Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fedos are spongy creatures about the size of a cat that smell horrible and are sometimes used for waste disposal on ships? More here!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: How do you feel about the current state and direction of the EVE IP  (Read 20319 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I suppose its my own personal issues with the game.

I used to feel like this particular MMO was something very special and represented sometimes a very interesting sort of 'interactive fiction' where things that we did with other players and the NPCs affected the world of the game and the 'story,' and the people who made the game, who wrote the PF stories, were really interested in the lore and there was sort of a respect and back-and-forth with us the subscribers.   The 'story' seemed very important to the overall game, and was given focus and time and attention by the powers-that-be behind the curtain.  Each expansion was a lore event, things happened, the plot moved, it was one of the more public and visible parts of the game.  The lore sort of oozed out of every pore of the game, it was rich and it's probably what sucked in most of us here on this forum.

While it was never this thing where the players drove the story on their own all the time, we were given a PF bone pretty often and allowed to interact with the fiction.  Things happened often in the PF, and it was all most of us needed to have something 'concrete' to bounce our own stories off of.  "x faction did this and said this and this thing happened" and then us nerds would go off and fight about it or debate about it, or sometimes effect it.

For a variety of reasons those days are over, and I'm having to do a lot of reflection lately on continuing to pour my time into a game where the people making the game don't seem to have any of the same interests in my area of interest any more.  It's not that what they are doing is bad (although some expansions are hard to defend), they can take their IP and move it anywhere they like.  It's weather it is a time investment that's worth it for me moving forward.

I'm failing at not trying to sound butthurt (heh), but my point is I used to feel like the game I was paying for, a lot of the people making the game had a lot of the same interests as me the player.  Lately I don't feel the same way, do any of you feel similar?

« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 13:23 by Silas Vitalia »

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."

I can certainly understand where you're coming from. Especially with the lore moving forward with each expansion part...lately some expansions are just game content-related as opposed to being tied with the backstory of EVE. However, I'm an optimist and I have faith that this current trend CCP is going on (capsuleers growing beyond the grasps of the empires), although a bit cliche, is leading towards something great in the future.

And if you end up quitting EVE...can I has your stuffs pls?
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

While I do like that CCP is giving the lore no small amount of attention these days I wish that:
1. They get some serious science fiction writers to work on it and stop trying to mirror the lore too closely to current RL events.
2. They do not railroad the lore events.
3. Player actions get referenced more and player events and CCP events intertwine more.

1 is easily doable. 2 and 3 however is trickier. If 3 is done really well 2 might not have to happen at all. However, we have to admit that 3 is a really serious issue because the players may act like utter douchebags and ruin everything 'for the lulz' instead of seriously sticking to their role. Every time, whenever CCP lore events actually involve player involvement we had seen that it usually ends up being an utter mess where one side is serious about plot progression, another side is trying to troll everyone, another side being opportunists and neither the protagonist nor antagonist side actually successfully herding the involved party to go through with the event.

Nothing much can be done with the trolls except treating them as 'wild card interferers' and responded to as such. As for the 'cat herding' part, it would be nice if CCP would engage with player RP factions to help out. That I think would improve matters. Also, communication needs alot of work. Maybe have special chat channels you get into automatically whenever you get to the involved systems and the neighbouring systems i.e. Sansha incursion chat.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I can certainly understand where you're coming from. Especially with the lore moving forward with each expansion part...lately some expansions are just game content-related as opposed to being tied with the backstory of EVE. However, I'm an optimist and I have faith that this current trend CCP is going on (capsuleers growing beyond the grasps of the empires), although a bit cliche, is leading towards something great in the future.

And if you end up quitting EVE...can I has your stuffs pls?

If that's the direction the plot is going to keep going, then I want some PLOT on this.  Events and lore and all manner of 'things (tm)'.   I'm not opposed to the capsuleers somehow breaking out from CONCORD and causing problems but I want it to be a dynamic and interesting high stakes clash of civilizations.  Maybe you have to choose to be 'unafilliated' or retain loyalty to the factions and there are consequences to each, who knows.

I'm not quitting right now, but if I do we'll have a hell of a party and stuff will be given yes.

V. Gesakaarin

I think I'll just say I love the background fiction, but the news and events just less so because they tend to come off as nothing more than flash-in-the-pan marketing exercises.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

I think I'll just say I love the background fiction, but the news and events just less so because they tend to come off as nothing more than flash-in-the-pan marketing exercises.

