Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lai Dai Infinity Systems is a capsuleer partner of the Lai Dai Corporation? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A few questions about planets  (Read 6302 times)

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
A few questions about planets
« on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:32 »

Obviously stations are all colonized, but what about planets? Are there only a few planets in New Eden that are habitable, or are their thousands?

Are only temperate planets considered habitable or could they all (Obviously not lava planets...) be colonized?

Is there a list of habitable planets (determined either by CCP lore or player fiction) anywhere?

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
Re: A few questions about planets
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:40 »

Temperate planets would be habitable by definition. They're worlds that can sustain human life with minimal shelters. The other planet types could be inhabited, but require various shelters of sorts. It doesn't seem likely that all habitable planets are currently colonized.

There's no full list that I know of, though I once considered flying to every temperate planet in the game and checking to see if there were lights on them. But I don't have the time to do so.

Kemekk

• Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2011, 21:45 »

I didn't mean to suggest that all habitable planets were colonized, just saying that it would be very unlikely that there were only a handful per race.

Also I assume that for ease of development, every temperate planet in the game has lights on it.

Tamur

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2011, 23:00 »

The 126 populous temperate planets of the Federation have been listed, thanks to Seriphyn Inhonores. Assuming the habitable planet number density is roughly constant, there would be around 500 of them in total.

Kemekk

• Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2011, 23:51 »

Do you know if there's one of those for Amarr planets?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2011, 00:30 »

I would note two things here: 1, given the presence in PF of such normally-uninhabitable planets as the Seylinn I colony, I think we can assume that many planets beyond the temperate ones have colonies on them.

2, it's quite possible that even the inhabited temperate planets have populations far lower than "Earth standard" - hundreds of millions, perhaps, on the more built-up colonies; tens or just a few million on the more "frontier" worlds.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2011, 06:04 »

Heh, I need to finish that guide...it's incomplete atm, and only documents planets with city lights.

It's simple enough; find a temperate world in highsec and fly to its darkside, see if it has city lights. Even if it doesn't, it likely has a very sparse population smaller than a billion.

The Federation is an interesting case. Seyllin I was described as being completely subterranean, yet there was a working ecosystem present with flora, skyscrapers and so on (likely a rendered sky as well). Obviously, all of the other empires would have colonies on non-temperate worlds, but "functional" cultures like Minmatar and Caldari would unlikely go as far as to making it all fancy like the Gallente.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2011, 13:21 »

You can probably assume that any temperate world has at least a small city (3-4million inhabitants). Even if the atmosphere pressure or gravity isn't up to earth standards, general agro-forestry activities in these landscapes would be much cheaper, easier and productive than on stations.

For barren planets, it is possible early stages of terraforming are in progress, and therefore small dome-cities sit at suitable geographic locations (near poles for ice/water on hot worlds, near equator on colder ones).

Personally i think it was only the gaseous, storm, lava and plasma planets that really lacked any "permanent" colonists.

Kemekk

• Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2011, 14:30 »

The descriptions of oceanic and storm worlds lists them as terrestrial, which means earth-like. I'd assume both would be able to be colonized, with underwater cities on oceanic worlds and possibly some small island cities (assuming there are any at all on an oceanic world), and for storm worlds I assume they have some sort of suitable landscape beneath the atmosphere since they are listed as having a primarily rocky mass.

There are some planets like both of those in Mass Effect and Star Wars lore.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2011, 15:39 »

Gallenteans are big fans of underwater cities. The description of Oceanic world Planetary Interaction Nodes have them as industrial structures on the ocean floor. They might vary from functional to exotic, depending on the culture building them.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2011, 15:49 »

Is the information on those planets just made up or is any of it sourced anywhere?

It seems like a rather pointless (and potentially counter-productive) endeavor to create a fictional background about every random planet with lights on it. I'd be much more interested in a list of them, with descriptions sourced from PF if they exist, and then something along the lines of "There is no official information on this planet's population" if it's not mentioned anywhere.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2011, 18:08 »

"There is no official information on this planet's population" would constitute pretty much all 126 entries. Even worlds that were referred to as populated in chrons and such are not even temperate in-game.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2011, 23:23 »

I see.

And don't think I don't appreciate the effort that went into making that. It is very impressive and quite cool and I wish CCP would do something like that too.

I just think that we'll eventually run into a point where CCP will do SOMETHING with one (or more) of the planets and render your work for naught.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 01 Jul 2011, 00:43 »

Yeah man, the Hammer of CCP will definitely come down Eventually (or is that Soon™?). But until then...

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #14 on: 01 Jul 2011, 15:02 »

I see.
And don't think I don't appreciate the effort that went into making that. It is very impressive and quite cool and I wish CCP would do something like that too.
I just think that we'll eventually run into a point where CCP will do SOMETHING with one (or more) of the planets and render your work for naught.

Using CCP PF as well as player material as sources and inspiration, the ILF has been developing quite a bit of information on Intaki and a number of colonial worlds. It could very well happen that CCP will eventually void all of our efforts, but in the meantime it gives us a sandcastle to play in. And there is some hope that CCP will recognize the quality of our efforts and make use of them.

Quote from: Hjalti DanĂ­elsson
At some point we'll move on to fleshing out various facets of the back story, and I will keep your material in mind when we get around to the Gallente bloodlines.

As you probably know, Mr. Danielsson is the author of "The Burning Life" and many CCP chrons written under the name CCP Abraxas. Now his comment could have been a pat on the head, but in the larger context of our e-mail exchanges, I think there was sincerity to it.

Of course, this all comes with CCP's trademark "eventually" and his sincerity could be made irrelevant by some future change in direction.
Pages: [1] 2 3