Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front's "rampant griffin" corp logo was adopted after the pro-Federation corp The Durandal Organization created a logo using motifs similar to the ILF's original logo?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Your 'flagship'.  (Read 9311 times)

Isis Dea

• Radical Sebiestor Rebel
  • Clonejack
  • 327th Wing [Jaijii-Hnolku] - STPRO, Caldari State
    • Isis Dea's Posts
Re: Your 'flagship'.
« Reply #45 on: 10 Nov 2013, 18:25 »

Vagabond. RIP speed bonus. Not too big, not too small, a tribute to the past from days prior to 100mn AB fits, battlecruisers, gang bonuses, and even snake implants. When solo-PvP was in and it was an easy feat to land at 20km, point, orbit/kite, and rip.

Five light drones, five fingers, like an extension of her hand. A ship without drones feels like a someone's bound her hand behind her.

Speed. She's a pirate. She swoops in, had to be able to kite/tackle/rip and run.

On parade, she still totes this, as if to function as a reminder that she's still predatory.

Internals-wise, it's home. Somewhere inside, lights still flicker, or fail to function entirely (low priority). Artificial gravity still doesn't work or is constantly failing in a number of places (another low priority). Nanites are always fixing circuits and crew headhunt spliced wirings. The smell of copper, gunpowder, coolant after firing iteration, the purr of engines, the gentle vibrations of gun belts cycling, even the banter/hassles of Minmatar crew… it's all home.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2013, 18:27 by Isis Dea »

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 11 Nov 2013, 10:35 »

Victoria's home away from home was a Hurricane named The Woman Scorned. Opulent captain and guest quarters, utilitarian crew quarters, and a massive kitchen. Entertained lots of guests there. Also had to replace the ship a few times.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #47 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:28 »

Okay so, shit... Kat has a number of ships that could be considered flagships. The thing is, she chooses ships based on where they will be operating and what she will be doing. Furthermore, whatever ship she is on at the time is considered a 'flagship' by very definition. As a Vice-Admiral of I-RED, whatever ship she's on is the one carrying the VADM's flag... thus, it is a flagship.

So now we're left with the question of... since any ship she's on is technically a flagship... which one does she prefer to use? Well that's a complicated question, one that occupies far too much of my time when preparing for any IC RP situation. (OOC PvP ship selection is very straightforward)

There are multiple criteria that are weighed for a given situation. The first is deployment time. How long will Katrina be deployed in this vessel? This is important, as ship hulls do not have indefinite supplies for the crew, and many ships are designed without crew comforts in mind. While OOCly, ships have no operational limits, IC I tend to follow lore.

Frigate - For solo deployments with minimal or no crew. Often lasting an hour or so, but with the capability to stay longer due to the minimal crew supply requirements. Often used for situations where there is little prep-time and the ship must be launched and on site as soon as possible, without knowing how long the deployment will last.

Destroyer - For patrols lasting longer than one day but no more than a week. Since the ship is cramped on the inside and supplies are strictly rationed for the crew, destroyers cannot tolerate long term deployments without resupply. Used on occasions where arriving on site is needed quickly, but engagements with other capsuleers is not expected.

Cruiser - For deployments of varying types lasting longer than one week. Since cruisers are relatively comfortable and designed for long term deployments without resupply, these ships are the baseline for most deployments. Capable of keeping a crew comfortable well past Katrina's own time limits for being cooped up in the capsule. This is the level at which crew endurance surpasses her own.

Battlecruiser - For longer term mobile deployments where firepower and combat endurance is more important and a show of force is necessary. Battlecruisers are even more spacious than cruisers by their nature. Similar to destroyers in that their focus is on combat more than comfort, they happen to be far more capable of keeping the crew happy with multiple shift rotations. Since battlecruisers can spend years out in space without docking, there is no real need to resupply at all.

Battleship - For immobile deployments where Katrina's presence in one specific area is required with the ability to land troops or equipment to planets on a large scale. They are not used in situations where she will be expected to pack up and move quickly. Battleships are used as a small mobile base of operations, and come equipped with the crew endurance and extra personnel to fill that role nicely. While unable to supply other ships, it is almost completely self sufficient and provides a method for Katrina's operations to continue with minimal reliance on stationary structures.

