Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The voice of the AI on capsuleer ships was recorded by Excena Foer? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Arek'jaalan: The analysis  (Read 23113 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Arek'jaalan: The analysis
« on: 25 Jul 2011, 06:34 »

So its been a few weeks now since the iconic defection of Hilen Tukoss, and the project is still going without any "major" catastrophe. Most of you will know that I was breifly with the project before my CEO seppuku'd. So whats everyones opinion?

Has there been success?
Does the project have potential?
What do you think A'J should be?

Butthurt Caldari loyalists welcome :D
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2011, 15:43 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Aodha Khan

Re: Arek'jaalan: The Verdict
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2011, 06:59 »

I'm still unsure as to what the project actually is above a comms channel and some divisions being setup....

Does it have any practical purpose in-game yet ?

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2011, 07:24 »

Bit quick to make a conclusion as I feel the project has just started.

I find people are having more difficulties advancing this event that the Sansha pre-incursions. I put that down to most people having little experience in approaching a topic in a real scientific manner and ignore the real troublesome part of having to document findings in context with as many sources as possible (training Science to level 5 is not helping me :!: :cry:). Doing field testing and collecting small pieces of clue here and there are good (and straight) steps forward, but with so few trying to put the evidence together, supporting a hypothesis will be difficult. Doing experiments and writing the Methodology chapter was always much easier than Introduction and Discussion.

I think Dropbear and Headfirst will try to compensate and put in some "shoot at this obvious bad guy" happenings that are much easier to understand and worked so well with the Sansha events. The first w-space event clue was also shot to pieces which just show how eager, and good, EVE players are at shooting at stuff. The Security division of the Arek’jaalan project is also by far the largest.

Second event, though, the w-space residents were too afraid (or undermanned) to engage the single Sleeper drone, but I think we will see more spatial rifts appear soon so trigger-happy EVE players can be "real scientists". :P
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2011, 07:31 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2011, 07:52 »

I think I should ay that "verdict" was probaby the wrong word to use seeing, as was pointed out, that the Project isnt very old at all

In any case I hope this thread will go on as the situation changes.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2011, 07:53 »

I was going to try and have Seriphyn involved but...I couldn't justify it IC because Sansha loyalists were involved.

Now, I understand it's meant to be inclusive and all, but Sansha's Nation has declared itself as the exception, declaring war against all of New Eden. It's different from the Serpentis or Cartel, who often do shady deals with the empires, but given the post-singularity, anomalous nature of Nation, I just find it strange in including them. It's like the United Nations embattled with a race of space aliens who want to destroy the human race, yet are including a few of them in their science projects.

However, not wishing to pee on people's cheerios, I am not involving myself in this event, despite the above points of immersion-breakages.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2011, 08:49 »

So wait...Seriphyn is surrendering all influence over the project to the Sansha, and letting them get first dibs on whatever knowledge this scientist comes up with?
Or did I read that wrong?

I sort of figured that this would end up as a scientific project fraught with capsuleer infighting and power-struggles over who benefits from the results/has influence over the main scientist.
Kind of like Creliere. But with podders.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2011, 08:57 »

So wait...Seriphyn is surrendering all influence over the project to the Sansha, and letting them get first dibs on whatever knowledge this scientist comes up with?
Or did I read that wrong?

Very good point. I was considering Seriphyn on the ethics committee, but it involves someone who doesn't like me both IC and OOC for some reason (barely interacted with them) so :ugh:

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:12 »

The first w-space event clue was also shot to pieces which just show how eager, and good, EVE players are at shooting at stuff.

May i ask which "kind" of clue or situation was blown up?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:06 »

The verdict: This is a long, long term project - not in the least because I think CCP is still figuring out what makes any given subset of the playerbase tick, what makes us go "meh", and what makes us convulse with an all-consuming rage.  :P

In the case of Arek'Jaalan, there's a very fine line between revealing clues at a good rate, allowing the players to develop things (both their own support structures, and scientific stuffs) on their own, and accidentally introducing factors which make us wildly fly out of control and distract us from the project's target (see: the weeklong debate over the Ethics committee, which made up over 50 percent of mails sent and a decent portion of the chatter on the AJ main channel while it was running, despite Tukoss' attempts to get us "back on target").

Frankly, I'm not totally sure CCP has this method of releasing things "down" yet.

PS: Given the way things are being run in this project, I'm basing my assumption here on the continued belief that AJ is aimed at having us discover something critical to the storyline before the release of Dust 514, and that the "release of clues" will be carefully regulated to aim for just this.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:17 »

The first w-space event clue was also shot to pieces which just show how eager, and good, EVE players are at shooting at stuff.

May i ask which "kind" of clue or situation was blown up?

Here you go.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:36 »

It's got potential, but it's chasing off too many of the more principled entities by it being 'inclusive' enough to have the worst entities in New Eden grab division head positions and there being little to no consequences for stated loyalties and intentions. IC that is. OoC, there's a lot of people going 'meh, there's no fun in having to constantly either drop character convictions, or locking horns with the opposite sides' from what I can tell.

Still, for the 'less principled' as it were, it's a great project. It's all up to you and what you feel is right for your character.

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2011, 11:51 »

CCP cant go and tell people "sorry we dont want you because you did this and that 2 years ago".

Bearing that in mind, people can either deal with it or not, thats true.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:11 »

CCP cant go and tell people "sorry we dont want you because you did this and that 2 years ago".

Bearing that in mind, people can either deal with it or not, thats true.

Actually, while I'm a fan of inclusiveness, I think it would be a major victory for RP having consequences if CCP itself looked at what you'd done and who you professed loyalty to and did something about it.

However, until they are able to put on enough events that there will be something else for them to do instead, they can't really do that. As long as they can only run one big thing at a time, they have to try to be inclusive or they risk accusations of favortism, etc.

If the players could organize to exclude those they didn't want to be a part of it, that'd be fine, but getting everyone to agree on who should or shouldn't be there is nigh on impossible.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:17 »

Yeah, it's just the amusing note that the more inclusive you are, the less inclusive you are, since you by default exclude those who won't work with their worst enemies.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2011, 12:20 »

Bit quick to make a conclusion as I feel the project has just started.

I find people are having more difficulties advancing this event that the Sansha pre-incursions. I put that down to most people having little experience in approaching a topic in a real scientific manner and ignore the real troublesome part of having to document findings in context...

Yea, i feel hard to get in it, don't have so wide knowlage about PF that helps to i think.  :bash:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13