EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE OOC Summit

Risk friendly / suicidal capsuleers

(1/7) > >>

Laerise [PIE]:
Okay, here's one thing that confuses the hell out of me.

If I were to totally disregard my ingame experience and go by the stuff I read on public forums...

Why the heck is more than 50% of the whole capsuleer community either ex-spec-ops, run-away slaves, had their parents killed by amarr/minmatar/gallente/caldari/orcs ?

Is it just a personal misconception because these examples burn themselves into my mind like a red hot iron poker, I'm confused  :cry:

Ulphus:
Well, I ended up in Spec-Ops because that was the button I clicked during char-gen.

My mother is still alive, (though dad died in the wars) if that helps, and I visit the clan lands fairly frequently, including occasionally taking people I've met in space to visit.

And apparently someone made an offer to the aunties to marry me off...

Havohej:
Ever played Dungeons and Dragons?  Well, I'd say about 80% of new DnD players wanna be an elven ranger who's uber with a bow.  This is mainly because so many heroic characters in novels from the fantasy genre are elves.  Who use bows.  And can clip your sister's tampon strings at 200 yards while she's wearing pants.  :legolas:

I think the EVE version of that is players who are new to EVE and/or new to RP in general go for commonly romanticized sci-fi character archetypes based on the tiny bit of backstory presented to them during the initial chargen process.

That's not to say that NO experienced RPer makes a 'run-away slave' character, mind, just that it seems to be a more common choice among newcomers for the reasons mentioned.

Casiella:
I wonder whether any group of RPers doesn't have that sort of isssue. That includes the whole spectrum, such as those who don't consider themselves "lolrpers" but have something resembling an IC background for their characters.

For the record, Casi is the daughter of a Sebiestor bureaucrat and more-or-less stay-at-home mom, but that may not be entirely relevant. ;)

Silver Night:
I don't have parents because I was grown in a tube.  :cry:

+2 for Spec-ops via character creation for me and another of my characters, though. Silver used to fly for spec ops teams, getting them on the ground and whatnot, though. He runs like a sissy from actual in-person fighting. The other character doesn't much fly, and is terrible at it, and her job entails having those spec-op skills to draw on, so I think that works out?

I would agree that a lot of people go with the archetypes they know. Plus, everyone wants to be the hero of the story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version