EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE OOC Summit

Egomaniacs, A-holes and Mary Sues

(1/6) > >>

Seriphyn:
Derp

1) Seriphyn is an asshole, and he's also an egomaniac. Of course, he can be nice if he wants to, and he can also replace his egoism with humility if he wants to get laid. Or focus it into confident charm.

2) We all don't like to RP Mary Sues, so we custom-tailor our characters to avoid this from happening. Apply negative traits and positive traits, or RP them in different situations to see how they would respond etc.

Therefore,

3) People seem to get offended at the prospect of Seriphyn being an egomaniacal asshole. I mean, I can guess the first people's respond at that thread from an OOC perspective is "omg what an egomaniac!" in a less exclamative way, but more of a derogotary way? I don't know. The other response would be just to laugh, because that's what it's for. Another response is to facepalm because it's fail...but why is it fail? It serves its purposes perfectly. It promotes Seriphyn as an egomaniac, and shows how propaganda can be executed in the Federation.

The question is, is that we all don't like to RP Mary Sues, but people seem to take offence at aggressive characters. Even I've been on the other end of that, but also the executing end, of RPing Seriphyn as abrasive and aggressive, but I also get OOC criticisms or at the very least IC butthurtness at the nature of the character. But why should we? I RP'd Seriphyn going into the Last Gate once and acting very aggressive towards two pirates, which was met with IC hostilities (obviously) but I also wondered "Wait, you should be a sociopathic murderer that kills innocents daily...why are you getting so offended by Seripyn's abrasive attitude?"

Point is, do we all have to roleplay polite, nice guys that should try and get along with everyone? Do people find RPing people who are NOT agreeable get them in all sorts of IC/OOC trouble? I don't RP Seriphyn to be liked. I RP him to be Seriphyn. But I come across people who seem to RP for the former...maybe? I'd like to see what you think of this.

Silver Night:
It seems like you may have a number of assumptions about how other people react there. I'm also afraid that your point or question isn't very clear, for me. Could you please clarify?

Seriphyn:
Okay, tl;dr

Do you think you can notice a separation of people who RP to be liked, whether IC or OOC, and people who RP just for it's own sake?

Silver Night:

--- Quote from: Seriphyn on 20 Apr 2010, 16:29 ---Okay, tl;dr

Do you think you can notice a separation of people who RP to be liked, whether IC or OOC, and people who RP just for it's own sake?

--- End quote ---

I think people RP for a range of reasons. Do you see such a separation?

Casiella:
First, I'd say that I perceive a lot of characters as abrasive and over-the-top. In some cases, that may actually have more to do with the player's personality coming thru, but in many (most?) the player is a fine, friendly person who plays a jerk. That topic alone could occupy endless threads.

But you seem to think that many people RP for validation in some way. Is that a fair re-statement of your working hypothesis?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version