Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That greasy, deep-fried Caldari takeout food is eaten with tongs and remains popular in the Federation?  (The Burning Life pp 40,41)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Question about Napaani  (Read 6262 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Question about Napaani
« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2013, 20:11 »

Why would they not speak Caldanese?

:evil:

I am not a fan of the term Caldanese.  If it is just some standard adjective, Caldari language would suffice.  Like German language.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2013, 20:23 »

Ugh. Caldanese.

Anyway, I never use Napaani and I've never really felt at all excluded. Do keep in mind though that while widely used, it is not PF (AFAIK). Probably because CCP doesn't want to have to go through and make sure no one slipped the Finnish phrase for 'your sister fucks pigs' into the PDF as a formal Napaani greeting.

I've always thought it was a bit like the 'correct' form of the Caldari language. Every speaks forms of it, but unless you received an education of a particular caliber, you probably don't speak 'proper' Napaani. That sort of thing.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2013, 03:14 »

Why would they not speak Caldanese?

:evil:

I am not a fan of the term Caldanese.  If it is just some standard adjective, Caldari language would suffice.  Like German language.

Caldarish maybe ?  :twisted:

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2013, 03:15 »

If it's the language of the Caldarians then it would have to be Caldarianese.

.  .. .. ... \o\

Gesakaarin

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2013, 04:22 »

I always thought Napanii was one of those ye olde dialects of modern Caldari that's seen a somewhat resurgence by modern romantics and those who want to show how much they value tradition or whatever.

Of course, for a modern Caldari, aside from a few key phrases Napanii might sound about the same as if someone tried conversing in English using the verse of Chaucer today - sounds familiar but not exactly clear.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2013, 07:12 »

I always thought Napanii was one of those ye olde dialects of modern Caldari that's seen a somewhat resurgence by modern romantics and those who want to show how much they value tradition or whatever.

Of course, for a modern Caldari, aside from a few key phrases Napanii might sound about the same as if someone tried conversing in English using the verse of Chaucer today - sounds familiar but not exactly clear.

This.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 14 Mar 2013, 12:31 »

.  .. .. ... \o\

*stab* *stab* *stab*  :evil:

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 14 Mar 2013, 18:08 »

.  .. .. ... \o\

*stab* *stab* *stab*  :evil:

Gallenteanish? Amarrese? Minmatarian?

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 14 Mar 2013, 18:13 »

This is getting off-topic but I actually find it important.

In all seriousness, correct me if I'm wrong and the following aren't canon:

sing. Caldari dem. Caldari lang. Caldari (or Napaani)
sing. Amarr dem. Amarrians lang. Amarrish
sing. Gallente dem. Gallentean lang. Gallentean
sing. Minmatar dem. Minmatar (or Matari) lang. Matari

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #24 on: 14 Mar 2013, 18:27 »

I don't think any official name has been given for the Minmatar language, but Caldanese is what I've seen given to the Caldari language in chronicles when it is explicitly mentioned (The Jovian Wetgrave, in particular).
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 14 Mar 2013, 18:30 »

Holy shit I hadn't noticed that. I read that story about 8 years ago and either it was edited or I didn't remember.

I think it's a ridiculous demonym that flies in the face of a lot of other sources but I suppose that's what CCP wants to go with.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #26 on: 14 Mar 2013, 22:13 »

I think it was edited - they went through IIRC and modified some of the old chrons at some point.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #27 on: 14 Mar 2013, 22:48 »

It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

I know there was something in the first part that was changed regarding the position of the story in the timeline, because I remember Abraxas fixing it after I pointed it out to him (something about the story happening way later than it should have, iirc). But nothing about the language. Could prod him on Twitter.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar 2013, 23:15 »

I think I would have recalled seeing "Caldanese" in there, but perhaps I just blotted it from my memory. It has been an extremely long time since I reread the chron, though.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 Mar 2013, 04:28 »

It's true that some PF mentions the term Caldanese.

However some of the rest talks about Jamyl being coronated (as opposed to crowned) so meh! On a side note, do Mary First Citizens wear crowns?

On the other hand it is PF so, sorry.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4