Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Frentix is a principle drug booster of Sansha's Nation?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Cause and Effect  (Read 14184 times)

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
Re: Cause and Effect
« Reply #30 on: 05 Feb 2012, 05:45 »

[spoiler]We're all gonna get eaten by bugs, because I let the Rachni queen go. That was one of the most excruciating decisions I've ever made in a game. I sat there for five minutes staring at the screen, with Wrex on one side, telling me to press the butan, and Ash on the other saying the extinction of a species is a terrible thing to have on one's conscience. I actually pressed the 'kill it with acid!' button the first time, but then it made that one final plea and my brain went arglebargleblargpop. I think my Shep must be a Buddhist or something, doesn't want to get reincarnated into a bug himself and get squished for doing something like that. If it were me, I probably would've pressed the button as fast as I could reach it.[/spoiler]

Counter point from my Shep's perspective:

[spoiler]You're right, Liara.  The extermination of a species is a terrible thing to have on one's conscience.  Nice to see that you're agreeing with me and Wrex on this.

No way am I going to let this bitch live.   The Krogan got screwed by idiots like you over after the last Rachni War.  As a result, there's not going to be enough of them around to use as cannon fodder if the bugs come back ... and I'd really not see my species get exterminated while trying to save your asses.[/spoiler]

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #31 on: 12 Feb 2012, 16:46 »

Updated.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2012, 17:46 »

Mother of God...

Why anyone'd bother playing MaleShep as a main is beyond me. Jennifer Hale delivers such immensely superior voice acting.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2012, 10:36 »

Femshep reminds me too much of Alice from the Resi Evil series, also Maleshep feels somewhat more believable when playing a thuggish brute style Renegade.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2012, 11:42 »

Femshep romances are less interesting imho. And I usually prefer to play my usual Alliance posterboy (not the generic one). :3

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #35 on: 19 Feb 2012, 11:47 »

Mother of God...

Why anyone'd bother playing MaleShep as a main is beyond me. Jennifer Hale delivers such immensely superior voice acting.

Because no one likes the baited hook that is the FemShep campaign.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2012, 11:50 »

Femshep romances are less interesting imho. And I usually prefer to play my usual Alliance posterboy (not the generic one). :3

This.  I tried to play a female character.  The dialogue and choices didnt seem to translate well to me.  I felt I was playing a MaleShep in a FemShep's body (not being sarcastic). 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #37 on: 19 Feb 2012, 14:35 »

None of my play-throughs of ME or ME2 ever involved any romance, at all. I've not even bothered to roll a maleShep for the sake of romancing a woman none ever see, and I like said woman very, very much.

So all my play-throughs end up as love-less Femsheps partially due to the nature of horrible voice acting (compared to Jennifer Hale) and partially due the nature of the situation - either a mostly by-the-book paragon Shep or the more likely love-is-a-weakness-to-me mostly-renegade shep who wastes no time being brutal, cruel and unforgiving to all but close allies. I love the idea of a 'thuggish brute style' renegade being a woman - no-one ever see it coming and everyone underestimates her, as if everyone were sad, heads-stuck-in-the-1970's wannabe-men who think with their cocks or not at all.

Made up my mind. I'll resurrect my lost renegade Femshep play-through before ME3 and make the universe an emptier, crueler place to be. I might even share this boring tale in a log here. Who knows.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #38 on: 19 Feb 2012, 14:52 »

None of my play-throughs of ME or ME2 ever involved any romance, at all. I've not even bothered to roll a maleShep for the sake of romancing a woman none ever see, and I like said woman very, very much.

I have never played a maleShep just for the sake of virtually getting laid with a NPC...

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2012, 18:44 »

I think that the fact that there is romance in a game like this is kind of sad.

Especially as a lauded feature and as something seen as the epitome of a game being an RPG.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #40 on: 20 Feb 2012, 00:07 »

I have never played a maleShep just for the sake of virtually getting laid with a NPC...

And neither have I. However the fact that Tali is one of the romance options for maleShep was to me, a bit weird and a bit tempting at the same time - Think about it - Quarians can't even spend time with each other without suits because their immune systems can barely handle it when they are synchronized together in a contained environment, so how the hell do they practically romance anyone else?

While I'm not sure on the details atm (don't recall all of it anymore, been a while since I played ME/ME2) it's an interesting question. And Tali is a bad-ass character that puts Krogan to shame - Charging into battle with a shotgun when suit-rupture is more hazardous to you than most other factors? Bad-ass, and a bit suicidal.

So because I like her character, rolling a maleShep to see how the romance option goes is always mildly tempting, also due the fact any romancing adds more variables to the 'what did you do and how did it turn out' part of the game. It hasn't happened yet for a variety of reasons, one of them being, that I agree on Lallara's opinion.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #41 on: 20 Feb 2012, 01:46 »

I think that the fact that there is romance in a game like this is kind of sad.

Especially as a lauded feature and as something seen as the epitome of a game being an RPG.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone refer to the romances as neither lauded features nor indicators of RPG epitomes.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 20 Feb 2012, 01:50 »

Then why are they referred to as lynchpin aspects of the character?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #43 on: 20 Feb 2012, 02:30 »

I tried to play a female character.  The dialogue and choices didnt seem to translate well to me.  I felt I was playing a MaleShep in a FemShep's body (not being sarcastic).

I had the opposite experience.  I tried playing a male character, but the dialogue and choices didn't seem to translate well to me.  Not that they're 100% for me as a female character either (e.g. the ME1 choices around Liara's rooting around in Shep's brain squicked me, and there was nothing in ME2 where Shep could say "why are you all crazy ass stalker hunting down my dead body and shit?  can't you get that I'm just not interested in you?").

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 20 Feb 2012, 04:37 »

Then why are they referred to as lynchpin aspects of the character?

Where? By who?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8