Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a lone miner was detained and executed on 29.11YC105 for "suspicious curiosity" after asking passing Imperial Fleet ships "where they were going with all those guns".

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Federation Political Brainstroming  (Read 7585 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Federation Political Brainstroming
« Reply #30 on: 26 Apr 2011, 04:58 »

I may have got it wrong regarding the Intaki Assembly bit, and this might exist for Jin-Mei and Mannar too. As in, there may be 62 districts and 3 assemblies (similar to Russia having multiple types of subdivisions).

In RP, fiction and whatnot, there's always talk of "Federal" institutes...what about exploring district things? District courts, district parliaments, district laws, district politics...I think however, that the use of Federal foremost is that they are the most likely ones to have the most influence/authority over capsuleers (a capsuleer that strolls out of their areas of station, or walks around on planet, is going to be subject to local law IMO). Even lower than district, apparently the systems vary.

Moreover, perhaps party lines are being downplayed to distance it from IRL? Abraxas was extremely creative in regards to the Gallenteans in TBL, perhaps he wants to plan something similar in regards to outlining Federal government and politics? Maybe a more SW Old Republic thing, of having planets with a wide variety of different systems (all adhering to basic constitutional tenets), and their own governance, but with a Senator. No parties as the Federation may be too diverse to be able to consolidate political opinion.

One of these things. We'll Seeā„¢ once this immersion project is finally updated. I think one of the biggest assumptions people make is that the Federation has monolithic control. The Federation is a federation.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #31 on: 26 Apr 2011, 06:54 »

I think the local districts are where the true rp opportunities are.  It's sort of like coming up with your own space marine chapter in Warhammer 40k tabletop (never played, but really into the fiction).  The setting allows you to come up with varying setups without breaking the game.

What I still want to do, and what Seriphyn has done great work on, is get the factual PF about the Federation and try filling in some logical gaps to further enhance the setting.   

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2011, 02:07 »

Well, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, a little red-haired Gallentean ran off and started her own political movement called the Progressive Reformist Party. It's a take on federation politics from a distinctly capsuleer, big-picture perspective.

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2011, 21:20 »

Well, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, a little red-haired Gallentean ran off and started her own political movement called the Progressive Reformist Party. It's a take on federation politics from a distinctly capsuleer, big-picture perspective.
Thanks for pointing out this awe-inspiring project. Really good stuff.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2011, 21:51 »

Good stuff. 

Curious: What did you think of the term "progressive" in regards to Gallente politics back when you did that project?

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2011, 21:56 »

I think the local districts are where the true rp opportunities are.  It's sort of like coming up with your own space marine chapter in Warhammer 40k tabletop (never played, but really into the fiction). The setting allows you to come up with varying setups without breaking the game.
In principle I agree that special interest groups and local RP would be realistic and offer lots of opportunities. Still, when people have tried to set up this kind of projects, they have generally seemed to be receiving pretty disillusioned response from the commentators, and running into recruitment difficulties. If there were a large number of players pursuing parallel, similar projects, things would probably get much more dynamic.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you meant by local RP? Does a Murethand-based PvP corporation qualify? I was thinking something along the lines of Sotaku estate, or Achura/Intaki secessionist movements.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #36 on: 29 Apr 2011, 22:04 »

Curious: What did you think of the term "progressive" in regards to Gallente politics back when you did that project?
Uh, it has been six years, but from what I recall, Kal's progressive stance had been to encourage technological advancement to make things like clones more accessible to the citizenry, trimming funding to CONCORD to bolster our own military (that may have helped, huh?), but also for the government to take an active interest in affairs in 0.0 by either forming active relationships with capsuleer alliances or subtly encouraging the spread of democracy in the outer regions.

Not much has really changed in that regard either, except now there's a war and the Intaki situation has deteriorated dramatically. :P

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #37 on: 03 May 2011, 12:00 »

Uh, it has been six years, but from what I recall, Kal's progressive stance had been to encourage technological advancement to make things like clones more accessible to the citizenry, trimming funding to CONCORD to bolster our own military (that may have helped, huh?), but also for the government to take an active interest in affairs in 0.0 by either forming active relationships with capsuleer alliances or subtly encouraging the spread of democracy in the outer regions.

