Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lutin lights are sometimes seen by ships approaching the Iyen-Oursta stargate. Many Minmatar slaves believe that seeing the lights means their firstborn son will be blessed with freedom. Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Portal 2 - POSSIBLE SPOILERS INSIDE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.  (Read 3013 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

... Okay, so, oddly we don't have a thread for this up yet. Going to copypasta my post from Veto's forum thread about the game, to start:

Played through the single-player campaign last night almost as soon as it became available.

7-hour playthrough. Well worth the money. Laughed my ass off most of the way through, and enjoyed all of the little easter eggs I could find. Story was a little predictable in a couple places, but generally managed to keep a couple steps ahead. Need to go back and see what I missed.

Most of the puzzles felt fairly straight-forward, but I did have some trouble with the first Conversion Gel puzzle (I don't think I solved that one the way that it was intended to be solved), and some of the later ones took a couple tries to figure out what I was supposed to do.

Zoom feature was pretty useful later on, if a little hard to control while in motion.

Looking forward to trying co-op when I've got a little less work on my plate.

What did other people think? And no spoilers, please - if you absolutely must, use the tag, but please be considerate of those who haven't finished or purchased it yet.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2011, 15:48 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Crucifire

Re: Portal 2
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2011, 14:17 »

7 hour playthrough? Sounds longer than the first one. Can't wait to pick it up.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2011, 02:21 »

Just DL'ed it and will be trying the solo-campaign asap, and the duo-campaign when my friend get's online.

7 hours sounds pretty good, according to steam poral one has a grad total of 2 hours of play-time in all, and ALL I did with that one was beat the campaign, so it's definitly longer.

Also, P2 is 10gig while portal was 5, but then, portal did not have that co-op feature, not sure how much of an indication this will be.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2011, 05:27 »

My lack of money is saddening
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2011, 14:30 »

... 7 hours sounds pretty good, according to steam poral one has a grad total of 2 hours of play-time in all, and ALL I did with that one was beat the campaign, so it's definitly longer ...

Is it just me, or is seven hours really weak? This type of number is a reason why I wouldn't buy the game.

Are the days when you couldn't finish a new game in one sitting, or in one weekend at the longest, over?

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2011, 14:51 »

I finished DA2 in somethign like 34 hours, which took all weekend...

But then I started again to see what effect different choices would have, and Mizhara convinced me to get DA:O to get some of the in-jokes...

so far, very good value for isk, as far as time spent.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2011, 17:07 »

All my American friends are saying that Wheatley is me in a Pokéball.

Then again, that may be because most of my American friends don't know any other British people, but still...

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2011, 18:35 »

... 7 hours sounds pretty good, according to steam poral one has a grad total of 2 hours of play-time in all, and ALL I did with that one was beat the campaign, so it's definitly longer ...

Is it just me, or is seven hours really weak? This type of number is a reason why I wouldn't buy the game.

Are the days when you couldn't finish a new game in one sitting, or in one weekend at the longest, over?

It depends, I suppose. 7 hours of quality experience that makes me feel my 50$ was worth it is better than a 50 hour long run epic.

Bang for your buck, and all that. Portal's a game I'd shell out 50$ for because it's quality, contrast with Dragon Age II which I feel is better at 30$ instead of 60$.

I am also under the impression modder tools are included for Portal 2, offering potential re playability out the ying-yang.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2011, 18:56 »

According to my cousin who works for QA at EA Games.....

Half-Life Ep. 3 will actually be Half-Life 3, and will be announced Q4 2011, with easter eggs after Portal 2 occuring.

Then again, this is the same guy that playtested Elder Scrolls Oblivion during his college years.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2011, 19:02 »

Okay, a few things to clarify.

First, seven hours is how much time I took on a first playthrough, in, yes, one sitting. I do not normally play through entire games in a single sitting. Portal was a special case influenced by circumstances outside of Valve's control. (Namely, my homework. :P) Demetri took ten hours to complete the single-player campaign, according to his post on Veto's forum thread. I'm sure there are some people who will take less time than I did, considering I'd estimate that about an hour of my run was spent stuck on 2-3 puzzles or poking my nose around for easter eggs.

Second, co-op is a campaign and story entirely unto itself. That's another 6-10 hours of content, and it's probably a bit more replayable than the single-player campaign because of the dynamic of playing with another human.

Third: Achievements. Guarantee that the vast majority of people won't get them all in a single sitting, and there will be plenty of achievement whores trying to get them all. I know I missed a couple from the single-player campaign, and intend to go back for them. ;)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2011, 14:04 »

For me, it's about £10 too expensive for the amount of game on offer. I'm fine with games being short - way better than bloated and filler-strewn - but the pricing has to reflect quantity as well as quality.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2011, 14:26 »

It took about 7-8 hours for me to finish as well, but there's some stuff I missed evidently and I am really looking forward to both the co-op campaign and the developer commentary.

The best part, for me, is how Portal 2 is yet another example of Valve telling an amazing story simply through showing you the world, with very little actual dialogue (though what's there is amazing). In my mind they are the masters of this kind of storytelling -- from Half-Life to Left 4 Dead to Portal there's so much you can learn about what the world is/was like just from observing your surroundings, and each game seems to do it better and better. Portal 2 manages to show the truly tragic nature of its world with basically only three speaking characters.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2011, 06:10 »

I'm taking way longer than Morwen, although at a few points I did take a quick look at a guide or asked help on alliance TS because I was just stuck. I love the gel stuff though, and the other new mechanics in it. Will be having loads of fun with the co-op soon, as the boyfriend also got the game. It's a bit pricy, but I know I will be playing it several times and get the best out of it.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2011, 22:39 »

I beat the single-player campaign, and I'll only say it was worth every crown I spent on the entire game alone. The co-op was a blast too, the dynamic of having another person with you and a campaign that demands teamwork makes for a very good experience, and tons of fun assisting your partner in your combined quest to finish, or occationally betraying them to their deaths intentionally or messing up a bit for the smae result :lol: The voice-acting was great, in both campaigns, and the story and the way it's told is awesome, mostly covered by Svetlana.

Bottom line is, for everyone that has enjoyed Valve's other works and/or Portal 1, this game is worth bying. If your worried about prize vs time, simply wait for a bit until it's prize drops a little. This game is likely to be available for a long, long time to come still.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2011, 09:56 »

I'll be able to buy the game someday. ._.

I'm in space.
Pages: [1] 2