Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Suuolo" is Caldari for friend? For more, read here

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A few questions about planets  (Read 6300 times)

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
Re: A few questions about planets
« Reply #30 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:38 »

Denity: 2614.1 g/cm^3

I suspect they have screwed up their units.

Mild steel is about 7.85 g/cm3 (7850 kg/m3 ) - and Granite is about 2691 kg/m3, so I think they should be using kg/m^3 instead of g/cm^3
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #31 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:40 »

I'll be upfront and say that I think there's really no use in looking at the scientific data of any of the planets.

I started doing it to see if any of the non-temperate planets could be inhabited, and judging by the ingame data, it's more likely that life would survive on a non-temperate planet than a temperate one.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jul 2011, 17:48 »

Which is exactly why the in-game data is useless and shouldn't be taken for canon. It's pretty clear that temperate planets are the life-bearing worlds.

The in-game data was arbitrarily created in EVE's inception, back when planets were randomly skinned into "Solid", "Ice" and "Gas", and you couldn't really tell what was what. They were not changed when the reskins came in Dominion in 2009.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #33 on: 14 Jul 2011, 19:15 »

I thought they did fix the astrographical data at the time. Certainly, they made a big deal about hiring some astrophysicist to do so.

Kemekk

• Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #34 on: 14 Jul 2011, 19:26 »

I thought they did fix the astrographical data at the time. Certainly, they made a big deal about hiring some astrophysicist to do so.

Well he was a terrible astrophysicist.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 14 Jul 2011, 20:38 »

Well he was a terrible astrophysicist.

I think it was more "bring planets to within absolutely habitable ranges", i.e., temperatures not near absolute zero, masses not so huge the cores should be undergoing fusion, gravities not so high our bones should be shattering (although as Kemekk pointed out, gravity still may be quite heavy).
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #36 on: 15 Jul 2011, 08:55 »

Temperature: 306 K
Orbit Radius: 0.465 AU
Eccentricity: 0.039
Mass: 5.8e+23 kg
Denity: 2614.1 g/cm^3
Surface Gravity: 10.4 m/s^2
Escape Velocity: 4.5 km/s
Orbit Period: 25 days
Pressure: Very low
Radius: 3,750 km

Thanks, no time right now, but I'll chew over this today and see what I can deduce.  However, just looking at it this doesn't make sense.  Compared to Earth, this planet has a full order of magnitude less mass, but more gravity, a lower escape velocity, and a radius about half that of Earth.  The temperature is on the high side of a mean temperature (Earth's is 287.2K or 14 degrees C), and the eccentricity is three times that of Earth's. 

And I agree with Kemekk, whoever did this should not be allowed near actual spacecraft or planets. 

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jul 2011, 10:24 »

I'm not sure what they've done with these figures -- though, in their defense, the stars that should have collapsed into black holes and the gas giants that should have ignited are gone now.

I wouldn't have imagined it'd be too hard to make certain values dependent on the others -- escape velocity being sqrt(2GM/r) and local gravitational field strength being Gm/r^2, say. I doubt that these kind of obscure lore features are high on CCP's list (and even someone as nitpicky as myself would rather see other things handled first), but it's still kind of strange.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #38 on: 15 Jul 2011, 11:45 »

Okay, cranking everything out, and using an estimate for the Amarr star's mass, if Amarr Prime has a period of 25 earth days, its orbit should be around 23 X 10^9 meters in radius, or less than half the listed distance of 0.465 AU or 69.564 X 10^9 meters.  If it orbits at an average of 69.564 X 10^9 meters, then its period (length of the year) should be about 132.6 earth days.  Also, on a guess I looked up Mercury and its has a very close match with the listed orbital radius for Amarr Prime.  So yeah, they didn't try hard enough on this for me. 

Also, looking up more stuff about habital zones, and assuming that the Amarr Star's luminosity is compared to the Suns (since there are no units this is the only think I could think of that made sense, given the small number), the habital zone of such a star would be approximately .29 AU, meaning Amarr Prime should be a frozen rock.  Amarr VIII Oris, out a 7.789 AUs should be a REALLY frozen rock.  Which leads me to one conclusion.

Damn Jovians...

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #39 on: 17 Jul 2011, 07:41 »

Matar (Pator IV) info from in-game:

Temperature: 306 K (much hotter, Earth mean 287.2K)
Orbit radius: 2.663 AU (much farther away, Earth orbiths at 1 AU)
Eccentricity: 0.009 (less eccentric, Earth 0.01671123)
Mass: 5.9e+23kg (much lighter, Earth 5.9e+24kg)
Density: 4068.5 g/cm^3 (smaller, Earth 5.515 g/cm3)
Surface gravity: 9.9m/s^2 (almost same, Earth 9.780327 m/s2)
Escape velocity: 4.9km/s (much smaller, Earth 11,186 km/s)
Orbit period: 1357 days (much longer, Earth 365.256 days)
Radius: 3,250 km (much smaller, Earth mean radius 6,371.0 km)

So while the values given for planets now are more sensible than they used to be, I'd guess they are still off.

Note how some of the values for Matar (supposed to have been a natural paradise) differ from Earth's by an order of magnitude. By size, mass and escape velocity Matar is close to Mars, even if Matar gravity and temperature have values closer to Earth - a quite curious combination.

