Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Battle of Tears, between Minmatar and Ammatar forces in YC102, was one of the highest casualty battles ever fought in New Eden.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Memory leaks; the hopeless war  (Read 3648 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Memory leaks; the hopeless war
« Reply #15 on: 26 Sep 2011, 19:07 »

if you have a floppy drive, the simplest thing would be to download memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org/

The thing you'd want for using a floppy would be:
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.floppy.zip

unzip that into a suitable directory, there's a readme that explains what you have to do.

there's other versions of memtest86+ that use bootable CDs or memory sticks, but I don't know much about those.

Your friend might be able to help with those, if necessary

Perhaps due incompetence or oversight on my part, but I can't seem to find a version of this that can run from windows - I have no blank floppy's - or any other floppy disk at all, for that matter - as they are obsolete. Neither does my PC have a floppy drive, thus I'm screwed either way. I had hoped this software had a windows-viable version.

Wanoah, dust might well be the sinner here - as stated the PC is roughtly 3 years and have not ben opened for that entire duration. Translation; it has never been cleaned or de-dusted. I've known for quite some time that this needs doing but ya know, varranty etc. Also, while I did rule out overheating earlier - PC's heat-indicators never claim anything get's to hot, when I check - this might still be the case. Despite the dust caking up some palces all fans seem to run fine at least - and at maximum speed, from now on. (Up from medium.)

I'm considering if I should sent it in for service and just bite the proverbial sour apple - the bill, in this case - or say fuck it, open the cover, void the varranty and then just clean it out. The latter option might be the most reliable one at this point and this also allows me to remove and replace faulty hardware as well, IF that turns out to be needed. I'd like to know if any of my hardware is in need of replacement first though, no point replacing RAM or whatnot that's fully functional.

I've also considered for a while not upgrading to Windows 7 anyhow - and if it turns out parts need replacement I should order that along with a new windows OS DVD - after all I order my stuff from komplett.no, one of the msot reliable PC hardware retailers in the kingdom. Happen to be the one's I got this PC from too, and I'm told their rates for service is... steep.

Unless anyone else has any new advice or help to offer I'm going to fiddle my tumbs for a bit and consider my next move. I've a few options still and I don't really like any of them, fas as possible cost or predictable effect goes. Still, thanks all for the advice so far, it's been very helpful.

Crucifire

« Reply #16 on: 26 Sep 2011, 22:11 »

Perhaps due incompetence or oversight on my part, but I can't seem to find a version of this that can run from windows - I have no blank floppy's - or any other floppy disk at all, for that matter - as they are obsolete. Neither does my PC have a floppy drive, thus I'm screwed either way. I had hoped this software had a windows-viable version.

AFAIK It's gotta be run from the boot menu, it's not designed to work within Windows. I believe the bootable binary is the memory stick version but I've never used it. There's a compiled ISO version of Memtest that can be burned to CD though, of which I have several copies around my room....

Memtest is badass.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2011, 22:12 by Crucifire »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #17 on: 03 Oct 2011, 01:27 »

The problem has been solved.

I contacted the company that delivered my PC and they told me that the 'don't open and you won't void warranty' isn't in place for my PC - the stamp is to let ME know that the PC was not opened after departure and that everything is in it. Further, the warranty is only voided for specific pieces of hardware if I remove them and install new ones that I had not purchased from them - ergo, I could open it up and clen it up as much as I wanted. Ofc I did.

Friend of mine came by and helped run a few memory leak tests as well and it would seem my memory is completely fine - all games that I had issues with has been extensively tested by now and not one of them forcd a reboot, not once. Deus Ex ran for 4 hours (very enjoyable time spent, btw.) as opposed to rebooting after 5 minutes, Shogun 2 ran for 5 the day before with no crashes either and all the others worked a charm.

Lessons learned; ensure that you know fully well what will and what won't void your hardware's warranty, if anything, so that you won't find yourself in a situation where you don't clean you PC for years at a time... it can tend to fuck things up and this is another reminder why I cleanred my previous PC relatively ofthen.

Thanks for all the advice and help, everyone. o7

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #18 on: 03 Oct 2011, 11:40 »

\o/
\o/
Pages: 1 [2]