Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that ectoplasm (pod goo) is illegal in all empire space except the Minmatar Republic?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Caldari Arc  (Read 20236 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Caldari Arc
« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2013, 06:44 »

I do not find the Heth character in itself especially bad. The syndic corporate worker archetype around is not necessarily a bad thing imho.

Where lies the real issue is most likely that he has completely twisted what the Caldari society was about, by suddenly becoming some kind of fascist dictator ruling over the 8 megas with popular support. It changed a lot of the Caldari face overall.

Thing is, most of the events that serve as prologue surrounding this current arc are mostly outlined in Templar One which our characters do not know about.

Can we haz a tl;dr about the TO events that our characters do not know about ?

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2013, 07:43 »

*Malcolm sits down for his afternoon cup of Hak'len and reads the latest news on his datapad. Upon reaching this particular article, Hak'len spews forth from his lips and bathes his datapad. Through the gently flowing stream of Hak'len now moving southward over the screen, Malcolm's eyes narrow at the words and his lips twist downward into a grimace of disgust.

At last, he sets the soon-to-be ruined datapad on the smooth, glass table before him and leans back in his chair gazing into the distance. As was his way of doing things, he ponders the situation and the courses before him - consequences are only briefly considered as they tend to sway one's opinion toward the "safer" course rather than the "right" one.

--=={X}==--

Approaching his capsule to leave the station, Malcolm prepares himself to once again be "jacked in." When the capsule embeds itself into the customized hull of his Hawk-class Assault Frigate, Malcolm adjusts the automated systems and negates the safety-protocols, permitting free action. As the ship leaves the docking bay of the station and the strange solace of the stars floods his senses one more, Malcolm steels himself for the days ahead.*
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Vikarion

« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:12 »

People have been calling Heth's introduction to EVE the word thing to ever happen to Caldari RP. Now that he's being removed by Falcon, people are complaining? Seriously?

I'm not complaining about the removal of Heth, I just doubt that that's what CCP will really do. At the most, I figure they'll remove him just to replace him with something even worse, rather than the cyber-punkish, megacorporate state we used to have.

When CCP Falcon said that they realized that the factions have been portrayed unfairly, a lot of people took that to mean that a more balanced grey-and-grey view would be adopted. I, on the other hand, tend to be more pessimistic. I think that CCP could very well mean that the Amarr Empire and Caldari State have been portrayed too well, and thus that it's time to really put some hurt to them. I won't be surprised if we end up with the Caldari Navy bombarding civilian populations in the State and Heth setting up death-camps for Achurans, for example.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:33 »

You know why Game of Thrones is such a good book?  Because the badguys win.  Heth is a horrible person but he's not a bad character.  (Poorly written in some cases.)  Conflict is needed for any good story.  Heth has been good for Caldari RP, overall.

No, wrong. Heth has been TERRIBLE for Caldari RP.

First off, 'Caldari RP' is the players who engage in it. When the whole thing with Heth started plenty of State RP'ers up and left, either quit RP'ing, changed their RP aims or quit the game. That was directly bad.

Secondly Heth introduced a very un-Caldari concept to Caldari RP that went right in the face of what PF had established as 'Caldari like' for so long. Back when we had no Emperor, Prime Minister Midular and President Fouritain, the State enjoyed a unique edge by being directly led by a council of CEO's for the corporations. It helped reinforce the idea that the State was not really that much of a "State" but more a confederation of 8 massive corporations and the 8 CEO's who ran them were directly in charge, with a few collective entities under their control that they all assist with, like the Navy. The Republican Prime Minister had her council of Tribal leaders and representatives, the Federation's President had the Senate and back before Doriam was offed there was the Council of Heirs that directly ruled in the Emperor's name. The Caldari were the only ones not to have a single figurehead to look to BACKED by a council type organ, the Council type organ WAS DIRECTLY IN CHARGE.

In short, Heth simplified the State in a major, and very un-Caldari way. And he did not even do a good job at it - his involvement turned a morally-grey faction with debt and nuances into a single-minded corporate dictatorship that got their simple, blacker shades from super-racism, starting a war out of hatred and generally just converting that State into this would-be arc-typical "bad guy" faction. It capitalized on amplifying all the negative traits the State possessed to make them 'darker' and more 'bad'.

And EVE is not about Good VS Bad. (Federation/Republic VS State/Empire) It's about Grey and Grey vs Grey and Grey, all with slightly different shades and plenty of vibrant back-story, and this is what people like Tony G seemed never to understand.

Honestly, if Heth is removed and some of that "Caldari like" essence is restored to the State I'll be very happy, very happy.

Vikarion

« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:39 »

I...agree with BB?

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:48 »

I...agree with BB?

