Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Jin-Mei homeworlds of Lirsautton III and V are called Chakaux and Chandeille respectively?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Enemy Unknown  (Read 8786 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Enemy Unknown
« on: 02 May 2012, 14:35 »

Looks like X-COM (which you may know as "UFO Defense" or "UFO: Enemy Unknown") is set for a rebirth in the not-too-distant future (Q3 2012).  Very exciting!  Along with SimCity, the original X-COM was one of my first big, meaningful PC gaming experiences.  Who else played this series back in the day?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Enemy Unknown
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2012, 15:37 »

X-Com! wewt.

those programmable rockets were hilarious. Also deadly.

So were grenades. wahey, alien grenade, set to detonate immediately, time to throw... whoops, missed.
\o/

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2012, 21:28 »

In preparation, I've been playing the original, along with remake 'Xenonauts'.

I'm extremely pumped, as well as hopeful about anything coming from the House of Sid Meier.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2012, 11:50 »

THey better not fuck it up, there was a competing product... trying to find it... http://www.xenonauts.com/ it looks like it is still under development, but no release date, on the upside, looking at the news section it looks like they are still releasing builds so possibly worth it to pre-order for access to "beta"

I'm not holding up high hopes either way, since the original game is still so amazing. I think I still have it on steam...
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2012, 15:42 »

THey better not fuck it up, there was a competing product... trying to find it... http://www.xenonauts.com/ it looks like it is still under development, but no release date, on the upside, looking at the news section it looks like they are still releasing builds so possibly worth it to pre-order for access to "beta"

I'm not holding up high hopes either way, since the original game is still so amazing. I think I still have it on steam...

Yea, Xenonauts is in the same vein, but it has a different aesthetic than the Firaxis remake (the former is supposed to have a vaguely 1970s feel, while the latter appears to be going for a action-hero/classic style).  Neither of those should be confused for the FPS title simply called "X-COM" that's still forthcoming from 2K Marin (which has a retro 1950s feel).  I'm honestly thrilled that this series is receiving the attention of three separate development teams.  One of them is bound to get it just right, and chances are all three games will at least be fun to play.  There's also a neat indie title called Project Zomboid that's been slowly growing for a while that has a similar feel to the original X-COM games, but it's about surviving a zombie apocalypse.  Might be worth checking out if you're a fan of classic X-COM.

Edit: Here are some great RPS articles on Enemy Unknown.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2012, 16:39 by Ken »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2012, 17:29 »

I have Xenonauts, ask me what you want.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2012, 02:21 »

Who are you, and how did you get in here?
\o/

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2012, 02:52 »

Where is John Conner?
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2012, 15:13 »

Is it funs?  :)
Does it hold up to the original well?

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2012, 01:20 »

It's close, but needs a lot of tweakage.

The difficulty on the ground, and the 'terror' factor isn't there, but the 'overworld' mechanics are quite solid (the interceptor game is quite nice actually).

A lot of the ground problems are due to the alpha state, and the fact that there are only 2 real maps, and things aren't randomly generated yet, so your doing the same mission a hundred times, but that's what you get for testing an alpha.

They made the decision early on to set the game in the 1970's, making f-16s and old MiGs the 'top of the line' tech. It also makes your guys in their armor look dopey (as most stuff in the '70's was). It's an artistic choice, and as much as I try to cope and deal with it, I still don't like it.

Still, a lot of the combat mechanics are a lot less clunky than the original game, while still holding true to TimeUnits and such. That by itself inspires me to fire it up and play.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2012, 01:24 by Graelyn »

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2012, 09:07 »

Hrm, well I hope they tweak it so the difficulty and terror factors are there, as that's quite a big draw for me - as well as being a huge source of frustration as I rage and swear at the unfairness of it all as the aliens can apparently see (and shoot) me from further away than I can see them  :evil:

I like that this is keeping time units and stuff, as the firaxis remake (or 'reimagining' if you wish) is more of a departure from the original mechanics (which is fine too, but I am nostalgic).

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2012, 17:57 »

Just played through the XCOM Enemy Unknown demo, which is available on Steam.  You don't see a lot of content in the demo.  It's really just a tutorial mission on rails followed by a very simple counterabduction hit, but it shows off the fucking awesome base, happily murders your troopers, and forces you to deploy to aid either the US or China but not both--pretty much covering all the classic themes of the original.  I am pre-ordering.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2012, 21:47 »

Oh shit!

DEMOOOOO

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 26 Sep 2012, 02:27 »

Oh goodie, a demo.

(Already pre-ordered.)
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5