Dollars. Yes, it's "incomplete", but it's pretty damn awesome for an "incomplete" game; Notch could fix the multiplayer issues and call it "complete" and not many people would say it wasn't (fortunately, he's still pumping out updates; next one hits tomorrow).

Better yet, it can be run at the same time as the EVE client without causing issues. Perfect for wasti- er, passing those slow times in EVE.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2010, 12:53 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANgI2o_Jinc&feature=channel

A really good video if you dont know what Minecraft is.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2010, 16:53 »

I resisted it for a long time.

Then I gave in.

It's probably the best game I have played in years. And it's nowhere near finished.

In context, it gave me the same sorts of feelings as when I first logged into Eve: everything was strange and new and puzzling. I thought that the deliberately retro graphics would make my eyes bleed, but in practice, the procedurally-generated worlds have a kind of unexpected beauty to them. I have cowered in fear through the dark hours, praying for the sunrise. My heart has filled with joy and hope at the sight of a square sun inching it's way over the horizon. Inexplicably, this game has made me feel.

It's definitely worth a try, imo.

Oh, and:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/14/minecraft-mine-the-gap-day-1/
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2010, 23:16 »

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2010, 00:03 »

I bought the game, tried it, and it's actually boring. I know it's still an unfinished piece of work but the tutorial is nonexistent, and the youtube videos don't help. Also, I'm not exactly sure what to do.

Vikarion

« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2010, 03:39 »

I stayed up til 2 playing this.

I hate you so much right now, Seriphyn.  :P

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2010, 13:07 »

Walk away, quickly.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2010, 19:05 »

How do I get a damn shovel? Nothing in my inventory.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2010, 20:26 »

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2010, 20:57 »

Quote from: Seriphyn
lrn2read thread, Ben!

I bought the game, tried it, and it's actually boring. I know it's still an unfinished piece of work but the tutorial is nonexistent, and the youtube videos don't help. Also, I'm not exactly sure what to do.

lrn2read post, Seri!
Pages: [1] 2