Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Slavers hunt by jumping high in the air and coming down on their prey from above?

Author Topic: Fanfest Speakers list  (Read 1003 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Fanfest Speakers list
« on: 10 Apr 2013, 12:46 »

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/article//

CCP ANNOUNCES SLATE OF “MAKE EVE REAL” SPEAKERS TO PRESENT AT SOLD OUT EVENT

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND—Apr 10, 2013—CCP Games, the world’s leading independent massively multiplayer game developer, today announced the full slate of speakers for the “Make EVE Real” track at its sold-out, annual fan celebration EVE Fanfest (April 25-27). Dr. Richard Obousy (President and Co-Founder of Icarus Interstellar) and Chris Lewicki (President of Planetary Resources) will join Michael Laine (President of LiftPort Group) in sharing their distinct visions for how current science fiction may soon become reality.
The new “Make EVE Real” speaker track is comprised of three luminary speakers and scientific pioneers who will share bold initiatives for humanity and its place among the stars, exploring areas where the tech and science behind EVE’s future universe could become a modern reality. The sessions taking place at this year’s Fanfest are:

Title: Space Elevators – Past, Present, and Future
Speaker: Michael Laine, President, LiftPort Group
Summary: Take a look at the early concepts behind the Space Elevator, its history and evolution, its current status and where humanity goes from here!  This multimedia conversation (it’s not a lecture!) will examine social, political, technological and military implications of building “the biggest thing, ever.”  Both Lunar (gravity-based) and Earth (spin-based) Space Elevators will be discussed.

Title: Bringing FTL to IRL – The Quest for Warp Speed
Speaker: Dr. Richard Obousy, President and Co-Founder, Icarus Interstellar
Summary: The thought of traveling to distant star systems has captured humankind’s imagination for a millennium… so what is being done to get us there? This lively discussion will delve into the challenges associated with FTL propulsion and tantalizing possibilities raised by the latest research in theoretical physics.

Title: Asteroid Mining: Our Search for Riches Enters the Final Frontier
Speaker: Chris Lewicki, President, Planetary Resources
Summary: First it was the gold rush, then we began hunting for oil and soon, we'll begin trekking across the solar system in search of new and rare resources. In this session, the Flight Director for NASA's Mars rovers “Spirit” and “Opportunity” will show us how plotting our resource expansion by rocketing across The Milky Way to mine asteroids is just around the corner. This engaging presentation will discuss the near-future of space exploration and asteroid prospecting.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Aelisha Montenagre

Re: Fanfest Speakers list
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2013, 02:45 »

I might have made more of an effort to go had this been communicated earlier.  It may just be jealousy speaking, but I think that these speakers are somewhat wasted on a computer game fanfest.  However, I have the HD stream so I will be paying attention - I am significantly more annoyed by the missed networking opportunities this would have represented.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2013, 04:19 »

Holy shiat.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2013, 15:08 »

As an engineer, this certainly made me perk up.

I look forward to the discussions.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2013, 03:19 »

Fellow engineer reporting in.  The initial jealousy has passed, so HD stream should do me fine.  Here's hoping for something beyond a marketing spiel. 

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2013, 08:08 »

Here's hoping for something beyond a marketing spiel.

I suspect that they will be for the most part informational about what they are trying to do and doing at the moment.

It mostly is about building public awareness and support.  There are some legal quandaries for at least two of the projects (space elevator and asteroid mining) that broad public support for their pursuit will help overcome.

I have gotten to hear Michael Laine's presentation and speak with him, but that was 8 years ago during the first iteration of Liftport.

I am on PI's newsletter and they are progressing steadily, so they may have some nice shots of their Arkdy-100s.   They may also talk up NASA's current plan to capture an asteroid and return it to near-Earth space for manned rendezvous and sampling.

I have heard of Icraus Interstellar, but that is about it.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2013, 08:12 »

Dammmnnnn.

Anyone willing to pack me in their suitcase?

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2013, 09:15 »

Here's hoping for something beyond a marketing spiel.

I suspect that they will be for the most part informational about what they are trying to do and doing at the moment.

It mostly is about building public awareness and support.  There are some legal quandaries for at least two of the projects (space elevator and asteroid mining) that broad public support for their pursuit will help overcome.

I have gotten to hear Michael Laine's presentation and speak with him, but that was 8 years ago during the first iteration of Liftport.

I am on PI's newsletter and they are progressing steadily, so they may have some nice shots of their Arkdy-100s.   They may also talk up NASA's current plan to capture an asteroid and return it to near-Earth space for manned rendezvous and sampling.

I have heard of Icraus Interstellar, but that is about it.

Yeah, pretty understandable but from a professional stand point I am looking for meat on the bones for potential future directions for employment/research/whatever keeps me fed and doing something I love mostly.  I guess I should look into future presentations and opportunities more industry aligned, but this would have been a golden chance to get a potential word in with one or more of them without the usual concentration of competitors making a beeline :(.  (I'm sure there's a lot of competition in this field among eve players in general - but you have to agree that a games-fest is going to have less concentration than an industry focused presentation)

Then again even marketing, when done right and with an emphasis on professional value and technological credentials, can be quite full of content itself.  Here's hoping for more moves towards autonomous construction platforms and exploration drones - Because micro-gravity osteoporosis isn't fun. 
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2013, 09:17 by Aelisha Montenagre »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2013, 19:36 »

Yeah, pretty understandable but from a professional stand point I am looking for meat on the bones for potential future directions for employment/research/whatever keeps me fed and doing something I love mostly.  I guess I should look into future presentations and opportunities more industry aligned, but this would have been a golden chance to get a potential word in with one or more of them without the usual concentration of competitors making a beeline :(.  (I'm sure there's a lot of competition in this field among eve players in general - but you have to agree that a games-fest is going to have less concentration than an industry focused presentation)

One, I agree.  Engaging this folks in non-traditional settings is a great opportunity.

Second, given the above (and interest/willingness to move to Seattle,) I recommend trying to chat up Chris Lewicki, Planetary Resources.  They are building flight hardware, have existing profitable contracts, and are doing things that are more near-term.

(Unless of course you are into more theoretical research)