Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Adventures of White Lightning" is a Gallentean soap opera.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Question about Napaani  (Read 6264 times)

Galm Fae

• Wulver / Fury / Pixy
  • Clonejack
  • Yo buddy, still alive?
Re: Question about Napaani
« Reply #45 on: 12 Aug 2013, 19:12 »

I'm sure this has probably been stated before in this thread, but in my mind Napanii has degraded to becoming more or less of a trade language between different Caldari secs, similar to Chinook. It would make sense that a "traditional" and "business" language would need to be developed in the megacorps. It isn't all that different from how businessmen in Japan these days communicate in English during business meetings, though Napanii has an extra layer of Caldari pride in a way that served a clever dual purpose of maintaining Caldari identity and making business and industry more efficient by uniting workers and executives.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #46 on: 13 Aug 2013, 00:05 »

Nope. Napaani is a very flexible language for expressing certain inflections. It does a wonderful job of describing the relationships between groups within a conversation - starting with the outermost of the outliers, those that do not speak it.

I mostly use Napaani for making kirjuuns and other Caldari feel all warm, cosy and included - but I've recently had it drawn to my attention that when my kirjuun and I jabber away in Napaani it makes us look terrible cliquey. This is wonderful, of course - the Caldari ARE cliquey.

Galm Fae

• Wulver / Fury / Pixy
  • Clonejack
  • Yo buddy, still alive?
« Reply #47 on: 15 Aug 2013, 00:11 »

Fair enough.

Also, point of technicality, when making up a Napanii word when you are ABSOLUTELY sure it hasn't been made yet, do you just combine Finnish and Japanese words, or is there a method to it?

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #48 on: 15 Aug 2013, 00:14 »

I try not to, to be honest. :)

But if I do, I find Finnish words tend to look the most 'Napaani' - if you steal the root word and then apply the proper Napaani suffix, according to the Primer, it usually doesn't get you tarred and feathered. ;)

Galm Fae

• Wulver / Fury / Pixy
  • Clonejack
  • Yo buddy, still alive?
« Reply #49 on: 15 Aug 2013, 00:16 »

Don't worry, I am not going to try and bastardize the language too bad. I am just going to try my hand at making a song for an IGS thread when I finally get some time. Thanks for all the help!

Galm Fae

• Wulver / Fury / Pixy
  • Clonejack
  • Yo buddy, still alive?
« Reply #50 on: 15 Aug 2013, 00:17 »

Side note, rhyming in this language is stupid easy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]