Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Faster than Light Communication is regulated by CONCORD? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Question about Napaani  (Read 6263 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Question about Napaani
« Reply #30 on: 15 Mar 2013, 14:47 »

If it's the language of the Caldarians then it would have to be Caldarianese.

.  .. .. ... \o\

So bummed someone said this before I could  :cry:
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #31 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:25 »

[ 2013.03.15 15:38:50 ] CCP Falcon > ugh "caldarians"
 [ 2013.03.15 15:39:06 ] CCP Falcon > i cringe every time that comes out, the editors never caught it in the books
[ 2013.03.15 15:40:08 ] CCP Falcon > the correct names for when referring to race are if you were to say "He/she is xxxx" it would be "Amarr" "Gallente" "Caldari" and "Matari"
[ 2013.03.15 15:40:29 ] CCP Falcon > So, "He is Caldari" "He is Amarr" "He is Gallente" "He is Matari"
 [ 2013.03.15 15:41:00 ] CCP Falcon > Amarrian refers to inanimate objects
 [ 2013.03.15 15:42:06 ] CCP Falcon > That's why the empire is called the "Amarr Empire"

relevant ?
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 16 Mar 2013, 04:39 »

It's true that most of these names are more elegant in their native, raw, simple form.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 16 Mar 2013, 13:15 »

CCP Falcon is tainted by his long time participation in the jaded RP community.  :yar:  ;)

Clearly the previous writers knew exactly what they were talking about.  :roll:

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #34 on: 09 Jun 2013, 06:32 »

I always thought Napanii was one of those ye olde dialects of modern Caldari that's seen a somewhat resurgence by modern romantics and those who want to show how much they value tradition or whatever.

Of course, for a modern Caldari, aside from a few key phrases Napanii might sound about the same as if someone tried conversing in English using the verse of Chaucer today - sounds familiar but not exactly clear.
The same.

However, several times Makkal, Kingdom born and raised, has interacted with Caldari characters who speak to her purely in Napanii and then seem surprised/irritated that she has no clue what they're saying.

IC Makkal assumes they're assholes who are reminding her she's just a jaijii but OOC I'm wonder if this is a shift in the player base to viewing Napanii as something every educated Caldari speaks fluently.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #35 on: 09 Jun 2013, 11:20 »

I have had a couple of Caldari characters for quite a while, and I have never used it. I think if other people do, that's fine, but I am probably not going to search for meanings if I don't know what they are saying. Though I might ask them.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 09 Jun 2013, 13:41 »

I have mixed feelings.

Napaani (or however the hell you spell it) is a nifty experiment that can add flavor or build a wall. For me, the line lies where you can reasonably expect an automatic translation system to flatly refuse to "leave it in for flavor."

The titles ("-haan," etc.) are great, as are "saisieni," (hello) "konbaensha," (good night) and "suuolo" (friend). That's flavorful, and I can see it staying in for the same reasons Google doesn't try to correct my spelling of "Mademoiselle" or "amigo" even if I'm writing in English.

Giving me something like a complete sentence is a bit beyond, though, even if it's meant to be a common greeting.

I'll sign on for a little cultural distinctiveness, but not to memorize the Klingon dictionary.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 11 Jun 2013, 21:35 »

Instead of thinking of it as ye olde Englys try thinking of it as Mandarin Chinese in the Cantonese area. It's the official language of government and corporate hierarchy.

The different Corps make differing amounts of use of it, from what I've read, with the younger Corps barely using it at all and the more traditional Corps using it at all high level communications, contracts and official statements.

Now, the other thing to understand about Caldari RP is  that, essentially, it's the RP of inlier and outlier social groups. Using Napaani is just another way of reinforcing that. 

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #38 on: 12 Jun 2013, 02:39 »

Instead of thinking of it as ye olde Englys try thinking of it as Mandarin Chinese in the Cantonese area. It's the official language of government and corporate hierarchy.

This firmly puts it into something all educated Caldari would speak and write in fluently. Then the question would be why a number of successful, educated Caldari capsuleers don't use it.

