Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That PIE capsuleers do not only supply their comrades with spiced wine, but also with dark, maltey ale and fine brandy from their planetside holdings?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTL  (Read 2169 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
FTL
« on: 22 Sep 2012, 20:44 »

http://www.ftlgame.com/

Who else is playing this little piece of awesome?

My first adventure:

[spoiler]The baseliner clones of WHG's triumvirate are likely to die horrible, horrible deaths aboard the cruiser Lacking Gravitas.

We are carrying intelligence information vital to the defense of the Federation and must reach a key system in time.

We jump the FTL drive.

When we arrive in the next system, a pirate vessel (Rigger class) approaches and engages us.  It has a combat drone.

Hoshi is at the helm.  Des is in the engine room giving it all she's got.  Sol takes manual control of our weapons.

This Rebel bastard is about to learn a painful lesson.

Before we get our first shots off, the enemy drone is making sure our shields are earning their keep.  Then an enemy's missile punches through and damages the engines.  Des hurries to get them back to full power.

Our first volley gets through, knocking out the enemy's shields, but his own missile fire kills our oxygen system.  Life support is about to become a problem.

I send Des to take care of the O2.  The engines can wait.

Our next shot takes out their engines.

And they open a channel.

The wimps are offering a surrender.  Everything they have in exchange for their lives.

Well, now.  It seems they're not going anywhere with those engines on fire... we could end this quickly... but the fuel, missiles, and valuable spare parts they're offering to jetisson for our collection would be valuable.  Really valuable.

Especially since we have no idea what we'll be facing next.

Fine.  The scoundrels can flee with their lives.

We'll take the supplies.

And get that life support system back up, 'cause it's starting to get hot in here.

Sol heads down to life support to help Des.  We patch up the ship.  Everyone is still pretty green at the controls, but the more experience we get, the better we'll be at our stations.

The FTL drive is spun up.  On the star map, we notice there is a distress beacon active within our range.

Getting the intel to the Federation brass is vital, but this could be an ally under Rebel attack.

We decide to investigate the call for help.

And jump.

It's a human mining colony.  They've had an outbreak among the workers.  Typical Caldari wageslaves no doubt.  A quarantine rule is coming down from the top, but the workers don't like it.  There's a riot brewing.  The administrators ask if we can help.  Guess they still think spacers have all the answers.

Not these spacers.

We spin up the drives.

And jump.

We land in an asteroid belt.  A pirate Rigger is lying in wait.

This one has a drone as well.  It starts plinking at our shields.

Their first missile strike hits our sensor systems.  The internal cameras are knocked out.  We can't see what's going on inside the ship outside the cockpit, engine room, and weapons station.

We aim for his shield generator, but the first volley only damages it.

The exchange continues.  Dodging these asteroids is hard, but Hoshi's got things well in hand in the pilot's chair.  She hopes.

We hit those shields again and bring them down.  Our lasers punch through and start putting the heat on the enemy's weapons.

There's an energy spike.  He's spinning up his FTL.

Punk.

Picked a fight you couldn't finish, eh?  Sol aims for his engines.

The lasers strike true.

And the pirate ship comes apart.  Nice shooting.

Des sifts through the debris -- she says she only engages wrecks.  We find plenty of useful scrap, a missile, and what's this... drone parts?

We'd linger and try to get the internal cameras back online, but the asteroids are getting through and dinging the hull.  As soon as the drive is spun up, we take a deep breath.

And jump.

Right on top of a red giant.  Someone has moved the FTL beacon.  We strip off our fashionable turtlenecked uniforms.  Things are about to get toasty.

Plus there's another suicidal pirate inbound.  This one's flying an Energy Bomber.  Weird design.  Looks Gallente.

He's about to be scrap wherever he's from.

Or that's the plan at least.

His shields ignore our missile and laser fire.

The FTL is only at 25%.

Shit.

Solar flare incoming.

Sol lets loose another volley just as the solar energy impacts the ship.  There's a power surge.

Des reports a fire in the engine room.

I send Sol to help.  With the cameras out, there could be fires elsewhere in the ship that we don't know about.  But if those engines go offline, we're going to die here pirate attack or no.

The firing computer does its best on its own.  We knock out the pirate's weapons.

The fire in the engine room is bad.  Des reports the engines are critical.  She's coughing badly.

Des and Sol take refuge in the small space behind the engine room and seal the doors.  We've got to get those fires out, and the best way to do it quickly is to cut off the fuel--the oxygen.

Emergency decompression.

We blow the doors on the starboard airlock and open all the doors from there to the engine room.

It works.  The fires are out in the engine room, but Des is in a bad way.  She goes down trying to get back in there and get the engines online.

And then the pirate gets his weapons back up.

The first thing he hits is our internal door control system.

Half the ship is exposed to space and now there's no way to close the airlocks.

Hoshi jumps out of the pilot's chair and rushes back to try and fix the door controls.  There's a fire burning in the control room.

The firing computer sends another missile toward the pirate scum.  His hull can't take it.  The ship breaks up.

Hoshi gets the fire out in the door control room.

Whew, but we're not out of trouble yet.

Another flare incoming.

The shields seem to hold.  Now let's get these doors online.

Hoshi gets the door controls up.  We shut everything, but it's going to take a few minutes for the atmosphere to normalize.  Hoshi decides to run for it through the decompressed sections to try and reach Sol and help with the engines once life support starts to normalize in the engine room.  Des is still in there.  We expect the worst.