Yeah this. "We have this new feature coming out tomorrow! Quick make a news article about it!"
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette

There also seems to be a desire on CCPs part to liberate the game from its lore and make it just about the players. Shaikar noticed yesterday that the Viziam blurb disappeared from the Sentinel, for example. Maybe I am being paranoid here, (and I actually think I am unless it starts happening to more ships) but I can't help but read decreased presence of impactful mentions of background and the horrible marketing events as a "We think the backstory is dorky and want it to be about players blowing up players" on the part of a good portion of CCPs devs. 

And Elmund, I don't think they need science fiction writers. They need science fiction wargame makers in about the same place David Weber was in before he became a novelist. Don't even know if that type still exists, but thats what CCP needs to get a handle on their universe. Someone to categorize everything, actually figure out how the empires relate in raw materials, tech, economy ect to eachother and to the capsuleers.

Then maybe hire an anthropologist. And go from there.

« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2014, 11:53 by Gaven Lok ri »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

There also seems to be a desire on CCPs part to liberate the game from its lore and make it just about the players. Shaikar noticed yesterday that the Viziam blurb disappeared from the Sentinel, for example. Maybe I am being paranoid here, (and I actually think I am unless it starts happening to more ships) but I can't help but read decreased presence of impactful mentions of background and the horrible marketing events as a "We think the backstory is dorky and want it to be about players blowing up players" on the part of a good portion of CCPs devs. 

Possibly a stupid question, but you did notice they split the per-level/role bonuses into their own tab on the show info windows with this patch, right? Traits and Description are two separate tabs now. :)

Edit - I happen to like this change, for the record, but I don't care for how it removed the fluff text from the Market entries. Probably worth an F&I thread.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

V. Gesakaarin

Also am I the only one that's been noticing the at times random tossing of news articles and chronicles etc., down the memory hole? Recently, I've tried looking for certain ones that I -know- existed for info and they were all gone.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."

Its a conspiracy! Hide yer wives, hide yer kids!
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

Also am I the only one that's been noticing the at times random tossing of news articles and chronicles etc., down the memory hole? Recently, I've tried looking for certain ones that I -know- existed for info and they were all gone.

They redid how they organised news stories. Lots of old links no longer go anywhere. If you do a lot of digging around, you can find them again, have a look at this thread as to how: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=308994&find=unread

It's so bad, that CCP are looking for player volunteers to join ISD, to sort out the broken links on the wiki.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=316857&find=unread

That's right, the background and PF of CCP's game world is in a disorganised enough state that even CCP recognise it needs work.

But they're not willing to pay for it.
\o/

Lyn Farel

I feel the same.

I only admired Eve for it's incredibly rich lore (though not a fan of some of the chronicles), and for it's macro economy and politics. How that kind of sandbox can truly shine, through player made goods, trade, conflict, to a scale never seen until now.

I never admired Eve for its tedious, bland gameplay, that has always only been based at its core on standard MMO values glorifying farming, tedious work, and a combat gameplay that looks more like DOTA than an actual space opera roleplaying game...

And Elmund, I don't think they need science fiction writers. They need science fiction wargame makers in about the same place David Weber was in before he became a novelist. Don't even know if that type still exists, but thats what CCP needs to get a handle on their universe. Someone to categorize everything, actually figure out how the empires relate in raw materials, tech, economy ect to eachother and to the capsuleers.

Then maybe hire an anthropologist. And go from there.

You can find other kind of people that can do the same. Science fiction writers work too if they get implied into the game making process. We have a historian where I work and that guy can create very genuine and deep plots if he wants to. And he does, to a certain amount, because the company doesn't always give itself the means to really dig deeper in that direction, unfortunately.

If your game designers have some culture that can also help and work too. But heh, CCP prefers hiring from the playerbase rather than pros. Hiring the playerbase might be good for a few positions to get player feedback, but that's about it.

They redid how they organised news stories. Lots of old links no longer go anywhere. If you do a lot of digging around, you can find them again, have a look at this thread as to how: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=308994&find=unread

It's so bad, that CCP are looking for player volunteers to join ISD, to sort out the broken links on the wiki.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=316857&find=unread

That's right, the background and PF of CCP's game world is in a disorganised enough state that even CCP recognise it needs work.

But they're not willing to pay for it.

Yes, and at the same time they pay players for their New Eden Open, because that's obviously more important :marketing101:

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

I'm comfortable with the EVE lore.

I am not comfortable with some of my colleagues in the RP community, nor am I content with the lack of immersion in gameplay.

The news articles were manually ported over to the new system, not automatically. Because of that, some were missed in the haste to transfer some 2000 news articles. CCP has requested that we notify them of any missing articles if we know of any as a bug report, so they can get them worked out.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

Indifferent to it.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei

I cannot vote as the options are basically " love  it " or " hate it ". My vote would go towards " generally alright with it but could use more depth ".
Sometimes one wants to get caught...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12