Capitals - As expected, capitals are literally a base of operations. This includes the flexible nature of an Orca, the transport capacity of a freighter, or the pure combat reliability of a carrier. Rarely deployed, very expensive, but with phenomenal operational usefulness.

Now it's worth noting that where she will be deployed often influences what racial variant she'll be using. This is due to logistical reasons as well as 'blending in'. It's easier to find cheaper and higher quality supplies or spare parts for a Tempest in Metropolis than it would be to find the same for a Raven.

Every ship has a use, and it really depends on what the situation is to determine which ship gets used. This is all roleplay though, and if I need something for OOC reasons, I'll pull it out of the bag and simply use it regardless of what IC restrictions it ought to have.

[spoiler=Adorable Typing Cat .gif][/spoiler]

Since I'm lazy and uncreative, I am pretty much going to borrow what Kat said here about flagships. If Kor is the highest ranking officer in a particular fleet, his ship will technically be the flagship. If there is a higher ranking officer, then that title will shift over to their vessel.

I will also note that although Kor has no real "flagship" per se, he does have an overwhelming affection towards his Stratios. For the particular shenanigans he finds himself often participating in, the ship excels wonderfully. He made a few interior alterations with his Stratios, however. Like, for example, having an interrogation room that was converted from one of the "jettisonable openings" mentioned in the ship's lore. :)
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #48 on: 29 Jan 2014, 12:48 »

I did jinx my flagship by writing about it..

Abyssinia was destroyed last month, jumping in first and triaging to try and save ships on grid, succumbing to broadside fire from a pair of Moros Dreadnaughts before we could secure the field and destroy them.

It was sort of an emergency jump I didn't have the thing fit properly, if i had time to stack the resists (and fit proper mods) for what was there I would have been able to tank it. 

Alas! Wonderful ship, we knew her well.

She's been replaced but I think the flagship will probably move to the Bhaal or the Revelation.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #49 on: 29 Jan 2014, 14:36 »

I will probably jinx it by writing this but whatever. John's flagship is a Phoenix Class Dreadnaught named the IRV Urlkohdash, I-RED's first capital production built some 5+ months prior to Dominion expansion. I use it often (I don't hear the end of it either "hahaha what is that." while I sit next to a fleet of Moros) it has seen to the destruction of structures and hostile capitals, though I can feel its service coming to a end in the near future.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #50 on: 03 Jun 2014, 17:15 »

Most of you who hang out in The Summit on a regular basis will know this one.

Andreus' flagship is the Black Sun, a Nidhoggur-class carrier and it's a deathtrap that flies.

He bought it off a capsuleer dealer back in YC 110 in a system called Aeschee. It's never been the most effective ship (and he's only deployed it in anything approaching a combat situation a few times), and he essentially uses it like a glorified industrial ship. The fighters haven't been launched in years, and its defensive systems are spun up for only a few seconds every month at best. None of the Black Sun's nonessential systems work the way they're supposed to - plumbing, air conditioning, lighting, wiring, crew appliances, internal data networks and a host of other systems are plagued by constant glitches and issues. Moreover, the ship's slowly falling to pieces - every time it engages its jumpdrive it leaves bits of itself behind, and the one time in the past year that Andreus used its warp drive, half of the ship's attitude control thrusters went offline.

The crew turnover rate is fairly high, and it never keeps a chief engineer for more than one use of its jumpdrive. Andreus has tried in vain several times to find out why the ship is in such a consistently poor shape, but he's never been able to get a conclusive answer. He keeps saying he'll replace it with a Thanatos, but never quite has the heart to go through with it.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #51 on: 05 Jun 2014, 00:21 »

Most of you who hang out in The Summit on a regular basis will know this one.

Andreus' flagship is the Black Sun, a Nidhoggur-class carrier and it's a deathtrap that flies.

