Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That  following several months of dedicated research, the Synenose Accord held a public and widely attended conference in the shattered Seyllin system, site of the tragic Seyllin Main-Sequence event? See more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Khanid Kingdom  (Read 8133 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Khanid Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2013, 08:19 »

That's why I said the big difference lies in the obligation. A vassal does not have to raise his armies to go wage war with his liege unless the liege requires it. A vassal does not protect the liege either, only the liege protects him.

Btw in the current state of the proxy I have yet to see the Ammatar or Khanid navies. Their "levies" have not been raised for the Ammatar, and the mutual protection pact with the Khanid has not been put into the equation (yet) for now.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2013, 08:34 »

Btw in the current state of the proxy I have yet to see the Ammatar or Khanid navies. Their "levies" have not been raised for the Ammatar, and the mutual protection pact with the Khanid has not been put into the equation (yet) for now.

In both cases, as Makkal pointed, I suspect that's because the Empire and Republic are technically not at war, so the treaty doesn't come into play.  This would be reinforced by the fact that TLF pilots don't get aggro from Khanid navy forces in the Kingdom.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2013, 10:23 »

In both cases, as Makkal pointed, I suspect that's because the Empire and Republic are technically not at war, so the treaty doesn't come into play.  This would be reinforced by the fact that TLF pilots don't get aggro from Khanid navy forces in the Kingdom.

Hence my wonderfully high Khanid navy standing :3

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2013, 11:30 »

Which I've always found very lol with kala being pro-republic.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #19 on: 16 Jun 2013, 12:03 »

Kala is pro-republic, but also pro-Reppywen.

The latter comes with Khanid standings as a side effect. :P
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jun 2013, 14:12 »

To be fair, Kala has always had a soft spot for the Khanid. She respects those who show defiance in the face of the Empire :)

Plus, Kala is far more pro-friends than pro-republic :P

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jun 2013, 14:32 »

To be fair, Kala has always had a soft spot for the Khanid. She respects those who show defiance in the face of the Empire :)

Still, she preaches antislavery and yet has during that time flown the banner of the one of the most vicious slavers navy, makes her a hypocritical slag in Vince's eyes. Something which he finds much joy in.  8)

EDIT: le grammar
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2013, 14:44 by Vincent Pryce »

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 16 Jun 2013, 14:39 »

Still, she preaches antislavery and yet has during that time flown the banner of the one of the most vicious slavers navy, makes him a hypocritical slag in Vince's eyes. Something which he finds much joy in.  8)

^_-

She only took missions against Blood Raiders and Sansha, still, I see your point. Isn't it fun :3

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #23 on: 16 Jun 2013, 14:49 »

Still, she preaches antislavery and yet has during that time flown the banner of the one of the most vicious slavers navy, makes him a hypocritical slag in Vince's eyes. Something which he finds much joy in.  8)

^_-

She only took missions against Blood Raiders and Sansha, still, I see your point. Isn't it fun :3

Pyramid for the pyramid god.

'Tis indeed. Looking forward to Kala's eventual return.

PS. Also corrected the grammar in my previous post.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jun 2013, 19:59 »

I *think* I got all the news links.

I find it odd that the Kingdom essentially disappears from the news after 2010.

If anyone can find Kingdom related Chronicles, missions, or other neat stuff, please post it.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jun 2013, 20:07 »

We had an awesome AURORA event many years ago where we prevented an ultra-unionist plot to steal an Archon.  We Kingdom Loyalists got to stick it to the dirty Khanid traitors trying to reunify with the Empire :P
Makkal would have just turned 17.

Yeah, she probably has that comic too.

Current Events

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #26 on: 23 Jun 2013, 02:34 »

So I was reading the official Khanid Kingdom chronicle, and something interesting occurred to me.

Other features, such as the importance of religion and slavery, are also very much alike in the two states. In fact, the kingdom takes slavery even further than the empire. The Amarr Empire uses almost exclusively Minmatar and Ealur slaves, but the kingdom, denied many of their traditional slave sources, take slaves wherever they can find them. Khanid himself has a Gallentean - a former pop-star - as his personal slave, something he finds highly amusing but makes the Gallenteans frothing at their mouths.

Here's the thing.  The Kingdom quite willingly takes slaves from just about any source - which would quite often mean criminals, either independent or the Cartel, I would imagine - and have no qualms about different bloodlines.  Truth be told, I find the line about most Empire slaves being Ealur or Matari a little odd, but that's another story.

It's also established that the Kingdom is an insidious bastard when it comes to slave control.  Vitoxin, of course, but they also use TCMCs (on the quiet).  Vitoxin is one thing - it's a chemical slave chain, but it doesn't affect the victim's mind (directly, anyway).  TCMCs, however, a literal brainwashing tool.

So how does one take this ruthless, mercenary approach... and at same time have the kind of religious foundations that the Empire has?  Don't forget, in the Empire, slavery is meant to be a religious activity, to educate the barbarian in the ways of enlightenment.  Only the most secular Amarrian would ever consider the use of TCMCs on their slaves.

