Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The CBD megacorporation is a major importer/exporter in the State?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: [Language] Napanii (Caldari bloc)  (Read 43478 times)

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
  • "I cannot live without books"
    • Chronicles of EVE
Re: [Language] Napanii (Caldari bloc)
« Reply #105 on: 30 Aug 2010, 15:43 »

Silver:

Is this a suffix/root that should be added to the glossary and primer?

Art

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #106 on: 30 Aug 2010, 15:56 »

Probably. You should talk to someone who uses it and stuff to get a better opinion on what the meaning and context usually is.

I've seen it used when addressing pirates, for example. (Rather than -han etc)

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #107 on: 30 Aug 2010, 16:25 »

Sounds good. I'll confirm with Ken; or wait to see any other posts to that effect.

Thanks.

Art

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #108 on: 30 Aug 2010, 21:50 »

I've browsed the last version of the Primer looking for the -guri suffix to no avail... Anyone that can enlighten me about the meaning of the -guri suffix? Thanks in Advance!
I started using it in relation to "honorable" pirates of Caldari origin like "Jenneth-guri" and "Sakoda-guri."  It was taking the "naughty" and making it a suffix for those who are no longer -haani, but still are very much Caldari.

I got backlash for referring to Sakoda using the term in Heiian College, but eh.  It is not meant as a term of disrespect (using -jagii towards another Caldari for example), but rather one of being apart from the whole, but not foreign.

Perhaps another translation of guri might be wandering along with naughty.  Those who were naughty being caste out into the wilds to wander in ages past.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #109 on: 30 Aug 2010, 23:00 »

If it's being used, tepid reactions from the mainstream aside, it ought to be included.  Languages are dynamic in their use, even government-regulated official languages.

guri n. criminal, selfish person (suffix sometimes found in use in place of -haan(i) when referring to a rival or enemy (especially of the Caldari criminal underbelly) who is or once was a fellow Caldari citizen as in Sakoda-guri, the term literally implies the modified subject has acted selfishly or strayed from the group in a serious way, but remains worthy of some respect and is perhaps still redeemable through sufficient trial, see: Tea Maker Ceremony)

I think I may have a few more new terms forthcoming in a little while.  Thanks for bringing this up, April.

Edit: modified per Aria's observations
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2010, 01:14 by Ken »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #110 on: 31 Aug 2010, 00:46 »

Hm. A point that your definition skirts the edge of, Ken, is that "guri," as described in the Guristas history, seems to mean "naughty person," as in, "criminal," more than "adversary." The distinction becomes important when you're talking about, say, a business rival you feel has strayed from proper behavior. Calling someone like that "guri" would probably be flat-out slanderous. Likewise, criminals, even in Caldari culture, need not always be adversaries; see, for example, the Japanese Yakuza distributing supplies after a major earthquake.

IE, I'd suggest that it be used specifically as a title for members of the criminal underbelly of Caldari society-- "adversary" or not.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #111 on: 31 Aug 2010, 01:11 »

Aria, appreciated and re-defined.

---------

Additionally, I have the following new terms and phrases to add to the lexicon.  Art, if you get a moment please add them to the primer?

ojikuu adj. self-sufficient (root: ojik- autonomy; one of the highest Caldari virtues from ancient times and a great compliment to an organization, when used to refer to an individual it means "humble" or more precisely "asking for nothing beyond his/her basic needs")

ojikone n. autonomy (root: ojik- autonomy)

vuraa imeit n. the long view (lit: "old eyes"; meaning to make short term sacrifices for long term benefits)

inukuu imeit n. the short view (lit: "young eyes"; favoring short term gains over long term prosperity)

inukuu adj. young (root: inuk- young)

inukone n. youth (root: inuk- young)

imei n. eye

estreikkone n. strategy, plan of action (root: estreik- plan)

estreiki v. to strategize, make plans (root: estreik- plan)

ajuutaska n. arcology (an enormous, self-contained urban structure)

anvakone n. stability (root: anvak- stable, even)

tekkotusone n. efficiency (root: tekkotus- efficient)

haakken kilen phr. we will return (an ancient Napanii expression and the preferred modern rendering of the last words of Admiral Yakiya Tovil-Toba)

saakanui v./n. to flow with clarity, the flow of wisdom (an ancient Napanii expression)

tuvoi v. to be/stand strong (root: tuvo- strength)

tuvon adj. strong (root: tuvo- strength; irregular adjectival stem)

tobai v. to fly, to operate an air or spacecraft (root: toba- flight)

tobaone n. flight (root: toba- flight; in military flight also means "sortie")

