Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Slaver-hounds aren't a type of dog? For more information see here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: How strong is your factional loyalty?  (Read 12853 times)

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
Re: How strong is your factional loyalty?
« Reply #30 on: 10 Feb 2011, 12:34 »

Within the Empire though, it's a bit more nuanced.

And this, for all you Amarr faction types out there, is why Rodj stays interesting despite having hewed to the same faction for God only knows how many years.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #31 on: 10 Feb 2011, 14:06 »

IC Graanvlokkies loyalty is torn between his corporation, Sansha's Nation and the State. He has a great admiration for the Amarr Empire and has studied its religion intensely.

OOC I think the Amarr Empire is truly one of the best factions and even tried to steer Graanvlokkie in that direction. I think it was his rejection IC from the Amarr block that made him finally defect to Sansha's Nation, so my OOC plan for him to join the Amarr Empire didn't quite work out.

Am I the only person whose IC and OOC "loyalties" differ?

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #32 on: 10 Feb 2011, 14:39 »

Am I the only person whose IC and OOC "loyalties" differ?
No. IC, Dossie's getting bored of the Guristas, they don't really do anything for her so why should she offer them loyalty?
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #33 on: 10 Feb 2011, 15:56 »

OOC I think the Amarr Empire is truly one of the best factions and even tried to steer Graanvlokkie in that direction. I think it was his rejection IC from the Amarr block that made him finally defect to Sansha's Nation, so my OOC plan for him to join the Amarr Empire didn't quite work out.

Who in the Amarr Block rejected you?

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #34 on: 10 Feb 2011, 18:24 »

Ask one of my characters in-character how they feel about a group and chances are they will give an honest answer.  ;)

Orthic

• Wetgraver
« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2011, 20:20 »

IC, my character's loyalties vary a bit, as one is a Serp, one's a psycho, one's essentially a non-entity as far as RP goes, and the fourth is a carebear in amarr hisec that doesn't give a damn about the empire.

OOC, I have roughly the same lack of attachment to any particular faction. I'm an RP junkie and can think of a dozen kinds of characters I'd like to play, but am limited by the number of accounts I can afford and the number of hours in a day. Otherwise, I think most of the pirate factions, Amarr, Minnie, maybe caldari would be a ton of fun. Really can't see myself getting into Gellente, except perhaps with the intaki folks.

So yeah... really no loyalty to any faction IC or OOC, although I'm developing a real soft spot for the Serps the more I play with them.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2011, 21:35 »

I have a Cartel jolly roger as my desktop background, how's that for loyalty?  :yar:
The Guristas Associates tattoo on the small of my back, Guristas skull on my right hip, and both Korako Kosakami and Jirai Laitanen's names tatooed in Japanese on my shoulder. <_<

I have 3 cartel desktops that I alternate between.(looking for a fourth just so I can have one for every week of the month if anyone knows of any good ones  :D)

I have considered, and it still goes through my mind of getting a Cartel logo tattoo between my shoulder blades, but haven't completely settled on a design so not sure if I ever will.(I'm really indescisive about these things)

As for Embers loyalties they break down something like this.

1 - Angel Cartel
2 - Naraka. Alliance
3 - The other Cartel groups
4 - The Serpentis aligned groups

That's pretty much it. Ember still has a soft spot for those she has served with in the past as well as the State as a whole, but those four groups are pretty much the only people she won't shoot. Everyone else is either an asset to be used or an enemy.

OOCly I like alot of the different factions and could probably RP for most of them, but I think no matter what faction I do RP on any other characters I may eventually make I will always find myself returning to the Cartel.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 21:40 by Ember Vykos »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2011, 23:00 »

Originally when I created what would become Jesmine, I had a bit of a problem.

I, the player, like the Federation. I like their lore, the design quirks on their ships, stations, their weapons, their combat-styles, their stirring-pot culture(s), their ideals, the politics, the way they structure their little covenant of nations, their whole cause and the promises it can hold and the richness it can go to in RP, and I think it's sad that there are not as many who delve deeper into this than there are.