Not much has really changed in that regard either, except now there's a war and the Intaki situation has deteriorated dramatically. :P
So more of a real world definition in regards to applying academic theory to governmental planning to better society versus the Federal Progressive Party which says it stands for libertarian ideals.  FWIW, I've always though it was a poor choice for the party name.

Ammentio Oinkelmar

• Egger
  • zombie
« Reply #38 on: 12 Jun 2011, 10:16 »

So more of a real world definition in regards to applying academic theory to governmental planning to better society versus the Federal Progressive Party which says it stands for libertarian ideals.  FWIW, I've always though it was a poor choice for the party name.
I have actually taken the following quote from the Fully Factual Guide to the Federation as the practical "definition" of a New Eden progressive: 'The Progressors believe in laissez-faire politics, and the belief of the "Promised Land", that all individuals must rise up on their own without the help of the Federal government.'

Renjith Prabeaux (a player character) once gave the following rant about the term: '"Progress" is so often invoked as a clever cover term for the sort of unregulated and uncontrolled economic opportunism that brought us commercial "success" stories like the Serpentis Corporation.'

What I'm trying to suggest is that the label 'progressive' might have been introduced in the context of Federal politics as a highly misleading marketing term. Looking at the real life party or ideology labels, many of them seem to be catchy and inspiring but describe the ideology fairly inadequately.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jun 2011, 11:55 »

I have actually taken the following quote from the Fully Factual Guide to the Federation as the practical "definition" of a New Eden progressive: 'The Progressors believe in laissez-faire politics, and the belief of the "Promised Land", that all individuals must rise up on their own without the help of the Federal government.'

Renjith Prabeaux (a player character) once gave the following rant about the term: '"Progress" is so often invoked as a clever cover term for the sort of unregulated and uncontrolled economic opportunism that brought us commercial "success" stories like the Serpentis Corporation.'

What I'm trying to suggest is that the label 'progressive' might have been introduced in the context of Federal politics as a highly misleading marketing term. Looking at the real life party or ideology labels, many of them seem to be catchy and inspiring but describe the ideology fairly inadequately.

It would seem that the idea rarely remains intact when applied to the real world. It's no surprise that progress to some is not the same to others, and in pursuit of its meaning in New Eden we find plenty of variation. When Kaleigh was involved in Fed politics she was also heavily inspired by freespace ideology and the transhumanist ideal from her former allies at Star Fraction, and clearly influenced her vision for a technologically progressive nation.

Faraelle Brightman

• Clonejack
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jun 2011, 04:32 »

Psst.  If Gallente elections are every five years and the last big one was YC108, then the Fed is due for a Senate election (it would be Presidential too except for Foritain -> Roden).  It's doubtful that CCP will do anything for it but there's room for players to have fun with it.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #41 on: 28 Jun 2011, 05:29 »

Psst.  If Gallente elections are every five years and the last big one was YC108, then the Fed is due for a Senate election (it would be Presidential too except for Foritain -> Roden).  It's doubtful that CCP will do anything for it but there's room for players to have fun with it.

IC news items have been dead since December, so... probably not a single thing going to happen in terms of PF.  If anyone there is aware of this, they probably think there's nothing to worry about until Roden's been in the seat for five years himself.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #42 on: 28 Jun 2011, 06:08 »

IC news items have been dead since December, so... probably not a single thing going to happen in terms of PF.  If anyone there is aware of this, they probably think there's nothing to worry about until Roden's been in the seat for five years himself.
I'm thinking of just saying one of my characters got elected senator.  He's more qualified than Padme, I tell you that.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #43 on: 28 Jun 2011, 08:21 »

I'm thinking of just saying one of my characters got elected senator.  He's more qualified than Padme, I tell you that.

Poppycock. I guarantee you that his hairstyle and/or bewbs are nowhere near as awesome.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.
Pages: 1 2 [3]