nokoni conj. as, as _ as (correlative expression followed by an adjective or adverb to convey a equal (or unequal) level with the following noun; as in nokoni hova "as good as", nokoni vuraa "as old as", or do nokoni anvakuu "not as stable as")

ark tuvon hova marut phr. two good strong ships (memorable quote of Admiral Yakia Tovil-Toba, answered with do nokoni tuvon tobaya oyiitdei hantat; often said by the senior officer present upon the dedication of a new ship, especially in the Caldari Navy, regardless of the number of vessels being launched, with the reply being spoken by the shipyard director; sometimes called "the warrior's words")

do nokoni tuvon tobaya oyiitdei hantat phr. not as strong as the men that will fly them (second part of a pair of quotes by Admiral Yakiya Tovil-Toba and Kaalakiota founder Kaatoni Surei, the answer to ark tuvon hova marut; sometimes called "the engineer's words")
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2010, 03:24 by Ken »

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #112 on: 31 Aug 2010, 04:49 »

Ken/all -

Sounds good; on my way to work, but when I get there, I'll have about half an hour of free time, so I'll add it then. I'll post an update here when it's all done.

Thanks.

Art

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #113 on: 31 Aug 2010, 07:54 »

Saisieni:

The glossaries have been updated with the new words and is available for download (in both MS Excel or OO Calc format):

http://www.evechronicles.com/apocryphal/shorts/napr/napr6.html

Thanks.

Art

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #114 on: 11 Sep 2010, 09:35 »

Just to prove the Napanii project yet lives and grows I'd like to post up a new font face for use in your oh-so-Caldari writings.  

Napanii Brush gives the impression of handwritten text that is still very readable, showing the separate strokes in each letter and giving us the handwritten versions of numbers 5-9.

As a bonus, the lowercase "b, c, d, e, f, g, h & j" characters produce the pseudocalligraphic symbols for the races of the pre-war Federation as imagined by Civire artist Aatos Zakai as well as the Caldari State symbol rendered in the same style.  You can see these in the preview below: Caldari, Civire, Deteis, Achura, Intaki, Gallente, Jin-Mei, and Mannar.

^ small error in the image you see there; when using the font, the letter for "aa" has an additional stroke above it that is not visible in the preview because I hit the wrong key  :oops:

You can find the font attached to this post as a .ttf file.  Edit: And Art has caught this and put it up on Chronicles of EVE for you as well.  ;)  Enjoy!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2010, 22:31 by Ken »

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #115 on: 11 Sep 2010, 11:21 »

Ken:

You are amazing. That Napanii Brush looks incredible.

Sadly, I've been so busy with the Intaki project that I haven't been able to work much on Napanii, so I'm glad to see more being done with it.

Unfortunately I'm not at my computer, and won't be until later tonight, but when I am I'll update the Resources page of the Primer posted over on my site.

Thanks.

Art

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #116 on: 11 Sep 2010, 11:52 »

Great work! All we need now is for someone who happen to know the language to make something like this based on French, hindu  and Spanish for the Federals. French for obvious reasons, Spanish because I believed I heard it said somewhere the Mannar is likely more 'spanish like' (I have no clue of this is accurate or not) and hindu for the Intaki. That is, in order to generate some kind of 'common tongue' for the Federation - with all those different societies and languages having one that 90% of everyone can speak would be wise. Unless ofc 'Gallentian' is the prime one or everyone just go around with their own.

I believe I heard a rumor a year or so ago that someone tried something like this for Amarr too? Or was it Minmatar... I dunno, long time ago. Even if it's only a nice set of words and phrases having something like this for the separate factions would be great.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #117 on: 11 Sep 2010, 12:31 »

Spanish because I believed I heard it said somewhere the Mannar is likely more 'spanish like' (I have no clue of this is accurate or not)
A scanned note in the Art of EVE book has a picture of a Mannar lady, with a few comments scribbled in the margin. One of these, iirc, is "Hispanic?"

It's about how they look, not their culture.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #118 on: 11 Sep 2010, 15:27 »

Yes, and one of the reasons that people consider the Intaki more hindu-like are some accessory options under character creation, as well as the cultural aspects shown so far.

Artabanus

• One of Three
  • Wetgraver
    • Chronicles of EVE
« Reply #119 on: 11 Sep 2010, 18:12 »

Saisieni all:

The beautiful new Napanii Brush font has now been added to the Primer Resource page over at Chronicles of EVE for your download pleasure:

http://www.evechronicles.com/apocryphal/shorts/napr/napr6.html

Enjoy!

Rikaato,

Art
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11