Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small robots called "cleaner bugs" are used to keep space station areas free of refuse? (The Burning Life p. 74)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Bin Laden bites the bullet  (Read 10547 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: Bin Laden bites the bullet
« Reply #60 on: 02 May 2011, 22:00 »

Call it paranoia.
You're paranoid.  The Council helped fund this project.  They have a right to send someone to keep an eye on their investment.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2011, 22:03 by Ken »

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #61 on: 02 May 2011, 22:58 »

Relief, but I find the way his death is being celebrated in some areas rather distasteful.

QFT

Quote from: Martin Luther King Jr
‎ I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.

I know this has been doing the rounds the last few words, but I found it relevant.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #62 on: 03 May 2011, 01:50 »

For that, you are waiting on ... which authority?

The U.S. gov't. claims it was ObL, with DNA verification. No national authority I'm aware of, friend or foe, is claiming otherwise. The body has been dumped. For whatever reason (likely to avoid some kinda ugly spectacles), no photos have been released.

From the sounds of things, they're as certain as they can be; the administration has now staked its credibility on the truth of its claim. Unless you believe the conspiracy theorists, in which case I humbly submit that nothing will ever convince you, this looks to be as sure as it gets.

Well, the US have a history of getting the wrong guy. Just look at half the people in Guantanamo vOv

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: 03 May 2011, 02:22 »

I'm waiting on "seeing is believing" authority.

I believed we had Saddam on visual evidence. When I see ObL on a slab, Guevara-style, I'll believe it.

That, you won't.

The body's been deep-sixed in the most literal sense-- dropped into the ocean in a weighted coffin that's built to leak. There's some argument over the reasons (and some muslims are apparently offended), but it seems to boil down to not wanting his grave site to become a shrine-- and, though this remains unsaid, probably also not wanting to spend years arguing with various persons over where he should be buried.

ObL sleeps with the fishes. What you'll probably (eventually) get is photographic evidence-- which, of course, might be photoshopped.

Well, the US have a history of getting the wrong guy. Just look at half the people in Guantanamo vOv

That was the product of, first, carelessness, and, second ... probably embarrassment, actually. The United States under GWB was downright allergic to any suggestion that its aim vis-a-vis capturing important suspects had gotten fuzzy; admitting to same would have been just intolerable.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #64 on: 03 May 2011, 02:41 »

Actually, I changed my mind.

That's a way more satisfying way to dispose of the bodies of such individuals.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #65 on: 03 May 2011, 06:31 »

Using the religious rites seemed as a way to one-up the Islamist extremists..."We did it your way, even though he was a bastard trolololol".

Also,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13262572 Some reactions from different New Yorkers at Ground Zero. Not sure I agree with that teenager at the beginning, probably wasn't old enough to remember [/half-sarcasm]

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #66 on: 03 May 2011, 11:00 »

I will feel an inexplicable patriotic vindication if this news turns out to be true.

For that, you are waiting on ... which authority?

The U.S. gov't. claims it was ObL, with DNA verification. No national authority I'm aware of, friend or foe, is claiming otherwise. The body has been dumped. For whatever reason (likely to avoid some kinda ugly spectacles), no photos have been released.

Indeed, the US government has a lot to lose if it is proven that there is a variance between the truth and the facts as they related them.  It would probably decide the outcome of the next US election.

I think it would be important to consider certain variables when thinking about how much weight 'no national authority is counter-claiming':

1- What is the benefit of pissing off the USA by making this counterclaim?  It is a bit of a diplomatic faux-pas to challenge the truth of an announcement very important to the world's most powerful nation.

2- Believing that the event took place as reported so far is subjective.  The evidence produced is...well, not there.

3- The information has yet to be independently verified.  Convenient that the body was disposed of within 24 hours.

4- DNA evidence? Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't that take several days to process (i.e. without a queue ahead of you, once it gets to the lab), like at least 5-10?  I don't suppose they went in and collected DNA evidence before the strike, what do you think?  If they collected it on Sunday, it would be approaching 3 days now.

Edit: Further research suggests there are methods of DNA identification that can be done within 24hrs, so I think point 4 loses strength there.

Anyway, assuming Osama bin Laden wasn't a Goldstein from 1984, as some suggest he may have been, we'll probably get a new video posted of him saying 'you got the wrong guy'...

From the sounds of things, they're as certain as they can be; the administration has now staked its credibility on the truth of its claim. Unless you believe the conspiracy theorists, in which case I humbly submit that nothing will ever convince you, this looks to be as sure as it gets.

They are not as certain as they can be.  When evidence is produced the claim becomes more believable.  The absence of counter-claims does not necessarily add to the veracity of an argument.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2011, 11:04 by scagga »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Bin Laden bites the bullethttp://i.imgur.com/KxuGl.jpg
« Reply #67 on: 03 May 2011, 11:17 »

Presumably everyone has seen by now:

But they shopped out what really happened:

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: 03 May 2011, 16:18 »

They are not as certain as they can be.

The folks responsible for the DNA tests apparently say they're 99.9% certain of his identity. That's pretty damn certain.

YOU may remain unconvinced.

But they shopped out what really happened:

Ha-- presidential SOCOM! Remote-control your very own SEAL Team 6 member!

... except, the PSN was down.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #69 on: 03 May 2011, 16:26 »

That's why they took it down. Needed to air-gap MILNET from the Internet so POTUS could go all, BOOM HEADSHOT.

In all seriousness, here's why I believe the US .gov/.mil is completely convinced they got him: if they didn't, then pretty soon he'll make some sort of appearance and totally destroy all of their credibility. The chances they'd take that risk are effectively zero. Ergo, he's dead.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #70 on: 03 May 2011, 16:31 »

No, don't you see? He never existed in the first place!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #71 on: 03 May 2011, 16:39 »

you just blew my mind

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #72 on: 03 May 2011, 18:02 »

They are not as certain as they can be.

The folks responsible for the DNA tests apparently say they're 99.9% certain of his identity. That's pretty damn certain.

YOU may remain unconvinced.

I'd probably be more convinced if the source was independent.  To immediately trust the information you are given because it is given is not the approach I take.  I view it as important to verify within what bounds one practicably can.

At this stage I lean more towards the truth of the message, but it is not possible to discount doubt is 'baseless'. 

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #73 on: 03 May 2011, 18:03 »

No, don't you see? He never existed in the first place!

I.e. the goldstein character.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #74 on: 04 May 2011, 00:33 »

Whatever, I'm pretty sure Osama made 7 Horcruxes anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7