But that's not the worst.

With the cameras down, we didn't realize the shield generator room was on fire too.

Hoshi runs through the flames and reaches Sol.

The computer warns of another incoming flare.

The flare hits.  The ship reports weapons and shields are damaged.

Sol and Hoshi take a deep breath and run into the engine room.  Des is beyond saving, but the engines aren't.

Just as they bring the engine back up, the fires reach the cockpit.  Piloting is down.  We can't spin up the drive.

Hoshi and Sol run toward the front of the ship.  The medbay is on the way.  They grab stimpacks and plunge the hypos into their arms.  Gotta keep moving.  Gotta save the ship.

Another flare incoming.

Dammit.

Shields are down.  When that thing hits...

They run for the cockpit.  It's on fire.

The flare hits.

Sol can't take the heat in the cockpit and falls back out into the corridor.

As the ship drifts terribly close to the raging red giant, Hoshi desperately douses the flames crawling over the cockpit controls until she is overcome, coughing... then gasping for air... and collapses to close her eyes.  For the last time.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2012, 21:56 by Ken »

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: FTL
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2012, 22:35 »

Got this game a week or so ago. Heard about it on fhc, checked it out, and lost a weekend and several evenings as a result. The only thing that has gotten me to quit playing it (for now) was getting into the Planetside2 beta.

Desiderya

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2012, 22:46 »

Yeah, Hoshi, in hindsight my argument about wrecks not shooting back doesn't seem to be so stupid, does it?

:D
Nice read, and that game looks terribly tempting. <3

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2012, 23:46 »

Considered making a tread about this game for the last two days that I've owned it, and have had time to spent loads of time on it, only broken by occasional BL2 gaming.

In short, I love it, and I love it's soundtrack.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2012, 01:24 »

I've been playing it quite a bit.

Only rarely have I cussed out a game so thoroughly for various reasons, or enjoyed the successes so much.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Alain Kinsella

• The Planet Miner
  • Clonejack
    • The Kind Healer
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2012, 03:29 »

My roommate mentioned this game a couple days ago, I knew about it already and have no real interest right now.

Mostly, I saw the word 'permadeath' in the description and stopped there.  But he mentioned that each game is short so its not a real deal-breaker.  Looking again at the recent games coming from Steam, this appears to be part of a new trend they're calling rogue-like (per the old text game).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:02 »

Tempting but overall very interesting and innovative.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2012, 04:56 »

We are carrying intelligence information vital to the defense of the Federation and must reach a key system in time.

The Federation. =_= Some fucking patriots, huh.

I've been loving this, on and off. I managed to unlock the Engi Torus, and the stealth-based one -- both can be hilarious. The former I have a bad tendency to use to suffocate the other ship's crew by disabling their oxygen; the latter is so impractical but so hilarious. No shields, a cloak, and a big fucking armament, wahey!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2012, 06:23 »

It's very amusing and compelling.

Rockmen make the best fire-fighters. They're immune to flames, and put fires out by... jumping up and down.
\o/

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2012, 11:31 »

My roommate mentioned this game a couple days ago, I knew about it already and have no real interest right now.

Mostly, I saw the word 'permadeath' in the description and stopped there.  But he mentioned that each game is short so its not a real deal-breaker.  Looking again at the recent games coming from Steam, this appears to be part of a new trend they're calling rogue-like (per the old text game).

Roguelikes aren't a "new trend", but they sure are fun.

The Federation. =_= Some fucking patriots, huh.

I just haven't figured out how to mod it to say "State" yet.  ;)

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2012, 13:39 »

I've played no other roguelikes, but will say that hardcore mode is part of the fun in FTL's case. The game takes no more than a couple hours to finish on a good run but most attempts will get you blown to bits and leave you to refine your strategy or try something new altogether. It's kind of frustrating and satisfying all at the same time.

There's also so much random content and unlockables you couldn't possibly see it all in a single run.

the latter is so impractical but so hilarious. No shields, a cloak, and a big fucking armament, wahey!

For a while the stealth cruiser was the only one I could make it to the final stage with! Eventually I beat it with the default ship, unlocked the Federation Cruiser, then unlocked the second layout of that on my first run with it. I'm liking the artillery beam.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2012, 13:43 by Safai »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2012, 14:40 »

Finally made it through four sectors and unlocked the Engi cruiser.  The ship designs remind me a lot of Gratuitous Space Battles, which is a good thing.  :)

Edit: Engi cruiser is awesome.  Starting with the medical nanobots and two Engi crewmen is very helpful.

2nd Edit: He says... until he gets boarded the first time.  Engis, y u no can fight?? :s
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2012, 15:00 by Ken »

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2012, 17:51 »

My favorite ship, for pure giggles sake, as been the Rockman cruiser.   The Engi ship is interesting. 
The Osprey is by far the best Ive found, for its siege beam ability and starting out with the multi-racial crew.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2012, 17:53 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2012, 02:41 »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2012, 15:14 »

Lol BB, nice link.

Made it to the last sector in a Kestrel today, but couldn't bring down the flagship. I think if I could have scrounged just 4 more scrap and kicked the drone system up that one last point, I'd have had it.  Alas, the Drake Equation and its human and mantis crew died heroically.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2012, 15:17 by Ken »
Pages: [1] 2