The different Corps make differing amounts of use of it, from what I've read, with the younger Corps barely using it at all and the more traditional Corps using it at all high level communications, contracts and official statements.

As far as I know, IRED does the majority of its communication in Caldari 'basic.' I'm not even sure the officer ranks are Napanii.

Now, the other thing to understand about Caldari RP is  that, essentially, it's the RP of inlier and outlier social groups.

This is a very interesting statement to me, especially as someone who doesn't do Caldari RP. Would you mind if I started a new thread about it?
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2013, 02:55 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #39 on: 12 Jun 2013, 05:14 »

I think I-RED/RDC ranks are Japanese. Can't remember that CCP would have really used Napanii anywhere, though some words were given meanings (and some of them are different in Napanii than original CCP meanings). Some of the player fiction which interfaces with Napanii has been adopted into prime fiction.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #40 on: 12 Jun 2013, 06:19 »

I hope nobody uses Japanese for "Caldari basic" regularly, because I've been using it as an Achuran dialect. That would get a bit confusing.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2013, 06:22 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #41 on: 12 Jun 2013, 11:31 »

I hope nobody uses Japanese for "Caldari basic" regularly, because I've been using it as an Achuran dialect. That would get a bit confusing.

No, we don't use Japanese for 'Caldari basic'. For simplicity, we simply just use English in our primary RP, and we let the players assume what they want about whatever language is being spoken. In an amusing twist, we've got so many players who learn Napaani, but I haven't met anyone who's learned Japanese.

I-RED Ranks are indeed a partial port of the Japanese Imperial Navy Ranks from World War II, though. I-RED DUST ranks are enlisted army ranks.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 12 Jun 2013, 14:50 »

This firmly puts it into something all educated Caldari would speak and write in fluently. Then the question would be why a number of successful, educated Caldari capsuleers don't use it.

I would imagine those people to be 'Mustangs' or 'Progressives' for the most part. Although really I would chat with those people and find out WHY their characters don't use Napaani.

As far as I know, IRED does the majority of its communication in Caldari 'basic.' I'm not even sure the officer ranks are Napanii.
IRED are a Capsuleer offshoot of a Mega subsidiary. I wonder if their communications with Mama Ishy proper would be more in Napaani. Then again, maybe Ishukone are one of those progressive Corps that don't use Napaani much.

This is a very interesting statement to me, especially as someone who doesn't do Caldari RP. Would you mind if I started a new thread about it?

Not at all! It's a theory of mine based  on the way that Caldari RPers seem to interact and based on the structure of Napaani and also the Caldari source stuffies. I won't go into detail here but WILL do a braindump in that new thread!

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 12 Jun 2013, 23:30 »

I would imagine those people to be 'Mustangs' or 'Progressives' for the most part. Although really I would chat with those people and find out WHY their characters don't use Napaani.

Oh, my characters inevitably know Napaani and speak it very well. An Achur must become Caldari to gain access to the more interesting Caldari toys-- even if that same Achur chooses to switch right back, after.

I resent efforts to make me speak it beyond a few words or phrases for color and texture. It smacks of establishing arbitrary bona-fides based on a few made-up bits of quasi-canon. I speak English quite well-- and the universal translator inevitably speaks Napaani.

Anslol

« Reply #44 on: 14 Jun 2013, 07:40 »

TBH I don't think it's an attempt to exclude anyone or be elitist or be unnecessarily complicated. I really like what it adds to the Caldari RP community. It makes it a lot richer and deep. Caldari are supposed to be hella proud of their heritage and culture and would fiercely defend it. So, it stands to reason you'd get something like napaani. I think it's interesting to see it used and learn a little bit of it for fun.

I especially like the -haan/-haani it brought up, as well as other bits of language. As long as it isn't forced or used to blind side someone, it's pretty neat.

That being said, I have no clue how it'd fit into the State overall...maybe it's a new military standard variation on other Caldari languages used as a homage to times of old as well as to be able to speak without worry that people would ease drop and undermine evil jackboot plans. Just my .02 isk.

EDIT: I will say this though...the small lexicon makes it hard to write song lyrics :S
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2013, 07:42 by Anslol »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4