Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The True Slaves are loyal, implant controlled slave troops of Sansha Kuvakei? Moar here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Crimes against humanity  (Read 3429 times)

Letos

Re: Crimes against humanity
« Reply #15 on: 10 Mar 2015, 03:26 »

As far as I know, there are some border regions, were the empires struggle to gain control and territorial sovereignity changes quiet often. Top level 'international law' would be very useful to further reconciliation and transitional justice in newly (re)occupied territory. Given the extend of territorial wars and claims in New Eden, some kind of jurisdiction for captured enemy leaders, members of major pirate factions, and even large scale 'criminal' corporations would be highly desirable in deed. Somehow the empires must condemn massive violence against whole people, ethnic groups etc. Otherwise whole systems and planets would propably defect and start uprisings. The fighting empires would loose important public support.

Therefore, I imagine that the idea of human rights/crimes against humanity go quiet well with the Caldari and Gallente. That's my feeling from the lore so far. Both may refer to abstract higher values (with grave differences regarding the role of the state system of course). I don't know much about Amarr and Minmatar, though. Maybe the religious and tribal thing suggests a completely different approach to the problem.

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 10 Mar 2015, 03:39 »

If we take a rather broad view and simply say that "crimes against humanity" refer to actions which violate a notion of human dignity to a gross extent. I would say it is perfectly feasible that each society in New Eden would have some conception of them, particularly ones with an absolutist approach to morality (such as the Amarr or Gallente). Now whether there is a legal framework akin to what we have in reality... I find that more doubtful myself.

That being said I can certainly see certain agreements and treaties ruling out certain actions on the intergalactic stage as being entirely reasonable (such as arms treaties, or agreements on diplomatic immunity, etc.). If not absolutely necessary for an intergalactic system to function.

Just my two cents. :)

-A

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2015, 10:32 »

There are such agreements. We have seen mention of arms limitations and POWs in the news, for example. Thus my reference above to New Eden variants of the Geneva Convention and Treaty of non proliferation of nukes.

Thanks for the answer, they are interesting.

Also Silver, I still do think IRL that the notion of crimes against humanity is a western concept that only western countries continue to try to enforce, but that other cultures feel a lot less concerned with. Like middle east and africa, for example. I may be wrong of course, but that's how I see it there. After all, it was specifically created by the Yalta powers and Nuremberg trials or something...

What I would expect though, is to see similar things than the Geneva convention. It's a lot less specific, and a lot less westernized. It's more humanitarian and civilized in its definition. It's a convention between signatories in case of war.

Crimes against humanity implies trials and international justice based upon western values.
Lyn? Just for your consideration, one of the more intriguing points I picked up from my international law professor is that, for the most part, the people who cry the most about "Western cultural imperialism" are the ones with a lot of power and a lot of stake in keeping it.

People who do not have power tend to be thrilled to the very tips of their toes at the idea that they have rights as human beings that can never be taken away.

Yeah I would guess so too...

Thanks for the answer, they are interesting.

Also Silver, I still do think IRL that the notion of crimes against humanity is a western concept that only western countries continue to try to enforce, but that other cultures feel a lot less concerned with. Like middle east and africa, for example. I may be wrong of course, but that's how I see it there. After all, it was specifically created by the Yalta powers and Nuremberg trials or something...

What I would expect though, is to see similar things than the Geneva convention. It's a lot less specific, and a lot less westernized. It's more humanitarian and civilized in its definition. It's a convention between signatories in case of war.

Crimes against humanity implies trials and international justice based upon western values.

the modern, specific framework and 'justice system' surrounding 'Crimes against humanity' certianly - my point was that there is no reason to believe it is entirely unlikely that a similar concept might arrive, as it may be a function partially of technology rather than a specific cultural milieu. Not that culture wouldn't influence the specifics, of course.

Yes, perhaps, or perhaps not, thus why I was asking if we have hints in PF that could go that way...

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #18 on: 10 Mar 2015, 23:13 »

I think it has already been mentioned. But beyond the bounty billboards I think that given how big the Eve universe is, the amount of PF we have is pretty small. So it is tough to answer every question relying solely on PF. Sometimes we just have to make our best guesses!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 11 Mar 2015, 03:04 »

Definitely. Was more of a curiosity question than anything else.

Letos

« Reply #20 on: 11 Mar 2015, 03:24 »

I found the following prime fiction paragraph in Eve Source (2014), p. 35. Quiet interesting:

Quote from: CCP
Many analysts have called the Retribution Act [e.g. simplification of rules of engagement and legalization of clone warriors; H.H.] a barbaric, inhumane piece of legislation, with CONCORD essentially arguing that those with posthuman status may choose their own level of humanity so long as the treatment of noncapsuleer personnel remains within the realms of the Yulai Convention.

Sounds like both, protecting humanity and overcome it at the same time.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 11 Mar 2015, 05:52 »

Interesting bit of info. It opens up a lot of things, like the liberal stance of CONCORD on the way posthumans can choose their own level of morals. It also tells clearly that the rules they enforce are essentially there to keep the boundaries between posthumans (capsuleers and dusters) and baseliners, ans make sure that the usual human laws remain enforced on baseliners even with capsuleers around.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2015, 05:54 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 [2]