He bought it off a capsuleer dealer back in YC 110 in a system called Aeschee. It's never been the most effective ship (and he's only deployed it in anything approaching a combat situation a few times), and he essentially uses it like a glorified industrial ship. The fighters haven't been launched in years, and its defensive systems are spun up for only a few seconds every month at best. None of the Black Sun's nonessential systems work the way they're supposed to - plumbing, air conditioning, lighting, wiring, crew appliances, internal data networks and a host of other systems are plagued by constant glitches and issues. Moreover, the ship's slowly falling to pieces - every time it engages its jumpdrive it leaves bits of itself behind, and the one time in the past year that Andreus used its warp drive, half of the ship's attitude control thrusters went offline.

The crew turnover rate is fairly high, and it never keeps a chief engineer for more than one use of its jumpdrive. Andreus has tried in vain several times to find out why the ship is in such a consistently poor shape, but he's never been able to get a conclusive answer. He keeps saying he'll replace it with a Thanatos, but never quite has the heart to go through with it.

Have you tried pleading to the Nidhoggur's spirit? If you haven't, contact your nearest Matari shaman today.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #52 on: 11 Jun 2014, 12:01 »

Did someone say Shaman?

Also, Ava's flagship is a very rarely used Tempest Fleet Issue named Frejya's Choice.

Bayushi Tamago

• Lady of Many Faces
  • Clonejack
    • Threaded Pixels
« Reply #53 on: 18 Jun 2014, 23:08 »

IC, Bay's flagship at this point is likely either a Buzzard, Manticore or Ishkur.
OOC, it used to be my drake that I've had for almost 4 years now. I'd say it's a nighthawk at this point though.

genofunk

« Reply #54 on: 23 Jun 2014, 03:29 »

Anya's flagship is a smartbombing Loki.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #55 on: 05 Aug 2014, 07:04 »

An update as to the status of 'flagship' for Steff.  Her flagship (and workhorse) is the Kronos-class marauder, the Knight's Watch
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Dessau

« Reply #56 on: 05 Aug 2014, 10:09 »

With Dess, there wouldn't be a parade or fleet review, as he simply doesn't command that measure of resources. The upward limit of what he'll fly is about 40M, so no bling here.

However, the Tristan is a hull that has always been 'in tune' with him as a pilot, in terms of form and function, as well as how he prefers to fly. Since they are lost often, he simply numbers them according to corp guidelines for hangar management.

Marcus Gord

• Mathfail Silverback
  • Egger
  • Soldier of Fortune
« Reply #57 on: 08 Aug 2014, 04:19 »

Because I love threads like this, it's either Wanderhome my Orca that was a gift many years ago (easily 4 years) from an old corp member who said I'd helped him more than I knew.

Or it's Daring my old Ferox, still fitted with 425mm ACs because it's a pre hybrid buff ship, it's that old. I took it solo through lowsec once and couldn't lose it.

More recently, my it might switch to Arrogant my Talos, that I love to fly.
Stormcrows.

Will pay for good sig. Enquire within.

You can't take the sky from me

Karynn

« Reply #58 on: 09 Aug 2014, 04:01 »

The Katanga Caravan exists in game as the flagship "Katanga", a Mastodon-class transport, and a handful of blockade runners. They scoot in and out of low sec, doing our thing with cytoserocin and giant chemistry sets.

Of course, this means that it's entirely possible for the caravan to be wiped out in game! Although it wouldn't be the end of the world for me as a player, it would be devastating to Karynn... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

Karynn's personal combat ship of choice is currently the Krusual Edition Rifter. I once told my corpmate that I wanted a Thukker Edition Rifter... he just pointed at my Jaguar  :oops:

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #59 on: 09 Aug 2014, 07:04 »

I once told my corpmate that I wanted a Thukker Edition Rifter... he just pointed at my Jaguar  :oops:

+10 Wiseass Points for that corpmate. :D

I apparently haven't posted here yet. :X

Morwen doesn't really have a flagship, per se, and more a set of ships that she uses as a 'home away from home' when she's not planetside. All of those ships have small apartments installed somewhere. Most are battleship-sized or larger (Chimera and a now-decommissioned Scorpion to name a few) but she's also got them on a couple smaller cruiser-sized ships that she occasionally goes wandering in.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5