Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a demonstration by the pro-cloning group Imperial Immortality Foundation was attacked by the Imperial Army using nanotoxin in YC106, resulting in numerous fatalities.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So my alt is rapidly becoming my fav toon.  (Read 2013 times)

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
So my alt is rapidly becoming my fav toon.
« on: 27 Apr 2013, 11:02 »

Hello folks.

Many people are aware of the existence of Kyllsa, my alt, who has existed in a few incarnations now over a period of a few years (she's a baseliner atm, so deleting her the few times for corp holders or one-use alts was no harm). Like I said, she's been around for a while, so this isnt a "Oh this is fun cause its shiny and new!" sort of thing. She's remained fun consistently for years, and I reeeeally hated the recent period of 2 or so months when she had poofed, for an alt for an RP project that never went anywhere.

Well... she's become my favorite of my characters.

Why? She's just fun to play. She's a very mellow sort, she's not as dim as Ava (lets face it, Ava isnt the sharpest knife in the drawer) she's older, which is a fun angle that many dont take advantage of, and she's just... I cant explain it. She's fun. I like her. Seems a lot of other peeps do also.

Issue is, she's a baseliner. What do I do? Any of you ever have an alt just kind of "take over" and become a favorite? And what do I do about the baseliner issue? Have her be compatible somehow? Just say the hell with it and play Ava? WHAT DO?

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
Re: So my alt is rapidly becoming my fav toon.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2013, 11:13 »

alts taking over... kind of. Synthia is the main for RP, despite having only 900k sp. My main character, I kind of ran out of things to think about RP wise, though I still play them from time to time.

Not sure about the baseliner thing. Depends what you want to do with Kyllsa, I guess. Exposure to inspace being shot at things is a bit of a problem in that respect. Tooling about in a Wreathe, being a space-truck driver/mobile shaman, is somewhat less of a problem.

whatever brings you the most enjoyment \o/
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2013, 11:15 »

Thats just it. If i am gonna play the toon, I may as well be able to PLAY the toon. I could mine and stuff on her I guess, Idk.

Idk?!

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2013, 11:20 »

I would just handwavium it and say she turned out to be compatible. Could be some fun RP in her realizing she was and then going through the training courses/certs whatever. And in the end why restrict yourself based on probabilities or whatever.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2013, 12:17 »

90%* of the characters in Eve represent the tiny fraction of the cluster's population genetically and psychologically compatible with the capsule. Is it highly improbable for Kyllsa to have this compatibility ? Of course. It was highly improbable for almost every other character too. Yet they are capsuleers. If you want Kyllsa to be compatible : she is. Or else, every other player rolls a d100 and biomass her/his toons if the result isn't 01.

Besides, the arc that would bring Kyllsa from shaman to capsuleer could be all sorts of fun :)

*milleage may vary, proportion used for the strict purpose of I'm-not-sure-what, etc.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2013, 14:56 »

One of my characters was found to be compatible, but refused to join the program. Later, a certain event caused her (or more like forced) to become a capsuleer (this has nothing to do with character's actual capsuleers story, but just to build scheme of character's behaviour and thinking).

You could use this story too for your character.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2013, 18:20 »

I would think that over the years, as capsuleer technology and training progresses, some compatibility issues are negated.
-OOChé

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2013, 18:31 »

New-Seph found out just a few months ago (when I resubbed) that he was compatible, and he's above thirty. It causes some problems, and is the origin of his disease, but he is a pod pilot. So that should not be a problem.

That said, you should carefully balance out the implications of starting a character almost from scratch: it'll change your chances/way to PVP, open new doors but close some old ones, etc. If you are sure you want to commit the time and ressources to turn her into the main char, then go for it! But if you aren't sure what to do, I'd let some time go by before deciding on such a major change to her RP. If you keep on wanting to log in with her instead of Ava, go for it, if it remains in the gray area test it some more, if Ava ends up claiming center stage again remain with her.

Just my 0,2 isk. :)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2013, 19:03 »

Seph has a point. I know becoming a capsuleer has not been good for Ché's sanity. Although in his case, it probably largely has to do with the fact that he comes into contact with other capsuleers on a regular basis, so if Kyllsa already does that...vOv
-OOChé

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2013, 05:06 »

Alts becoming favorite characters happen often.

I had an alt on SWG that became exactly that, because she was ten times more interesting than the first male main I had.

I have an alt on Eve but this one has never been extremely developed ICly, so he remains mostly in the shadows.

I had an alt on Swtor (lol, RPed 2+ years on that game and actually played it roughly 1 month), that became somehow my favorite. But considering that the main was probably my most successful char ever, I eventually got back to prefer to RP with him rather than my alt.

So yes, it can happen. I have no clear solution in the case of Eve. Eve being what it is skill wise, that's also probably why I never really created any serious alt, though the idea to do so often crossed my mind.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2013, 05:14 »

True story - Aelisha used to be a hauler alt, now I play her almost exclusively over Solarienne.  Now it seems Sol is the prize dueling pistol; a tool and little more, all the spark is in Ael (or Mendov if we're counting dust characters). 

As many have said before, this is a pretty common occurrence. 

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2013, 06:48 »

To expand, I should say Souchek Lehman was my mission/explo alt at first. Shinayin is really my "main". I have gone back and forth with them and several other more definite "alts". It is nice to have a variety of different characters one can jump to that have actual in-space skills.
And I think I have biomassed half the SP I have earned in this game by making alts and messing with them for 3-4 months before their inevitable deaths lol.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2013, 10:54 »

Any of you ever have an alt just kind of "take over" and become a favorite?

This is how I ended up playing Stecker. She was mostly meant to be a dicking-around, pvp-trollin' alt. She ended up being a much more interesting character and essentially became my main except for her near-inability to do PVE and earn iskies.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2013, 10:55 »

It's nice to give the main a break every so often. If you enjoy playing Kyllsa more at the moment, go full blast. Enjoy your game to the max. I have one other friend who's alt usurped the place for his main sort of gradually and he is much happier for it and enjoying EVE more as a result.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2013, 13:34 »

iirc, many of the compatibility problems with the capsule come down to genetic traits that do not work with the tech....

This being eve, it is possible to retrovirally re-write those parts of the genome to allow a person to 'become' capsule compatible.

my personal guess on how that would work in the easiest manner is that you'd simply have to clone once before the capsule was added to the equation. first into a new 'compatible clone' then, once a certain amount of time has passed, into the new capsuleer clone.

obviously any training required can be done prior to the second cloning.

The wealthy in the cluster (and anyone with a pilot's license is immediately one of these) can afford a lot of 'handwavium' ... though it's always been my personal preference to base such things in the Lore of the environment. :)

This would however mean you'd need to find a viable reason to have been fast-tracked through the training academy you end up in (ISK is a wonderful motivator for such things.)
Pages: [1] 2