Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That one of the primary exports of the Amarrian Theology Council is booze? (Theology Council in-game info, Market Activity tab).

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: US/German spy 'scandal'  (Read 12077 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: US/German spy 'scandal'
« Reply #90 on: 18 Jul 2014, 06:16 »

No, though reading the statement "i'll be cruel and stating facts that the American training and equipment were superior" made me itch a bit...

Vikarion

« Reply #91 on: 18 Jul 2014, 08:04 »

No, though reading the statement "i'll be cruel and stating facts that the American training and equipment were superior" made me itch a bit...

Oh. Well, that's a bit of an odd way to phrase it, I know. I should elaborate. I've been active on boards and in discussions where I've had to put up with "Euro-perfectionists" who believe that the U.S. has never ever won a war and everything it builds is shitty, as well as Nazi-tech apologists who believe that the only reason "Glorious Fatherland Reich" lost the war was because we and the Soviets each had 15 tanks for every one of theirs and the each Panthers killed 22 of them anyway and etc. Popping their bubbles can be a little, well, mean.

I could see how that might be offensive, though. I'll edit it after work today, alright?

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #92 on: 18 Jul 2014, 08:28 »

Nobody really gives a fuck one away or the other outside Germany. Not at this moment. Seriously.

Israeli Jews are taking page from the 3rd Reich playbook and going for some genocide on the Palestinians. Russian endorsed "separatists" drop civilian planes out of the sky over Ukraine. There's bigger problems afoot than some hurt prides over some spy incident. Get over it.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #93 on: 18 Jul 2014, 09:03 »

Nobody really gives a fuck one away or the other outside Germany. Not at this moment. Seriously.

Israeli Jews are taking page from the 3rd Reich playbook and going for some genocide on the Palestinians. Russian endorsed "separatists" drop civilian planes out of the sky over Ukraine. There's bigger problems afoot than some hurt prides over some spy incident. Get over it.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #94 on: 18 Jul 2014, 09:35 »

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #95 on: 18 Jul 2014, 09:40 »

I think we may be deviating.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Lyn Farel

« Reply #96 on: 18 Jul 2014, 10:04 »

Oh. Well, that's a bit of an odd way to phrase it, I know. I should elaborate. I've been active on boards and in discussions where I've had to put up with "Euro-perfectionists" who believe that the U.S. has never ever won a war and everything it builds is shitty, as well as Nazi-tech apologists who believe that the only reason "Glorious Fatherland Reich" lost the war was because we and the Soviets each had 15 tanks for every one of theirs and the each Panthers killed 22 of them anyway and etc. Popping their bubbles can be a little, well, mean.

I could see how that might be offensive, though. I'll edit it after work today, alright?

Well it seems that we both have faced the kind of writings that makes us word a bit on the other extreme out of frustration. Don't worry as long as I understood what you tried to achieve it's ok. =)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #97 on: 18 Jul 2014, 15:07 »

I think, maybe, one of the issues about this spy scandal is what was reported to be happening.

What I recall hearing about, was that quite a low ranking German official was just handing classified documents to their CIA contact.

So it's might be more of a "If you're going to spy on us and get caught, at least try to make it look like it took some effort" thing. So that if the CIA are caught spying, they're caught doing something that makes it look like they had to expend a bit of effort. Also, make it look like the German agencies are competent, and so on.

The whole thing about getting caught spying on your allies, is that it makes both of you look bad, in front of everyone.
\o/

Desiderya

« Reply #98 on: 18 Jul 2014, 15:26 »

A) This thread started before the Gaza escalation and before the shot plane. Get over it.
B) Why are you saying Israeli jews, not israeli or just jews. Plain "The Jews" too antisemitic for this forum, so you're trying to break it down a bit to make it sound more acceptable?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #99 on: 18 Jul 2014, 15:51 »

B) Why are you saying Israeli jews, not israeli or just jews. Plain "The Jews" too antisemitic for this forum, so you're trying to break it down a bit to make it sound more acceptable?

There are non-jewish people in Israel.  There are non Israeli jews.

Seems pretty specific and accurate to me.

And calling a specific group of people out for exploding women children with alarming regularity at slow pace for decades is not 'anti Semitic.'  It does however deserve a thread split.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #100 on: 18 Jul 2014, 16:45 »

I think, maybe, one of the issues about this spy scandal is what was reported to be happening.

What I recall hearing about, was that quite a low ranking German official was just handing classified documents to their CIA contact.

So it's might be more of a "If you're going to spy on us and get caught, at least try to make it look like it took some effort" thing. So that if the CIA are caught spying, they're caught doing something that makes it look like they had to expend a bit of effort. Also, make it look like the German agencies are competent, and so on.

The whole thing about getting caught spying on your allies, is that it makes both of you look bad, in front of everyone.

That's a lot like I see it, in regard to where 'spying' on allies is kinda 'justifiable' as 'necessary business'. Don't be an amateur about it, don't expect the ones you spy on in such a fashion to cover up for you if you fuck up.
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2014, 16:50 by Nicoletta Mithra »

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #101 on: 18 Jul 2014, 16:47 »

The non jewish Israeli take part in the Gaza actions as well. One should be allowed to ask why they get spared of the 3rd Reich allegation... <,<

Desiderya

« Reply #102 on: 18 Jul 2014, 17:03 »

And calling a specific group of people out for exploding women children with alarming regularity at slow pace for decades is not 'anti Semitic.'  It does however deserve a thread split.

Citizenship doesn't equal religious affiliation. Apart from that there's this tendency to use ye olde fashioned and well trusted ressentiments to make it socially acceptable. Sprinkling deeply polemic arguments on top doesn't really help your case.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #103 on: 18 Jul 2014, 20:34 »

[mod]Thread mostly derailed, and also see the sticky for this forum section regarding political/religious/etc topics.[/mod]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]