The show info values can also conflict with the values of other planets in the same system. For example Pator III (Huggar) and Pator IV (Matar) are both temperate worlds. Pator III temperature is listed as 307K, at 1.723 AU. Pator IV temperature is 306 K at 2.663 AU. For comparison, Pator II, a barren world, is supposedly 108K at 0.782 AU.

This leads me to believe the show info values for all planets have been independently randomly generated for each planet, and have not been checked for consistency with PF or each other.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2011, 07:44 by Isobel Mitar »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jul 2011, 08:28 »

Are you guys taking the values of stars into all those caculations about "being in the inhabitable zone"?.

A planet may indeed be hotter or colder in mean temperature, but its the main star that defines quite a bit the conditions. Light spectrum, size, etc.

Kemekk

• Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #41 on: 17 Jul 2011, 11:55 »

Matar (Pator IV) info from in-game:

Temperature: 306 K (much hotter, Earth mean 287.2K)
Orbit radius: 2.663 AU (much farther away, Earth orbiths at 1 AU)
Eccentricity: 0.009 (less eccentric, Earth 0.01671123)
Mass: 5.9e+23kg (much lighter, Earth 5.9e+24kg)
Density: 4068.5 g/cm^3 (smaller, Earth 5.515 g/cm3)
Surface gravity: 9.9m/s^2 (almost same, Earth 9.780327 m/s2)
Escape velocity: 4.9km/s (much smaller, Earth 11,186 km/s)
Orbit period: 1357 days (much longer, Earth 365.256 days)
Radius: 3,250 km (much smaller, Earth mean radius 6,371.0 km)

So while the values given for planets now are more sensible than they used to be, I'd guess they are still off.

Note how some of the values for Matar (supposed to have been a natural paradise) differ from Earth's by an order of magnitude. By size, mass and escape velocity Matar is close to Mars, even if Matar gravity and temperature have values closer to Earth - a quite curious combination.

The show info values can also conflict with the values of other planets in the same system. For example Pator III (Huggar) and Pator IV (Matar) are both temperate worlds. Pator III temperature is listed as 307K, at 1.723 AU. Pator IV temperature is 306 K at 2.663 AU. For comparison, Pator II, a barren world, is supposedly 108K at 0.782 AU.

This leads me to believe the show info values for all planets have been independently randomly generated for each planet, and have not been checked for consistency with PF or each other.

A habitable planet can have a hotter mean temperature than Earth's (306 Kelvin is only 91 Fahrenheit) and still have a smaller temperature range. Because of this planet's size relative to Earth, it's possible that most of the planet is in a tropical state rather than having a wide range of ecosystems. The planet is also farther away from the sun, so we could assume that the sun is much larger or much hotter than our own sun. Matar appears to be habitable to me.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2011, 12:01 by Kemekk »

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 17 Jul 2011, 12:50 »

A habitable planet can have a hotter mean temperature than Earth's (306 Kelvin is only 91 Fahrenheit) and still have a smaller temperature range. Because of this planet's size relative to Earth, it's possible that most of the planet is in a tropical state rather than having a wide range of ecosystems. The planet is also farther away from the sun, so we could assume that the sun is much larger or much hotter than our own sun. Matar appears to be habitable to me.

Theoretically correct. Now try to fit "the inhospitable steppes of the Mikramurka continent in the northern artic [sic] region on Matar" into this.

Matar had the "vast Eyniletti-plains" -- "large, fertile plains of Matar, home planet of the Minmatars, with endless herds of hoofed animals" -- "the island-ridden southern hemisphere", "the mountainous region of the upper Tronhadar-valley" and "the inhospitable steppes of the Mikramurka continent in the northern artic [sic] region".

Perhaps things have changed significantly since the pollution kicked in. If so, it'd be nice to know, since a number of us Sebbies still play that Mikramurka is cold.

The Sebiestor tribe hails from the inhospitable steppes of the Mikramurka continent in the northern artic region on Matar. [....]

The Brutors are a swarthy people originating from the island-ridden southern hemisphere of Matar. [....]

The Brutor tribe and the Starkmanir tribe were once one and the same, living in the vast Eyniletti-plains. Some thousands of years ago one of the sub-clans of this tribe traversed the Mioar-strait and started settling the islands in the Mioar archipelago, moving ever more southwards. [....]

The Krusual tribe initially inhabited the mountainous region of the upper Tronhadar-valley on Matar. [....]

The large, fertile plains of Matar, home planet of the Minmatars, with endless herds of hoofed animals, proved ideal for a nomadic lifestyle. The fabulous conditions on Matar coupled with more than enough space meant there was less incentive to struggle to keep up the technology level after the closure of the EVE gate. For ages the Minmatars roamed this paradise, slowly divided by time and distance into numerous tribes.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2011, 12:52 by Matariki Rain »

Kemekk

• Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #43 on: 17 Jul 2011, 15:27 »

Well that does contradict the ingame planet stats...

It's starting to look like we should ignore those.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 17 Jul 2011, 17:40 »

Well that does contradict the ingame planet stats...

It's starting to look like we should ignore those.

Yeah, sorry about that...

As mentioned, although I hope not too often apparent, mine is the bitterness of disappointed hope. I'm more a world-builder and storyteller than a gamer, and EVE has so much promise.
Pages: 1 2 [3]