Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers were a political activist organization that fought for repealing starship licensing fees, laying the foundations for the independent capsuleer community.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Caldari Arc  (Read 20312 times)

Gesakaarin

Re: Caldari Arc
« Reply #150 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:02 »

KK has a lot of foreign exposure as well (see their station distribution).  The only two corps without significant presence outside the State are Lai Dai and Hyasyoda (again referencing station distribution).

SuVee doesn't have station assets outside the State, although knowing them they probably conduct a lot of their foreign business via front companies and other dubious corporate practices.

As for the Megas themselves I don't think they've moved much more beyond:

Patriots: Lets wear jackboots

Liberals: Can't we all be friends?

Practicals: Greed is Good.

It doesn't help that aside from the Lai Dai-SuVee affair, almost all Caldari news generally boils down to Kaalakiota being bellicose and Ishukone being the peacemakers.

And that's about it really.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #151 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:07 »

Speaking as a member of I-RED, who has played the good and bad sides of Ishukone for a while now... I can say that having the Caldari underdog called a Mary Sue is frankly silly. I use the word "silly" because stronger words might earn me a moderator's ire.

Yes, we're the 'nice guys'... but don't think for a second that this is something to be admired in EVE. We've gotten kicked between the legs since TEA more times than I can count. Even OOC, our affiliations and PF leave people sometimes hesitant to trust Ishukone aligned roleplayers as legitimate Caldari.

We might not be evil Nazi jackboot Provists, but we're sometimes portrayed/considered just as ridiculously, as spineless cowards who love the Gallente.

So please, Vikarion... don't say Ishukone is a Mary Sue, unless you're saying Mary Sues are the underdog.

Vikarion

« Reply #152 on: 26 Mar 2013, 01:10 »

As someone who has been an Ishukone player from the get go (and never read Ruthless), let me just say that I was not happy about much of what happened in TEA. Especially since the CEO looked utterly retarded ("hey, I'll just leave my clone IN THE SPACE STATION I'M IN ALL THE TIME") and his sister looked weak and feckless (yet another of my critiques about TEA's misogynistic undercurrent, if you missed it). And then she GIVES AWAY insorum to the Minmatar. Smart. Move. Why did we chase Hnolku down again if you were just going to give it away to the Minmatar anyway?

Ishukone is one of the few megacorporations that's had a significant amount of development about what it is like aside from being Caldari. That is a crying shame and I'd really like to hear more about SuVee, NOH, and Lai Dai especially.

I'm fairly sure that TonyG doesn't think that you can be both a good businessman/businesswoman and a good person. It was kind of a telling note that he seemed to almost totally did tout the near-bankruptcy of Ishukone as a good thing - "look! A business that isn't in it for the money!", and saw the give-away of Insorum as a completely selfless act, as opposed to a total betrayal of Ishukone's employees, shareholders, and subsidiaries.

When I call Ishukone a Mary Sue, I mean it as an extension of Garuishi, and only in TEA (well, Garuishi is pretty over-the-top in Ruthless, too). It certainly isn't after TEA. By the way, don't read Ruthless before taking some blood pressure medication.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2013, 01:12 by Vikarion »

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #153 on: 26 Mar 2013, 03:24 »

TBH Ishukone's current behaviour is both characterful (them being the most accessible interface for State diplomacy - especially with the Federation), and to the benefit of returning to an 8 representative State.  If Ishukone can act independently enough, driving support of Heth down further, the other megas will start placing their wagers and showing their hands. 

As a Sukuuvestaa roleplayer, and a minority, it would be foolish of me to expect a focal point of any Arc progress to focus on my faction, but I can assume all of the blocs will have their game plans ready for Heth dying, topping himself or getting the push. 

Ishukone is keeping itself alive and progressing through reaching out to those who share their ire with certain elements of the State at present, in the interests of the State as they see it should be.

Suvee and the Practicals, apparently staunch supporters of Heth, are probably waiting for the failcascade.  Get liquid, voice support, wait for property prices to drop.  They lost out to the auction, you can bet they have some pretty questionable plans in motion to recoup and profit should the centralised system wracking the State go into spasm.  Until then, voice support hoping that if there is a transition instead of a revolution, you get bequeathed some substantial assets for your 'life long support'. 

KK and the Patriots, noted as being leery of Heth but in favour of aggressive foreign policy are the ones in a bind right now.  KK is effectively owned by Heth, making it very much a victim.  Wiyrkomi are kind of out in the cold, looking in on the system and the issues it causes for their traditional values versus their loyalty to the State as an entity.  KK is still the strongest individual mega in terms of raw power projection, to my understanding, but should Heth really go off the rails that may not be true for much longer.  However, if anyone is going to strike at Heth directly, my money would be on a KK executive, possibly with Liberal collusion. 

Practicals stand to gain (or at least maintain status quo financially and socio-politically) regardless of outcome if they play it right, Patriots and Liberals would gain immediately by the removal of Heth before he decides to lose any more multi-tens-of-billions assets in a muscle flexing vanity move. 

Here's looking forwards to how this ties up, and the potential return to an 8 member council.  Oh and increasing that land ownership for Suvee would be nice ;).   
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2013, 03:27 by Aelisha Montenagre »

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #154 on: 26 Mar 2013, 08:02 »

Also, Lai Dai has deals with the Khanid, don't they? Just not stations?

