Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gradient (GRD) is an independent elite capsuleer unit affiliated with the Minmatar Republic?  Read more here

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Arek'jaalan: The analysis  (Read 23151 times)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Arek'jaalan: The analysis
« Reply #165 on: 26 Feb 2012, 02:40 »

I find your insistence that we can somehow affect any aspect of the storyline whatsoever hilarious.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #166 on: 26 Feb 2012, 04:16 »

You can, if you become a volunteer for the Fiction Portal. Of course, you will not get direct credit for it but you can make all kind of stuff up that only needs approval from Abraxas to become Prime Fiction.

I am pretty certain he is the one with A'J stick too, seeing he is the only one making a mention of the project and with the cut downs of the content team he could be the only one working directly on EVE lore and fiction left. I am not aware of his interests in doing live events; it does not seem like his style.

So, with Headfirst working in Shanghai on levels for DUST (and not really into A'J in the first place) and Dropbear resigning the core of the live team is gone.

And I have said it before; trying to make theories in A'J feels like a waste when the sources you use in the Fiction Portal constantly changes and can at any time overwrite your theory by stating the factual truth. It is much "safer" to be a volunteer writer yourself. If A'J was Dropbears pet project the Fiction Portal is Abraxas' and he will put priority accordingly.

As I am not volunteer writer myself I will opt for the second best option; sit on my hands and be spoon fed from the Portal.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2012, 04:38 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Random Sentience

« Reply #167 on: 26 Feb 2012, 08:42 »

I find your insistence that we can somehow affect any aspect of the storyline whatsoever hilarious.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. Here's a bit more in-depth analysis of my view:

In short, though it's perfectly understandable to expect to be able to affect the storyline, the metaplot shouldn't be changed by players.

There are points of interaction, like A'J. As much as I applaud Dropbear's initiative, and as much as I'd like to enjoy and participate actively in A'J, it should never have been implied that it would close the gap in player and character knowledge. It took me a bit of soul searching to realize why exactly I was so on-the-fence about the project, but I think it comes down to the feeling that it was just a means of promoting the Tony Gonzales view of EVE canon fiction. Perfectly fine if this canon view were shared by a majority of players, but in a game that promotes itself as a sandbox, "canned" storyline elements don't seem to fit the big picture. When those canned storyline elements are completely misinterpreted by the players, there's a huge problem.

Let me be clear; Most of the more recent chronicles tie directly into Templar One and The Empyrean Age. They appear to be designed to back up every single 'OMG, where did that come from?' moment.

It was a noble endeavor, but A'J felt, to me, like they were just buying time until Templar One came out. The "mysterious" Chronicles are now easily decipherable when put into context of Templar One. The metaplot is there, in the open, and it's basically saying that the player characters are the least important pieces on the grand chess table that is EVE.

I do enjoy the metaplot, but I don't think I'm alone in saying that perhaps it's best that it not be general knowledge. There are ways to bring the revelations to light, but will it be acknowledged by CCP? That's probably a question that should be directly asked on the EVE forums, with an effort made to bring it to CCP's attention.

I don't play EVE to sit back and have plot spoon fed to me. I never have, and I never will. I am quite happy that I've influenced what I have in regards to the metaplot, overtly or covertly, but it is kind of a kick in the teeth when I see my concepts twisted into justifying badly written transhumanist agendas.  ;)

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #168 on: 27 Feb 2012, 10:46 »

The metaplot is there, in the open, and it's basically saying that the player characters are the least important pieces on the grand chess table that is EVE.

I agree, which is one of the biggest problems with the novels and the events contained within them.

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #169 on: 27 Feb 2012, 13:08 »

The metaplot is there, in the open, and it's basically saying that the player characters are the least important pieces on the grand chess table that is EVE.

I agree, which is one of the biggest problems with the novels and the events contained within them.
Furthermore, all the politics, warfare, religion and history of New Eden in general now seem a bit meaningless since jovians have actually been secretly controlling everything, even though we are not supposed to know it IC.

