Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Return of the Jove  (Read 22914 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Return of the Jove
« Reply #120 on: 18 Feb 2015, 20:37 »

I think more 'intelligent' NPCs are going to run into the limits of eve's combat mechanics pretty fast.

IE:  Combat in EVE has always been more about the planning, organizing, and strategy -before- the fight. By the time you are on field you've already got your ship fitted for 'x' specific sort of contingency and the die is mostly cast.  Combat in EVE is all about the setup to the fight, and not the lackluster game mechanics of the actual pew pew part.

Basically most encounters with NPCs (or pvpers) are decided before any shots are fired based on how eve's pew pew mechanics and preset ship fittings works. There are exceptions of coursea but 90% of the time you win or lose based on what you are fit for in damage, tanking, range, etc and what your opponant brings in the same regard.

I do see those new tech destroyers as an interesting ray of sunlight on that department though, allowing much more dynamic shifting of ship abilities for a changing situation. 

Having more gameplay that is about adjusting on the fly to a dynamic foe rather than leaving field to refit and counter a specific threat is perhaps a good way forward.

Intelligent NPCs can get around those limits by simply being coded in a way that allows them whatever tools they need to do the job. There's nothing really stopping CCP from creating an NPC that can effectively make use of almost any function modules currently give us as players, without limit or "prefitting". Drifter needs more cap? Recharge cap. It's not like they have to choose to fit a rig before the fight.

The reality is that "Intelligent NPCs" would really just be "overpowered" NPCs, far beyond anything we can fly, simply because they aren't us.

Yes I probably said my thing wrong, I meant more that smarter NPCs will quickly reach the limits of what you as players can deal with, based on current limitations of eve's pvp gameplay mechanics.

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs
« Reply #121 on: 19 Feb 2015, 06:13 »

So long as a human is in control of a given event, I think that is both very true and alright, Silas.  The NPCs may stretch the limits of what is achievable with current PvP mechanics, but it is the application of them that can solve that problem, more so than tamping down on their cleverness. 

To be honest its about time we asp layers had our abilities tested by CCP as well as each other :P

Good points all round though guys - lets keep this rolling.

Jandice Ymladris

• Collector of Civilians!
  • Wetgraver
    • Aurora Arcology News
« Reply #122 on: 21 Feb 2015, 02:13 »

There's a way to make them more challenging, without making them overpowered. On 1 vs 1, humans always win in the long run. It gets different with small groups.

Take by example if Drifters appeared in groups of 3 that cooperate. Now add that there's 3 different types of Drifter ships.
One is the Artemis, a dps-focused battleship, second would be the Apollo, with the ability of remote logistics along with dps and third would be the Strategos, a Drifter that has command ship bonuses along with dps (with stackable command bonuses, for below idea).

Now if you make the groups of 3 be a random composition of these ships, you could get some interesting & challenging groups, from a triangle-repping Apollo trio, to a group of one of each. As you don't know what you face in advance without scouting ahead, you'll either need more flexible ships, or carry around a variety of modules & ships.
This would be enat, in combination with their 30 minute cycle they exhibit with their wormholes (they enter & leave roughly every 30 minutes, could be fun if it changes group composition every 30 minutes, giving players little time to prepare.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #123 on: 21 Feb 2015, 03:26 »

It would even  be better if you don't know what they do before you actually fight them, be it an Artemis, Appolo or otherwise.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #124 on: 23 Feb 2015, 10:20 »

Huh. So we've got news developments, the Scope videos are back, and now Interstellar Correspondents again.

Maybe CCP actually does want to make lore development a thing again.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #125 on: 23 Feb 2015, 10:25 »

Stop jinxing it.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #126 on: 23 Feb 2015, 11:57 »

CCP Seagull has said several times that she loves Eve's lore and wants to make it more of a focus for the game going forward.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #127 on: 23 Feb 2015, 13:47 »

What's the best way to get an event covered by the ISD? Ideally, I'd like for the Seyllin Conference to show up in the Game World News.

Oh, and miss you in game, Sami.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #128 on: 23 Feb 2015, 13:49 »

there's an email address, but i don't remember it offhand.

there used to be a thing to submit news stories, but they broke it in a website update, and that was a couple years ago, and I don't know if they've put in a replacement mechanism

try a petition, maybe you'll get an answer
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2015, 13:53 by Louella Dougans »
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #129 on: 23 Feb 2015, 13:54 »

CCP Seagull has said several times that she loves Eve's lore and wants to make it more of a focus for the game going forward.

What kind of decision power has CCP Seagull ?

Nissui

« Reply #130 on: 23 Feb 2015, 14:11 »

What's the best way to get an event covered by the ISD? Ideally, I'd like for the Seyllin Conference to show up in the Game World News.

ISD appear to ignore mails by and large. Perhaps a tweet @ Falcon?

I suspect slightly less than the suits who say, "engagements and losses with huge numbers are the real narrative and are what drive new subs".

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #131 on: 23 Feb 2015, 15:56 »

Um..

Lots?

She's the Executive Producer for Eve. She is literally steering the game at the moment.

CCP Seagull here. Today I am humbled and excited to tell you that I am taking on the job of Executive Producer for EVE Online. This means that my responsibilities have extended from navigating CCP’s development efforts to encompass the whole EVE project - the full overall direction.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #132 on: 23 Feb 2015, 17:17 »

Ok !

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #133 on: 28 Feb 2015, 21:37 »

So my corp(cult)mate, Seekoei, was probe scanning in highsec and probed out some drifter thing and the drifter came at her and blew her. https://cultofthelash.zkillboard.com/kill/44935223/. So drifter just attacked for no reason and it came up on our killboard like a CONCORD kill.  :cry:

Ibrahim Tash-Murkon

• Wetgraver
« Reply #134 on: 28 Feb 2015, 21:53 »

So my corp(cult)mate, Seekoei, was probe scanning in highsec and probed out some drifter thing and the drifter came at her and blew her. https://cultofthelash.zkillboard.com/kill/44935223/. So drifter just attacked for no reason and it came up on our killboard like a CONCORD kill.  :cry:

Drifter Battleships will engage when not aggressed if ships get to close to the wormhole or, possibly, if they just hang around too long. Also, not sure if this has been posted yet but there's a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKXFBTJZZJ0) of an Unidentified Structure blowing up/coming apart which, I think, comes from SiSi assets.
“If your hands aren’t bleeding, you aren’t working hard enough.”
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10