Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sleepers are an ancient culture that disappeared?

Author Topic: The Royal Wedding  (Read 930 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
The Royal Wedding
« on: 01 May 2011, 07:50 »

Anyone watch it? I did, thoroughly enjoyable display in British culture/tradition/history, less so the individuals getting married (though the Duchess of Cambridge is astoundingly good-looking, if a bit slim).

Oh, and for the anti-monarchists :yar:

Boma Airaken

• Egger
Re: The Royal Wedding
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2011, 09:22 »

Watched it, loved it, want my Title and Manor in Yorkshire back ASAP.

ETA: I am the rightful Earl of Richmond. Unfortunately, it is now extinct.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2011, 09:25 by Boma Airaken »

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2011, 10:28 »

Watched it, loved it, want my Title and Manor in Yorkshire back ASAP.

ETA: I am the rightful Earl of Richmond. Unfortunately, it is now extinct.

Who wouldn't but my country abolished monarczy and noble titles in 1918 year.  :bash:

Vieve

« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2011, 11:19 »

I watched and Twitchatted through it with a few folks from one of my other lives (not with my EvE twitter account, 'cause I know better than to subject #tweetfleet to such things :P).   

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2011, 03:51 »

Hehehe monarchies. :p

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2011, 06:06 »

I don't laugh at monarchies - I honestly think they have their place, and with Britain they may need to go back to prioritising the monarchy in years to come to give them something to focus on again.

I also wish the couple many years of blessed happiness and joy, its rare enough nowdays.

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2011, 06:12 »

I also wish the couple many years of blessed happiness and joy, its rare enough nowdays.

This is pretty much the extent of my thoughts on the matter.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2011, 13:26 »

I don't personally know anyone that could muster up more than a vague indifference beyond the obvious pleasure of having an extra day off and making it a long weekend.

Except for me. I was quite animated about it all.

I found the whole thing excruciatingly embarrassing and nauseating. Nothing personal. I'm sure William Gotha-Saxe-Coburg and his missus are perfectly decent people, but I really don't see why whether they get married or not has anything to do with the rest of us. I'd like nothing more than for them both to be private citizens. I'm sure they could live quite nicely on an officer's pay. We could find better uses for all their amassed wealth and property than they could I'm sure.

I popped out for lunch (I was at work: no grace and favour largesse for me from Her Britannic Majesty's Government) and listened to the normally serious and sober World at One to catch up on the news while eating my sandwiches. To my horror, I was treated to a parade of snivelling sycophants gushing about how marvellous the monarchy is. Sickening.

No. The monarchy is not marvellous at all. What would be marvellous would be a head of state that could legitimately hold a power of veto over legislation. What would be marvellous would be a head of state that could act as a further check and balance in our disgraceful political system. Maybe if our upper house wasn't stuffed with unelected cronies (and bishops, ffs, bishops! In the Twenty First Century!) and the old hag that blithely signs all those acts of parliament had some interest other than protecting her undeserved and privileged position in perpetuity, we wouldn't have had the terrible anti-freedom legislation that Blair and his unholy minions cooked up during their reign of terror.

Never forget. Never forgive.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2011, 13:40 »

I watched a good portion of it.  As an American, I am amused and interested in the pomp and ceremony and I find the couple to be both physically and socially attractive.  They genuinely seem to be honest and well-adjusted despite their wealth and prestige, qualities befitting the adjective "noble".  From the outside, I see the monarchy as a defining cultural feature of the UK and Commonwealth and perceive the fact that it has not been abolished in this post-Imperial and very modern age as demonstrating the endurance of most Briton's appreciation for their heritage and traditions.  This is a quality I find admirable, but not being a British subject nor having ever spent time in the UK myself, I admit my ideas may be entirely romanticized and divorced from reality.  In any case, I'll keep them.