Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers resurfaced in YC106 to protest the monopoly then held by the empires on deadspace warp beacon technology.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Sexism in Gaming  (Read 11719 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Sexism in Gaming
« Reply #75 on: 04 Feb 2014, 14:28 »

@ Lyn Farel: Given your answer to the 4th question I'd point out something regarding Anita Sarkeesian, but I already did that in the tread about equality so if you want to respond re. A. Sarkeesian that's the place to do so.

I'm not even going to get bogged down into the main thread/argument because honestly, I don't want to start an endless drama. I believe in what she says, and strongly agree with most of what she points out, and that both as a gamer and as a game developer myself. I also happen to believe that the con artists are the people campaigning against her on the internet. I have watched tons of videos of counter criticism directed at her, and most of them are just wretched losers trying to speak at her level and using so many sophisms and bad faith that it's just nauseous.

I just am unable to understand why people take issue with her. She talks perfect common sense to me.

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #76 on: 04 Feb 2014, 18:09 »

No one is going to answer that questionnaire with anything other than socially acceptable responses.

1. What is your opinion on girl gamers?
Some are rancid mentally challenged cunts

:D

(I know I cut the quote short, so it's wilful misrepresentation, but it was more lolzy that way  :P)

Quote from: purple on 26 Jan 2014, 09:15
The questions are clearly geared toward misogyny, not sexism in it's totality.   The tone seems to presuppose sexism only goes one way.  Even if not intentially malicious such presuppositions could be considered a subtle and perhaps even subconcious form of misandristic sexism.

This. The questions are slanted in favor of only one gender by the way it asks about sexism and female gamers specifically.

You're losing me a bit here.

You might be correct by the thread title ('sexism in gaming' can indeed refer to either sex) but the OP specifically states  "A friend of mine is doing research on women and sexism within gaming as part of her English course." That's why the questions are slanted and the tone presupposes - it's the topic of a paper.

As an analogy, I was reading the other day someone accusing people arguing for reproductive rights of being transphobic because they used the word 'vagina'.  Apparently this presupposed that all women would have vaginas, thus (subconsciously or otherwise) writing out people identifying as women who didn't have one.  That's a fine point in general, but not really when reproductive rights is the specific issue.

Likewise, when it's specifically looking at women and sexism within gaming, that's probably what the questionnaire is going to be asking about.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #77 on: 04 Feb 2014, 18:16 »

@ Lyn Farel: Given your answer to the 4th question I'd point out something regarding Anita Sarkeesian, but I already did that in the tread about equality so if you want to respond re. A. Sarkeesian that's the place to do so.

I'm not even going to get bogged down into the main thread/argument because honestly, I don't want to start an endless drama. I believe in what she says, and strongly agree with most of what she points out, and that both as a gamer and as a game developer myself. I also happen to believe that the con artists are the people campaigning against her on the internet. I have watched tons of videos of counter criticism directed at her, and most of them are just wretched losers trying to speak at her level and using so many sophisms and bad faith that it's just nauseous.

I just am unable to understand why people take issue with her. She talks perfect common sense to me.

Your opinion has been noted.

As has your inability to even speak of her detractors and opponent in any kind of respectful manner. Because it is obvious you have no interest in conversation on this matter I will leave this be and not mention it again, especially not here.

Have a great day Lyn.

This. The questions are slanted in favor of only one gender by the way it asks about sexism and female gamers specifically.

You're losing me a bit here.

What I mean is that the way the request for answers to the questions and the questions themselves are presented, it give off the impression that sexism in games only go one way, male->female, and that this is not something I feel very much interest in answering, because no matter what the answers are, it's not a gender-neutral questionnaire and so the results will be slanted one way no matter what you do, by design. Now, if the OP's friend was the one that wanted it this way or someone else laid out what questions were to be asked (and IIRC they did dictate the topic she needs the questions for) is irrelevant to my perception on the purpose of asking the questions to begin with.

In short, I simply feel the questionnaire is dishonest in it's intentions and I don't feel very compelled to answer, even if I do have opinions I can lay out in my answers.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 18:24 by BloodBird »

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #78 on: 04 Feb 2014, 18:46 »

A friend of mine is doing research on women and sexism within gaming as part of her English course

Given that, how is the questionnaire dishonest in it's intentions?  :|

Agreed it's not gender neutral (and is in many ways ambiguously or awkwardly worded - questionnaires are tricky things!) it also tends to presuppose men are answering the questionnaire about women (which is ironic!). But again, I don't see it as dishonest.

Confused also how the purpose of the questionnaire is irrelevant to your perception of the purpose of asking the questions.  As in, you believe the answers are being used for something other than the stated purpose?

edit: Or that you feel they're leading questions which will slant the answers in a particular direction thus biasing the data?
(though I figure for an English paper it's not going to be 'hard' research here, but more the subjective anecdotal kind)
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 19:00 by Kala »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #79 on: 04 Feb 2014, 20:08 »

edit: Or that you feel they're leading questions which will slant the answers in a particular direction thus biasing the data?
(though I figure for an English paper it's not going to be 'hard' research here, but more the subjective anecdotal kind)

Mostly this. I just got the impression the questions were loaded to get a predictable series of results. I could be wrong on this, obviously, but I can't much change my impressions on things.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #80 on: 05 Feb 2014, 15:53 »

You can perfectly answer positively or negatively to each question. That might not be politically correct for some cases, but then it's not the questionnaire's fault but rather political correctness.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #81 on: 05 Mar 2014, 12:05 »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]