Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Zegerth Kelja is the eccentric Sansha Underseer of True Slave Foundations?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Choosing a pirate faction  (Read 2601 times)

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
Choosing a pirate faction
« on: 26 Aug 2012, 05:53 »

I'm thinking of using up an alt slot for a character who will, as early as possible, run off to join one of the big pirate groups. That is to say living in their stations & working for them. Which one would involved the least dodging of crazy non-aligned and null-sec pilots and what sort of minimum skillbase should I be looking at before going outlaw?
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Choosing a pirate faction
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2012, 09:55 »

In terms of dodging nullsec pilots:

Cartel is probably the easiest to slip in to initially for the simple fact that their null is the only pirate null to have a direct jump to empire space. It's often camped, of course, but you can still slip in to it at odd hours.

Blooders are probably a bad choice right now, due to the whole Delve campaign.

Guristas I'm unsure of, though I've heard Venal is currently full of roaming gangs right now as well.

Serps I think are safe-ish - you need to travel through a bit of player null to get there, but neither player or NPC null are playing host to a huge fight at the moment.

Nation has a bit of a boon by merit of having a whole region to choose from, hugely widening your options if someone else moves into your first system of pick. Of course, you still have to fly through player null to get there...

In terms of RP considerations, my only thought is that you need to be careful when toying with Blooder or Nation characters, as those tend to ellicit the strongest responses from people right off the bat.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2012, 11:00 »

Most of them are "bad" options right now, but the Cartel and Nation are probably your safest bets for being able to have access to things and move around, in addition to the quietest regions. That said, they all have some nasty downsides:

Angels: Russians.
Blooders: It's Delve. Test/Goons/CFC.
Guristas: Current CFC campaign is up that way.
Sansha: Stain is a pain to get to through player-sov null, and is still home to a bunch of people.
Serpentis: TEST kinda lives down where most of the stations are.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2012, 13:39 »

Unless something has changed recently (recent being the last year or more) Stain is likely your best option. Since the dissolution of the first STAIN Alliance, the Stain civil war, and the eventual disbandment of Stain- Alliance, the region has never been host to a full-control like alliance or entity, meaning the region is full of randoms and smaller entities living in various small pockets of the region, doing their things and occasionally roaming.

Finding some small, quiet corner to base out of and run missions from or whatever should be possible. Last I looked, Curse was effectively owned by a large pack of angry Russians, as stated, and the rest are war-zones or staging grounds for the largest null-powers.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2012, 14:17 »

Confirming Curse is now full of Angry Russians.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2012, 14:28 »

Confirming Curse is now full of Angry Russians.

They have AK's and RPG's yo, no messin' with them!

Ofc, as stated 'last I looked' was a year or more ago. Goes with salt and all that.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2012, 20:52 »

All of NPC pirate nullsec at the moment is fairly inhospitable to serious (level 3 - 4) mission running. It can be done, it just requires very active attention and specific fits - if you want to do the work regularly with minimal interruptions. The Tengu is the safest choice here, and the Machariel is supposedly quite good at nano blitzing missions.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2012, 02:52 »

All of NPC pirate nullsec at the moment is fairly inhospitable to serious (level 3 - 4) mission running. It can be done, it just requires very active attention and specific fits - if you want to do the work regularly with minimal interruptions. The Tengu is the safest choice here, and the Machariel is supposedly quite good at nano blitzing missions.

Fountain is pretty quiet at the moment (Only recently went back down, could not get through YZ-LQL with any ease last year) Like most of the 'famous' locations in nullsec, the NPC bits have their fair share of idiots, but they're idiots in every sense, and you really shouldn't have to worry about any kind of in-space threat from them due to a severe deficiency in competence.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2012, 03:41 »

Thanks for the intel.

I'm kinda biased towards the Angels or the Guristas, possibly the Serpentis. This is mainly because of the sort of character I had in mind. Too individualist for nation, and the philosophies of the Covenant & EoM tend to make me giggle. I'd have too much trouble playing them with a straight face.

What about skills? Can I go once I can fly a frigate reasonably well & have the basic fitting skills nailed, or would I be advised to wait a bit longer?
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2012, 03:44 by Arnulf Ogunkoya »
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2012, 05:19 »

What about skills? Can I go once I can fly a frigate reasonably well & have the basic fitting skills nailed, or would I be advised to wait a bit longer?

I was running L1 and 2 missions around Serpentis Prime in a T1 fir Railcursus pre-buff. I don't think skills are any more of a barrier compared to regular missions. Your main problem is going to be getting replacement ships and gear down into the area in bulk for a reasonable price.

Jev North

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2012, 05:49 »

It kind of depends on what you want to do. For mission running, I ghetto'd it up in Curse with a few AFs for L1s and L2s, and a Drake for L3s. Corporation members used fancy T3s or run-of-the-mill battleships for the better L4 grinding. Many things can be made to work, given enough paranoia, scouting, or Black Frog Freight jumps.

What got me in the end was not just the lolrussians, but ennui; nullsec mission running is still mission running, just with more paranoid D-scan whacking.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2012, 07:51 »

I've been having quite good luck with an MWD Hawk, its fast and kitey enough to survive, with enough dps to actually run the mission.

Hamilcar

• Clonejack
« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2012, 09:39 »

I would just join one of the pirate loyalist corps, otherwise everyone is going to be red or neut to you and it will be a nightmare to get close any mission + very lonely.
Another option is one like Mordus Angels, a Mordus Legion loyal alliance but with the advantage it is blue to the CFC so you can join them in Pure Blind without problems.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2012, 12:01 »

I was also going to add to perhaps seek an aligned corporation to further the IC goals.

Running NPC pirate-missions doesn't give you any more real 'street cred' than joining a pirate-aligned corp. 

Faction mission standings are a joke and are not-responsive to IC politcal stances, so don't kill yourself trying to boost standings for one faction or the other.

Honestly it's really not worth your extreme time and effort to grind those kinds of missions.  At least know what you are getting into, essentially.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2012, 13:10 »

Honestly it's really not worth your extreme time and effort to grind those kinds of missions.  At least know what you are getting into, essentially.

I'm really not sure if this is true, I've been earning a decent living out here, easily enough to keep in the ships I want to pvp in, and I haven't even started running level 4s yet.
Pages: [1] 2