Don't worry, it's not a lethal condition and it wanes soon enough.  :P

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2013, 10:04 »

I think it could be wiser to actually move Heth to where he should have been put in the first place : a public, cultural icon of the Caldari, a chief syndic being a thorn in the feet of the nepotistic CEP. A bit like Blaque (sociocrats) in the side of Foiritain. Not necessarily someone with a lot of executive power actually.

It would ask for a lot of plot gymnastics though.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2013, 10:05 »

To be honest, I think without Heth as the Executor there could be a very interesting dynamic in the State of having the "traditionalist" corporatists who believe in things like corporate sovereignty, balance of power through the CBT/CEP, market independence contrasted with the "nationalist" Provist/Templis who continue to agitate for a unified State above the Megacorps, militarism and the settling of old scores.

With both views arguing that theirs is the fundamental and true vision of the Caldari State which in a sense makes sense since it wouldn't have existed if the seceding Megas couldn't foment popular support through Caldari nationalism, and the Caldari colonial patriots and nationalists would not have been able to realize their ambitions of independence without the finance and support of the Megas. A Devil's pact perhaps, but one that I think would still affect the modern State and would be interesting to explore.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2013, 10:21 »

People have been calling Heth's introduction to EVE the word thing to ever happen to Caldari RP. Now that he's being removed by Falcon, people are complaining? Seriously?

The Broker was the worst thing to happen to Caldari RP.  Heth's intro was a Broker ploy.  Heth should have been a mixed bag, but we have little to no insight how wide spread the reforms have been and if those reforms are directly tired to CPD penetration.  All we get is a paranoid baseliner, used to introduce Factional Warfare (where he was unneeded) and now the introduction of DUSTies (where he is unneeded).
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2013, 19:32 by orange »

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #24 on: 20 Feb 2013, 05:57 »

http://community.eveonline.com/news/newsFromEve.asp?of=true&newsTitle=caldari-navy-stands-down-remains-secretive

Caldari war mashine standing down, jobs done ?
Approved by "EVERY megacorpation", that would mean Ishukone too ?

Anslol

« Reply #25 on: 20 Feb 2013, 07:28 »

http://community.eveonline.com/news/newsFromEve.asp?of=true&newsTitle=caldari-navy-stands-down-remains-secretive

Caldari war mashine standing down, jobs done ?
Approved by "EVERY megacorpation", that would mean Ishukone too ?

LAME

Desiderya

« Reply #26 on: 20 Feb 2013, 08:00 »

That would mean this, yes.

Also I'm positively surprised by this article. It refers to what actually happened (including IGS discussions by player characters) and addresses the concerns voiced while providing an interesting feedback. Overall this reads far more ambiguous than recent events, which were rather black and white.

Now we see baseline support and high-level scepticism - one can interpret the silence as criticism or reluctance, too - regarding the CPDs internal policing, basically mirroring what has been said on these forums in related discussions and was deemed lacking in earlier news posts/events.
I'm definitely going to stay tuned. ;)

Jev North

« Reply #27 on: 20 Feb 2013, 08:17 »

The Broker was the worst thing to happen to Caldari RP.  Heth's intro was a Broker ploy.  Heth should have been a mixed bag, but we have little to no insight how wide spread the reforms have been and if those reforms are directly tired to CPD penetration.  All we get is a paranoid baseliner, used to introduce Factional Warfare (where he was unneeded) and now the introduction of DUSTies (where he is unneeded).
Pretty much! It's the prime example of why reading the TonyG novels is bad for your health; every time Heth comes up you need to plug up your ears, tightly close your eyes, and go "LA LA LA LA LA" real loudly to help yourself ignore all of the stuff you're not supposed to know, but too terrible to ignore easily. It's a strain.

I'm definitely going to stay tuned. ;)
Ditto!

Desiderya

« Reply #28 on: 20 Feb 2013, 08:57 »

The broker is TonyG's beloved deus ex machina. That's bad enough, but what really makes it horrible is that it is entirely unnecessary. Doing it twice in the same book (Terran superweapon - thrice if you want to count the elder fleet which at least seems to contain the least asspullium) just adds insult to injury.

On the caldari side the biggest impact is that - ICly - Heth looks like a war hero and (at least not in-) competent leader whereas OOCly you just know that he got there by sheer luck and massive outside influence. Totally caldari values <.<.

Anslol

« Reply #29 on: 20 Feb 2013, 12:26 »

Alright, I'm going to say it here and now. I fully support using the Broker. Sorry, but I do. Eve's story line so far is fun, but the ancient history and mysterious stuff is what gets me REALLY interested (Sleeper itams, Jovian interferan', the Other doin' bad stuffan',  Broker dyan').

But no seriously, I don't see why the concept is so hated. It brings out more mystery and cool stuff in Eve. I don't play this game to see the same human problems persist 20,000 years from now half way across the verse without ANY kind of extra mystery lurking about and poking its head out. If the Broker is that plot device so be it. I don't think it's totally beyond the bounds to classify it as believable. It's a big verse after all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12