LD had shares in Khanid Innovations and was written as having interest in the Empire-based Cathum Conglomerate.

KK has a lot of foreign exposure as well (see their station distribution).  The only two corps without significant presence outside the State are Lai Dai and Hyasyoda (again referencing station distribution).

SuVee doesn't have station assets outside the State, although knowing them they probably conduct a lot of their foreign business via front companies and other dubious corporate practices.

How did I miss that  :bash:

It doesn't help that aside from the Lai Dai-SuVee affair, almost all Caldari news generally boils down to Kaalakiota being bellicose and Ishukone being the peacemakers.

And that's about it really.

There was also a string of articles about business in the Kingdom involving Wiyrkomi and Hyasyoda IIRC.

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #155 on: 26 Mar 2013, 09:09 »

There was also a thinly veiled war of sabotage between Hyasyoda and SuVee at one point, I think. And I think calling the Practicals staunch supporters of Heth is probably a misnomer...like I said earlier, I think it's more correct to say they are waiting until they think they have more to gain from pulling their support than from lending it, and I suspect that point grows closer every day.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #156 on: 26 Mar 2013, 09:30 »

Yeah that was an almost direct quotation of the wiki, not my personal opinion.  Personally, 'lip service' or 'cupboard love' express the relationship a lot more. 

Rise or fall, supporting a dictator for self preservation and later personal gain seems up their alley.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #157 on: 26 Mar 2013, 16:56 »

Speaking as a member of I-RED, who has played the good and bad sides of Ishukone for a while now... I can say that having the Caldari underdog called a Mary Sue is frankly silly. I use the word "silly" because stronger words might earn me a moderator's ire.

Yes, we're the 'nice guys'... but don't think for a second that this is something to be admired in EVE. We've gotten kicked between the legs since TEA more times than I can count. Even OOC, our affiliations and PF leave people sometimes hesitant to trust Ishukone aligned roleplayers as "legitimate Caldari."

We might not be evil Nazi jackboot Provists, but we're sometimes portrayed/considered just as ridiculously, as spineless cowards who love the Gallente.

So please, Vikarion... don't say Ishukone is a Mary Sue, unless you're saying Mary Sues are the underdog.

"Fixing" shit for others isn't nice in most cases but right here I need to make a point.

The way you phrased the original post made it seem like your buying into the opinions of others OOC who seem to think Ishukone-Caldari RP is not 'proper' or whatever. I'm confident this is not so and my brief impression is inaccurate, but I will share some opinion regardless.

In short and without apology, that's bullshit. No-one get to tell you how to RP or how legit or not your choice is. Sure, we can nudge players in the direction of PF they seem to have missed when they are heavily out of line, or slap the silly out of folks who want to bring their Orc Shaman's to EVE and RP, or some other entirely outlandish thing, but RP'ing a Caldari who sees the State and intra-State / State-Fed RP different from them?

I would honestly propose that the next time (if ever) anyone goes and tells you your doing it wrong and should stop, for not RP'ing your quite frankly entirely legitimate characters, you quietly and privately tell them to go fuck themselves - in whatever polite or perhaps not so polite manner you see fit to say it.

There should be 0% tolerance for YDIW regarding factions and RP style.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #158 on: 26 Mar 2013, 17:38 »

Thanks BB, but that isn't quite what I meant.

I was referring to IC/OOC RP politics, but I don't want to get into the OOC/IC politics of I-RED during the past 5 years because by now the outside opinions of us are so intertwined with our own choices. Action, reaction, reaction-to-reaction, etcetera.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #159 on: 26 Mar 2013, 22:35 »

Ishukone? Mary Sues? Whut.
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #160 on: 26 Mar 2013, 23:29 »

I believe this is what you're looking for. (No, not droids...)

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #161 on: 27 Mar 2013, 04:37 »

Well, IMHO all this stuff is leading to eventually outcasting the whole corporation from the State  :ugh: Maybe even with a little military conflict like what happened between Federation and the State when Caldari left the Federation.

And, unfortunately, the more players play this outcast card, the more chances it will happen.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #162 on: 27 Mar 2013, 05:07 »

Perhaps I'm the oddball here (or the eternal optimist) but I don't foresee this ending badly for Ishukone, to be honest. The news made it clear that the crowd had a "hushed clap and jeers" not cheers, which is the usual crowd reaction to a Heth speech. It seems more like Heth is visibly losing support to me, which is quite realistic given the focal point of his regime is now lost.

Ishukone is staying true to form as a pioneer in humanitarian and foreign efforts. They get both ire and praise from various elements in the State and will continue to do so.

Wiyrkomi has been pretty much quiet and on the outside during most of Heth's "reign" and I suspect it has been so intentionally. Flying under the radar, so to speak.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #163 on: 27 Mar 2013, 05:38 »

Once dictators get openly jeered at, they're not going to be dictators for much longer.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #164 on: 27 Mar 2013, 05:45 »

I believe this is what you're looking for. (No, not droids...)

Oh I know what a Mary Sue is, I just think the plausibility of Ishukone being one is just downright silly. We aren't all butterflies, unicorns, and rainbows, y'know. For example, what do you think I-RED is doing down in Syndicate? ;)

* Korsavius leaves a dark alley, quite pleased with all the [insert backroom deals here] that took place
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12