But, ultimately, what I like the most about the Federation is their duality; on one hand you have everything the Federation strives to be and tries to uphold – on the other, the side-effects of that struggle and what effect it has on them. The Federation is bad-ass, and frankly the arrival of FW added much needed visibility to their darker sides. The Federation is not perfect and never will be, but the constant struggle for that state of perfection interest me, along with the people who are part of that and all the different avenues of RP it can create for the players.

So, given this fact, I was worried how I was going to manage a pro-Empire Amarrian religiously convinced in her cause, instead of idealistically and culturally convinced as my only other two toons at the time was. It wasn't that big a problem in the end.

Must like the Federation, the Empire is also very dual in nature. They have everything they strive to reach – that divine goal that they aspire to share with everyone. Then there is the side-effects of that, and much like the Federation it's causing problems for them. Sometimes big problems. People simply don't build gigantic fleets for centuries to get to you, if everything is totally fine.

The fact is, the Empire and Federation have opposite problems in regards to how players view them; they have different ideals for how to do it, but both want what is “best” for humanity. The Federations darker side is hard to spot for most shallow* players, while the Empire's brighter side is the one hard to spot for most players, or so it seems.

*Most who merely glance at the Fed as a RP possibility fail to notice the darker sides to this faction, or simply don't think that playing to them is very interesting. On the other hand, for the Empire many seem to miss the brighter sides to the Amarr Empire in favor of the word SLAVERS printed on every surface of their image. I suspect a good reason the Empire seem to have more players is due the fact a theocratic 'evil' Empire is ultimately a lot cooler than a 'goodie-two-shoes' Federation. Once most players delve deeper in Amarr RP they can notice the nicer sides to it; there are no super-religious feudal-system states on this planet but Federation's are not that hard to find. Thus the Empire is more 'exotic', and there are fewer people who will delve deeper into Fed-RP than those who will look over Empire-RP.

I am however, getting slightly off topic here.

Alexander Kamyú Allisieer, is a Federal Intaki – an Assembly citizen and a patriot. He is ultimately loyal to the Federation so long as the Assembly is part of it; an extension of one's loyalty, if you will. Before that, he cares for his closest associates so long as they remain part of or don't conflict with, the Federation. Before the Assembly he's loyal to his family and closest friends.

Arivana Faersto, is one of Alex's oldest friends and have stuck with him for this long. Her loyalty is more directly tied with the Federation itself, not really having much of a home. Her friend(s) and associates before that however, so long as they remain friendly or at least neutral with the Federation.

Jesmine Aerim Kyriel, is an Imperial Holder and a religious Amarrian who take her responsibility seriously; the one she was entrusted with from God. She will support the cause of God and follow his will to the point where she's willing to continue her support for her House, no matter how small It may be or it's political and/or social status. She firmly believes that if the light of God is to reach everyone without the Empire being destroyed or destroying itself then there must be peace. Combine with this the fact she views slavery to be an extremely ineffective method of converting non-believers and you have a very disliked lord among hard-liners. Jesmine is willing to do anything it takes to bring the Empire to a position where it actually serve it's divinely appointed purpose, even if she one day may have to go up against it to do so.

As such... my 'factional loyalty' at this point is divided, about 60-40 between Federation and Empire, but it ultimately depend what character I play with at the time and what they decide to do. What is extremely unlikely however, is any sudden face-heel-turns and defections to other factions...

Ethan has pretty simple loyalties :

1) Selfless loyalty to Kyoko Sakoda, he'd happily be permanently be killed to ensure she was safe.
2) Veto Corp, in which he always acts for the betterment of the corporation, over any one person.
3) The Guristas, who's cause he will support until the bitter end.

That is very interesting. I don't think I will ever have any toons ask Verone out IC, so I'll ask here: Is there a spesific reason he would support the Guristas no matter what? Why exactly the Guriasta, why not any other faction?

Also, how did he come to ditch the Fed to begin with? He could in theory ended up being loyal to Kyoko in a version of Veto loyal to the Fed or any other faction, for that matter. If only her and Veto count besides the Guristas, I think it's nice to know why the Guristas get that kind of comitment.

Within the Empire though, it's a bit more nuanced.

