Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DioCore is a Gallentean research firm that survived a hostile takeover by its own start-up investors, MindChill, in the early days of the company.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: A Future Vision and implications.  (Read 11333 times)

Crucifire

Re: A Future Vision and implications.
« Reply #60 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:45 »

If in station combat does happen I'll be happy I put the muscularity slider near max for Cruci  :yar: Agreed though, as totally badass as it was, it's quite a sensationalized trailer.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #61 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:46 »

Things will be nothing like that trailer.

CCP have a history of doing flashy trailers and demonstrations at FanFest that bear no resemblance to the end product
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2011, 04:16 by Rodj Blake »

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #62 on: 28 Mar 2011, 03:46 »

TL;DR - you're acting like typical roleplayers and inventing significance where there is none. Stop it.

TL;DR - we're acting like typical roleplayers and inventing significance where there was none. It's what we do.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #63 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:34 »

Wouldn't station side combat invalidate the existence of CONCORD as a security providing entity to the capsuleers completely?

Tagging other pilots for assassination, would do the same thing?

Not invalidating it if you also have high secured areas and low sec areas in station themselves.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #64 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:41 »

Things will be nothing like that trailer.

CCP have a history of doing flashy trailers and demonstrations at FanFest that bear no resemblance to the end product

To sound like the most bitter vet in the universe, yes. Space combat in EVE is never like that...it's mostly zoomed out so you're looking at spreadsheets and square brackets. Meanwhile, PvE is 500 ships shooting 1 to absolutely no avail.

Meanwhile, combat in X3TC as demonstrated by this video does actually look like that in-game. I don't really consider EVE to be a "space simulator" in that regard (though I don't think CCP is intending that)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #65 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:52 »

Agreed: whatever else EVE may or may not be, "space simulator" it is not.

Amann Karris

« Reply #66 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:59 »

Agreed: whatever else EVE may or may not be, "space simulator" it is not.
They have, however, thrown around the words "Sci-Fi Simulator".

I don't think those words mean what they think those words means, but I salute them for trying!  :D

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #67 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:38 »

I believe they do have a vision of a complete sci-fi simulator, "from a certain point of view". That is, they want to encompass all areas of their universe rather than just, you know, spaceships.

To your point, different players may have slightly different visions of what that should include. Hence folks still asking for twitch mechanics in space, not to mention the obvious connections to DUST 514 and whatnot.

Now if we'd just get some decent minigames for hacking and mining, beyond "activate and wait"...

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #68 on: 28 Mar 2011, 13:46 »

"Bob, get out of there!"

Yeah, Bob. You dumbass.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Bureeiku

• Blake Rathen
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #69 on: 28 Mar 2011, 15:47 »

First of all, beautiful video.  I am not an FPS guy, but that rocked.

Secondly,
The way I read the "station combat" here is as in-corp treachery., etc.

I really like that line of reasoning and the way you rationalized it.  The end product may not end up too close to the video's 'vision', but you showed that it could actually make sense as shown. 

A couple things bothered me:

1. that pad thing he had - if we are to retain the ability to mediclone when killed in a station (Wi-Fi anyone?), then should we not also retain mindlink access to the neocom?  I realize it was probably just a pretty thing to have in that scene, but it just didn't fit for me.

2. clones ftw! The next scene could easily be the killed dude's mediclone waking up in the room down the hall and coming back to knock off the cute redhead.  Round and round we go!

There would of course need to be balancing consequences to whatever mechanics they end up with.  For example, cool video material to have your dread blow up a terrestrial mining colony, but what would that accomplish?  Oh no, you just wiped out a whole 5 mil PI infrastructure! Luckily for us you just got aggro and we can enjoy popping your 2 bil ship?  Not factoring in the strategic value DUST may add to the game, buddy in our video just did something pretty dumb.

... oh, and where do I sign up for a cute Gallente stalker?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #70 on: 28 Mar 2011, 16:02 »

... oh, and where do I sign up for a cute Gallente stalker?

This, tbh.

No, really.

DrizzCat

• Amarrian Loyalist
  • Wetgraver
    • Bastet's Organization of Mining
« Reply #71 on: 28 Mar 2011, 16:05 »

1. that pad thing he had - if we are to retain the ability to mediclone when killed in a station (Wi-Fi anyone?), then should we not also retain mindlink access to the neocom?  I realize it was probably just a pretty thing to have in that scene, but it just didn't fit for me.

I would like to point out that I am under the impression that all Pod Pilots have jacks In the back of their Skull as well as Running down their Spine.   That dude is pretty hairless - so We would see the jack if he had one.  I suspect that he is Not a Capsuleer - Dunno about the Hot Chick however - Due to the hair on her head and No good View of the back of her head. 

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #72 on: 28 Mar 2011, 16:06 »

I once had a Khanid stalker. It was good. And appropriately creepy, of course.

Crucifire

« Reply #73 on: 28 Mar 2011, 16:16 »

I would like to point out that I am under the impression that all Pod Pilots have jacks In the back of their Skull as well as Running down their Spine.   That dude is pretty hairless - so We would see the jack if he had one.  I suspect that he is Not a Capsuleer - Dunno about the Hot Chick however - Due to the hair on her head and No good View of the back of her head. 
I don't know - none of the bald capsuleers I've created in the character creator have ever had a jack on the back of their head. They've all had six big sockets running down their spine, though, which would be a more reliable indication.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #74 on: 28 Mar 2011, 16:17 »

Drizz, do you have a source for that impression?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7