Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter founded Synenose Accord, a capsuleer corporation dedicated to unraveling the mysteries of w-space and the Sleeper AI?

Author Topic: Re: Reporting of moderator posts and related issues  (Read 712 times)

Bacchanalian

• Omelette

So using the word rape in the context of ravaging/despoiling the in-game economy for their own profit, using the same root of the word as "rapine" meaning stealing given the fact that CCP is doing this in order to increase their own profits--that's offensive?  It's a perfectly legitimate use of the word and according to any dictionary you might care to consult, is proper English.  That's uncivil?  I mean, it's one thing to say "lololol I raped that guy's kestrel lololol", but it's entirely another to use it in the context I did, and frankly lumping the two together is infantile (my apologies to the infants of this forum).

Simply because a word is commonly misused does not mean each and every use of said word is misuse.  It certainly does not make it uncivil to use the word correctly, and if the bar on this forum is a word is off limits that has multiple legitimate meanings, one of which is offensive and one of which is misused in vernacular, we've reached new levels of moronic (wait, sorry, moron might offend someone too as it was a medical term for someone with the intellect of a 9-12 year old--prepubescents unite!). 

By that logic, Kaleigh Doyle's post indicating that some of the people in this thread are incapable of dressing themselves is offensive on the same level and merits moderation.  Someone here might be paralyzed of have some other physical disability that Kaleigh is stepping on with that post.  And before you roll your eyes, our most recent applicant in STIM has no use of his left side thanks to a stroke he suffered recently, so this isn't plucking nonsense out of thin air.  It's plucking a real example to make a point.

I in no way see how using the word I used in the context I used it is on the same level as using "gay" as a pejorative (doing so completely ignores the dictionary definitions of the word, incidentally, unlike my usage).

If you absolutely can't express yourself without the frequent use of the words 'rape', 'gay', etc., then possibly this isn't the forum for you.

I'd use a bunch of words here, but I won't.  Seriously though, if you're too ignorant to see the difference between the abovementioned uses of various words, I think I agree, this forum is utterly devoid of use to me.  Hopefully, however, we're simply being a little silly here?  And please feel free to review my post history and point out at which point I crossed the line from "one use that does not fit the generalization above" to "frequent use" of those words.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Re: Reporting of moderator posts and related issues
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2011, 21:59 »

I don't think anyone here is confused by your argument re:context, Bach. I think the issue is that we disagree with your interpretation.

Ultimately moderation can be a subjective exercise, and there will be differences of opinion sometimes. The point of moderation isn't to make everyone happy, or to allow everyone to express their opinion any way they would like. It is to maintain the board according to the rules and guidelines.

Edit: Incidentally, your post would easily qualify for moderation, in most cases given the rampant ad hominem attacks. Since it is just volunteer moderators you are attacking, and you seem to be confused about the rules of the board, I'm letting it stand in this case. In the future, and certainly on any other section of the boards though, it would get moved.
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2011, 22:02 by Silver Night »

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
Re: Re: Reporting of moderator posts and related issues
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 2011, 01:18 »

Edit: Incidentally, your post would easily qualify for moderation, in most cases given the rampant ad hominem attacks. Since it is just volunteer moderators you are attacking, and you seem to be confused about the rules of the board, I'm letting it stand in this case. In the future, and certainly on any other section of the boards though, it would get moved.

Off topic, but if it's something you feel needs to be moderated, moderate it, don't wave the modstick around and show your magnanimous nature with a finger wag.  Consistency is key to moderating in a manner that isn't openly questioned, and frankly I find the moderation around here (besides overbearing) to be somewhat lopsided at times.  Perhaps magnified by the fact that it is so overbearing, but regardless, if you're going to lay down the law, lay it down and enforce it.

Yes, I did just basically ask to have my post moderated.  But my point is serious--enforce or don't, don't waffle.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Reporting of moderator posts and related issues
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jul 2011, 10:09 »

[mod]Removed for Ad Hominem etc.[/mod]

You are correct, I should have just moderated it. An error in judgement after a long day. Please feel free to repost within the rules and guidelines.