And this, for all you Amarr faction types out there, is why Rodj stays interesting despite having hewed to the same faction for God only knows how many years.

I don't quite follow. Elaborate, please?
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2011, 00:14 by BloodBird »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 11 Feb 2011, 01:40 »

Lall's priorities go along the lines of...

God
Family
Empire

At the moment Empress is the enemy, also by extension most of the Empire.
It's a tad tricky.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Raphael Saint

• I should really go back to mining
  • Wetgraver
    • Miner Inconvienences [Blog]
« Reply #39 on: 16 Feb 2011, 16:16 »

The only reason I went Amarr in the first place was because my RL friend who brought me into the game was Amarr and told me to pick them.  Things ended up working out pretty good for me, though.

After all this time, I'll always root for the Amarr OOC.

If, however, I ever wanted to switch sides, it'd be to the Federation.  I see the Ammatar and Caldari as still supporting the Empire, just less directly (and I'd *never* go Khanid), and I've shot at the Minmatar for too long to ever consider going that way.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 16 Feb 2011, 20:28 »

Interesting question.

Istvaan started out as a Caldari corporate drone in Endless Corporation. Even in that era, though, the corporation he ran wasn't exactly pro-Caldari. Too busy building mysterious quasi-stargates that opened up to nowhere, and talking with weird alien entities via apparent telepathy, I suppose.

Once the Guiding Hand Social Club era came around, Istvaan was definitely focused on himself and his closest acquaintances/Slaver hounds. Became obsessed with survival. Or unkillability. Amassing assets, in the same way a 60s era redneck might amass canned goods in his bomb shelter, fearing some yet-undefined disaster. The voice in his head doesn't talk to him often in this era, but makes itself known regardless.

Post-GHSC... well, that part of the story ain't writ just yet.

I think the highest loyalty Istvaan has, is to his Slaver hound though. Dominus first (beheaded by angry ex-employee) then Anubis. I think he'd feel less regret seeing any of his corpmates die, than seeing his Slaver die. This is based on me. It's kind of sick to admit, but my grandmother dying in my arms didn't affect me emotion-wise nearly as much as having to put down one of my dogs has in the past.

So...

1. Self / Current pet Slaver (tie)
2. GHSC

Must say... having played the same character since day one is quite rewarding, if only to see its evolution :p

Vikarion

« Reply #41 on: 16 Feb 2011, 22:20 »

My/my character's loyalty to the State is very, very strong. It's a bit of my loyalty, too, since I dislike the idea of playing multiple sides. RPing different sides feels a bit like...betraying my fellow Caldari RPers, at least to me. I don't believe I'll ever leave Caldari RP or even Caldari FW.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #42 on: 17 Feb 2011, 11:52 »

When I announced the foundation of the ILF the general response from the IGS crowd was "What another Intaki group? How many of these are there now?" In truth, there were two active at the time, but neither matched my vision.

In the four years since, I have invested countless hours both in-game and out to developing that vision and it has largely been at the expense of even learning peripherally about the other factions. I know a lot about the Federation and a bit about the Caldari, but mostly only about how they relate to the Intaki cause. What I know about the Ammar, Khanid, Minmatar etc, could probably fit in a Tweet.

Saxon lives and breathes Intaki sepratism and quite frankly not a day goes by that I don't think about it myself, even if I can only log in and play Eve once a week. For me there could never be a faction to take the place of Intaki separatism.

The great irony is that if CCP did break off the Intaki into their own nation, I'm not sure what I'd do. Saxon the character would be ready to retire and enjoy a quiet life of reflection with his family.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2011, 11:36 by Saxon Hawke »

Major JSilva

« Reply #43 on: 18 Feb 2011, 05:59 »

1.Friends
2.Money/Friendly PMC's(You know you screw one merc over you screw all the mercs over)
3.Caldari Navy
4.Ishukone
5.The State

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #44 on: 18 Feb 2011, 10:09 »

I think I'll agree with KJLLV and that OOC loyalties to a faction is also alien. My effort into developing the Federation is only as far as a creative endeavour, hobbyist, etc.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5