I personally would have preferred the current status quo to be shaped by the interaction between cultures, economic, scientific and military opportunism, disasters, random events and all kinds plotting, scheming and human stupidity. With omnipotent aliens you can justify anything and nothing needs to make sense any more.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #170 on: 27 Feb 2012, 13:25 »

... so basically it's stated that the entire universe is run by a band of FUCKING DEUS EX MACHINA aliens running shit behind our backs? Seriously?

Tell me this is just an idea or theory you got, not easily found facts from the books or anything...

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #171 on: 28 Feb 2012, 01:56 »

... so basically it's stated that the entire universe is run by a band of FUCKING DEUS EX MACHINA aliens running shit behind our backs? Seriously?

Tell me this is just an idea or theory you got, not easily found facts from the books or anything...

I was referring to the struggle between the Enheduanni who have been trying to guide the mankind and the Jove who want people to follow their own path (and then they hand out the capsule technology). It has been brought up for instance in these quotes
[spoiler]After the architects left Heaven, the Enheduanni went on to attempt to manipulate humanity, to bring them to the same utopia the Architects had been in. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]The Other, the alien virtual intelligence that infected Jamyl Sarum following the succession trials, was the first virtual-born creation of the Architects, and thus, had no body to return to.[/spoiler]
Since the Jove have been protecting us, I guess we are fine.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #172 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:35 »

Stupid question : is Jamyl still lolinfected ?

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #173 on: 28 Feb 2012, 14:02 »

There's also a quote about there being no way to tell how much of humanity's progress was due to manipulation, which I am going to confidently assume is "none" because it's the least stupid answer.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #174 on: 01 Mar 2012, 12:14 »

There's also a quote about there being no way to tell how much of humanity's progress was due to manipulation, which I am going to confidently assume is "none" because it's the least stupid answer.

Damn.  You're right. There goes that awesome theory I just thought up to explain everything I've ever done in EVE.

Though it wouldn't be a half bad way to explain capsuleer dementia.  "Some capsuleers are messed up because of the mental strain involved in trying to combat the forces trying to manipulate them.  Others do drugs. Others watched too many episodes of MLP: Space Adventures. "
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2012, 12:18 by Vieve »

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #175 on: 26 Jun 2012, 12:41 »

Thread Necro because I had a few thoughts which have been brewing for some time, so I finally decided to ask CCP, for all the good, ill or boredom it might do me.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1059721&#post1059721
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #176 on: 26 Jun 2012, 13:22 »

That's a significant rewrite of your OP there. You're upset; that's not getting any better with time; there's no official resolution in sight.

Could the players involved in A'J make a resolution that works "well enough"?

Could you live with the mystery that Hilen Tukoss disappeared while engaged in his work?

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #177 on: 26 Jun 2012, 13:29 »

Just another event storyline left behind to slowly decompose in the storyline graveyard that is eve...

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #178 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:32 »

A’J is dead.

The effort to write those "scientific" articles is completely wasted when NOBODY within CCP gives an inch of notice or care for the Storyline development. No, the new mantra is spaceships; World of Spaceships. With the same deep storyline setting as World of Tanks.

We were trying to uncover a solvable mystery and interact with the game, not write personal stories for our own amusement. A’J worked great and build up a lot of momentum, sadly, all has been but lost and beside a few diehard people, all major contributors (those actually writing the articles) has disappeared from the project and/or EVE entirely (myself included).

Btw. it actually takes quite the effort and time to write a fictional scientific article with prober links to sources and careful interpretation of findings and results. Anyhow, it was fun while it lasted.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #179 on: 27 Jun 2012, 04:47 »

Btw. it actually takes quite the effort and time to write a fictional scientific article with prober links to sources and careful interpretation of findings and results. Anyhow, it was fun while it lasted.

Confirming this. You can still do SCIENCE™ but there's nothing you can really do for A'J now. The Templar One 'reveal' kind of shafted the whole thing.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13