The rationalisation that I've used is that the Kingdom's religious nature is a sham.  Certainly there are plenty of believers there, but fundamentally, it's used as a shield, both to keep in the Empire's good books and to allow them to point fingers at their neighbour if shit goes wrong.  The Kingdom (probably through a hefty dose of Caldari influence) has become an increasingly secular place.

What's your take on this?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jun 2013, 02:47 »

Of course it is a sham. Not totally since we still see Khanid Zealots and other illuminated Khanids.

But it is no wonder that Khanid's law takes precedence over God's law.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #28 on: 23 Jun 2013, 02:49 »

So I was reading the official Khanid Kingdom chronicle, and something interesting occurred to me.

Other features, such as the importance of religion and slavery, are also very much alike in the two states. In fact, the kingdom takes slavery even further than the empire. The Amarr Empire uses almost exclusively Minmatar and Ealur slaves, but the kingdom, denied many of their traditional slave sources, take slaves wherever they can find them. Khanid himself has a Gallentean - a former pop-star - as his personal slave, something he finds highly amusing but makes the Gallenteans frothing at their mouths.

Here's the thing.  The Kingdom quite willingly takes slaves from just about any source - which would quite often mean criminals, either independent or the Cartel, I would imagine - and have no qualms about different bloodlines.  Truth be told, I find the line about most Empire slaves being Ealur or Matari a little odd, but that's another story.

It's also established that the Kingdom is an insidious bastard when it comes to slave control.  Vitoxin, of course, but they also use TCMCs (on the quiet).  Vitoxin is one thing - it's a chemical slave chain, but it doesn't affect the victim's mind (directly, anyway).  TCMCs, however, a literal brainwashing tool.

So how does one take this ruthless, mercenary approach... and at same time have the kind of religious foundations that the Empire has?  Don't forget, in the Empire, slavery is meant to be a religious activity, to educate the barbarian in the ways of enlightenment.  Only the most secular Amarrian would ever consider the use of TCMCs on their slaves.

The rationalisation that I've used is that the Kingdom's religious nature is a sham.  Certainly there are plenty of believers there, but fundamentally, it's used as a shield, both to keep in the Empire's good books and to allow them to point fingers at their neighbour if shit goes wrong.  The Kingdom (probably through a hefty dose of Caldari influence) has become an increasingly secular place.

What's your take on this?

Remember that there are multiple interpretations of the faith. The earliest and most original conservative belief is that the Amarr are God's Chosen and, as Chosen, have a God-given right to control everyone else.

This is the viewpoint the Khanid hold. It is less about providing the slaves spiritual education, and more about the fact that they are Amarr and therefore have a God-given right to own slaves.

"Instead, the Kingdom tends to take a relatively simplistic view that, as Amarr, they are superior to other races and thus have the God-given right to enslave them as they see fit. Outsiders see little difference between the Kingdom and the Empire in this regard, believing that the Kingdom is merely more honest about things. This has led to lingering tensions between the two Amarr nations, however, even as the two have grown closer in recent years."

- Khanid Justifications, Slavery article, EVElopedia

So yeah. They're very secular despite the religious demeanor (the article outright calls it lip service). All a bunch of heretics and apostates, really. We need to give the Kingdom to House Ardishapur, just like the Mandate. We'll teach you the proper way of things!
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2013, 02:58 by Samira Kernher »

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2013, 12:13 »

As I understand it, there's no theology council and each Holder, being spiritually superior to those around them, gets to interpret the Scriptures as they desire. Given the Scriptures are a living document, they can probably pick and choose which scriptures are important and which can be ignored.

As long as you don't piss off other people in power, you can probably have your own personalized version of Faith... that said:

The rationalisation that I've used is that the Kingdom's religious nature is a sham.
Of course it is a sham. Not totally since we still see Khanid Zealots and other illuminated Khanids.

I think sham is a rather poor word here.

The People's Temple Agricultural Project was a 'sham' but when Jim Jones ordered his followers to commit suicide, 907 people ended up dying from drinking poisoned kool-aid.

Do the people at the top manipulate beliefs for their own goals and profits? Sure, a number of them do. But that's going to be just as true in the Kingdom as it is in the Empire or State or Federation. And for every belief, there are going to be ardent followers, people who are just doing what everyone else does, and people who are questioning what's going on.

I think what you're seeing is simply cultural: The Khanid value religion but they prioritize it differently.

It's like being in a small, Southern town vs being in a small, West Coast town. The West Coast town will have fewer believers and their attitude toward the church is going to be different. That doesn't mean West Coast churches are corrupt or their version of Christianity is a sham.

If anything, an area where the religion is paramount is more prone to abuses. Those in religious positions have more social power and can get away with a great deal more. 
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2013, 12:16 by Makkal »

Current Events
Pages: 1 [2] 3