Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small colony hangars cannot have comprehensive hangar security systems due to the need to scramble forces quickly? (The Burning Life p. 78)

Author Topic: How do you rationalize T2 and T3 production ICly ?  (Read 1718 times)

Lyn Farel

It is not something new, but it has always annoyed me.

Producing T2 requires invention. Basically inventing the blueprints for the T2 variant out of the basic T1 BPO. Then you get a BPC with a certain number of runs, because obviously you haven't paid the rights for unlimited runs by buying the BPO (to whichever T2 manufacturer). And then, once all the runs are exhausted, you have to reinvent the thing ? Seriously ?

Also, if you are trying to invent the T2 design, that's because the manufacturers do not sell you their blueprints. If they don't, then they don't want you to have them obviously. So, why bothering respecting the number of runs since after all you are not buying them legally to begin with ?

And also, why do those idiots help you by selling your the datacores ? That's a treat because you have good standing with them ? So if I understand correctly, they like to make you sweat a little for them in exchange of datacores, and eventually a few runs with your new BPC you invented yourself ? Ok, I guess I can live with that.

But it doesn't solve the issue of re inventing the damn thing over and over ! Do they take you all your research notes everytime to make sure you start over again ?

Same for T3 ? You gather all the parts in Anoikis and stuff, great. That's a lot less convoluted than for T2. But then, you retro engineer the hell out of those parts, build your T3 and... YOU HAVE TO START IT AGAIN AND RETRO ENGINEER THE THING AGAIN ?  :bash:

I know a guy like that :

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: How do you rationalize T2 and T3 production ICly ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2015, 14:49 »

Aside from "game mechanic is game mechanic?"

The thing about T2 and T3 parts is that the technology behind them is barely understood. The way I look at it is that you're actually putting some time and effort into helping scientists of whatever faction organization wrap their (and your) heads around this damn stuff. Your "invention" might be some slightly-new application of known principles, or might actually be an attempted application that should have worked based on current predictive models, but didn't work for some interesting and informative reason, which might itself remain unknown (but the fact you ran into it is itself interesting and informative).

You're contributing to the research effort.

In exchange, you get limited rights to make use of what is known.

Poof. Invention.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2015, 15:29 »

Well yeah, it's of course the kind of question that is akin to pve casualties in New Eden.

I can rationalize by just saying that every time I have to invent a new T2 BPC out of a T1 BPO, it is not actually inventing the thing indeed, but keeping the process up to date with the imperatives at hand... Same for T3...

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2015, 16:38 »

Occam's Razor suggests that for T2, the issue is just that the term "invention" is poorly chosen.

As for reverse engineering for T3s... consider that what you are performing RE on is not actually a blueprint - it is just treated as one by the game for industry purposes - it is actually a physical relic that has to be reverse-engineered into a blueprint. One could interpret that as the blueprint in question is tied specifically to that very relic that was used - so while the outcome of the reverse engineering (a T3 ship) is always known, the very exacting details of how that ship is going to be built from the relic are going to be semi-unique each time even if they generally require the same materials in the end.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor