Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The last time someone attacked the Jovians, it was the Amarr, at Vak'atioth, and the Amarr fleet was crushed?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: ENOUGH Already.  (Read 9790 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: ENOUGH Already.
« Reply #30 on: 20 Nov 2010, 22:12 »

Esna, of course characters will always have nuances not easily expressed through what we do in piloting. Those nuances may be reflected in piloting style  -- for example, the -10 standings to a faction -- but, as you note, we lose a lot of resolution / fidelity that way.

The issue at hand, though, is whether the IGS provides the best opportunity to express those nuances. I submit that, given its setup as a place for directly addressing other pilots rather than 'acting out' our RP in a semi-public setting, it just doesn't work very well. Maybe a collaborative thread in the EVE Fiction board might work better.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2010, 00:22 »

Ah. I misunderstood the OP, then; thank you for clarifying, Casiella. I had assumed the OP felt that ALL text RP and empty wardecs/threats were overunning in-space RP as a whole. If we're JUST looking at the IGS, then yes, I also see it as a rather limited representation of RP as a whole.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2010, 00:26 by Esna Pitoojee »
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:55 »

So then what's the proper response when someone ignorantly claims that your IG actions don't support your IGS postings when, in fact, they actually do and the person making the claim doesn't know what the hell they're talking about?

What's the proper response when someone spends more time tearing down other people's sandcastles because they are a blight upon their vision, but never build any of their own?

Edit: On all sides, myself included, there's far too much hasty generalization going on.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2010, 15:06 by Syylara/Yaansu »

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #33 on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:37 »

... The issue at hand, though, is whether the IGS provides the best opportunity to express those nuances. I submit that, given its setup as a place for directly addressing other pilots rather than 'acting out' our RP in a semi-public setting, it just doesn't work very well. Maybe a collaborative thread in the EVE Fiction board might work better.

This. A lots of what goes on on the IGS would be much better, from both a story and RP perspective, if it took place in the form of RP and then fiction.

What I am always confused about is the RP between obvious alts both in game and on the IGS. I can see why this is done, because fiction lacks the "look at me" element, but some charater development would be best served though fiction.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #34 on: 22 Nov 2010, 17:12 »

Stimulus still here last I checked.  We just stopped caring about RP when RP targets stopped being willing to shoot back.

The amusing thing is Bacc that everyone's a roleplayer if we want them to be. I have to say the absolute best thing about our autumn "count of monte cristo" arc (revenge of the attempted theft of TAZ norlonto) has been the stream of "non-RP" entities that have been forced to engage with the Fraction's interpretation of individualist anarchist free space ethics in the surrender negotiations that inevitably follow our griefing their petty 0.0 space aspirations into dust.

To the op. Can you give a bit more detail about exactly what narcs you about IGS at the moment? Because I have to admit its looking precisely like a public debating free-for-all for the capsuleer class precisely as intended. Reputations get made and ruined, wars get triggered and surrenders get publicised. Is there really a problem?

« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2010, 17:15 by Jade Constantine »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 22 Nov 2010, 17:14 »

Is there really a problem?

The posts in this thread that have already listed what irks us about IGS tend to indicate that, at least at some level, yes, a problem exists.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #36 on: 22 Nov 2010, 17:16 »

Is there really a problem?

The posts in this thread that have already listed what irks us about IGS tend to indicate that, at least at some level, yes, a problem exists.

Well you above suggested that for your particular taste in roleplay a collaborative thread in eve fiction would work better yes? If thats an option you'd like to pursue (and I'd applaud that) why would you need to change IGS as well?

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 22 Nov 2010, 17:27 »

Personally, I don't look to change IGS (although I wish that we had a better option for forum RP than IGS + EVE Fiction).

I just avoid it. If it works for other people, great, but I look at it and see something that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #38 on: 22 Nov 2010, 17:30 »

Personally, I don't look to change IGS (although I wish that we had a better option for forum RP than IGS + EVE Fiction).

I just avoid it. If it works for other people, great, but I look at it and see something that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
Quote from: EVE Online Forums
Corporation, Alliance and Organization Discussions
-From political conflicts to battle reports, news, and corporation press releases – this is the in-character political center for all things corporate.
Technically speaking you don't have just those options, and technically EVE Fiction isn't really for RP.

Just sayin'.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 22 Nov 2010, 17:37 »

Right, EVE fiction isn't exactly the right place, either. And I thought they'd removed that requirement from CAOD, at least in the rules.

You are right about the qualifiers you add, though, because I can just imagine trying to RP in CAOD... :eek:

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #40 on: 22 Nov 2010, 17:54 »

You are right about the qualifiers you add, though, because I can just imagine trying to RP in CAOD... :eek:
RP threads in CAOD (and the random "RPLULZ" threads) get moved to IGS, so I don't even think there's a consistent policy within CCP regarding RP (or even a real understanding of In-Character/Roleplay in general), but if there was, it seems "IC=RP=IGS" is the general rule of thumb.  Despite what it says on the forum descriptions.

So, if there's a "problem", it's one of consistency in application of said forum rules more than anything.  Which, in all honesty, I don't see.  Just be thankful that there is a forum specifically designated "RP" to begin with; there'd be no reason to get "LOL u gais no dis iz a vidyo game, rite?" posts removed (aside form teh bad gamar).

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #41 on: 22 Nov 2010, 18:11 »

RP threads in CAOD (and the random "RPLULZ" threads) get moved to IGS, so I don't even think there's a consistent policy within CCP regarding RP (or even a real understanding of In-Character/Roleplay in general), but if there was, it seems "IC=RP=IGS" is the general rule of thumb.  Despite what it says on the forum descriptions.

So, if there's a "problem", it's one of consistency in application of said forum rules more than anything.  Which, in all honesty, I don't see.  Just be thankful that there is a forum specifically designated "RP" to begin with; there'd be no reason to get "LOL u gais no dis iz a vidyo game, rite?" posts removed (aside form teh bad gamar).

But... RLS. What if the great revelation to EVE's storyline breaks the fourth wall? :o

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #42 on: 22 Nov 2010, 18:34 »

But... RLS. What if the great revelation to EVE's storyline breaks the fourth wall? :o
Deadpool breaking of fourth wall, or Wesley Gibson breaking the fourth wall?

Vlad Cetes

• Rick Rollermeister
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #43 on: 22 Nov 2010, 20:21 »

This thread is gone way too downhill:
I will save it with Samuel L Jackson:
"Enough is enough! I have had it with these muthafuckin shit threads, on this muthafuckin forum!"

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #44 on: 23 Nov 2010, 11:22 »

There are good IGS threads, and then there are bad IGS threads.

It's the same as every other forum.

What's the solution?    Get involved with the threads that are good and ignore the ones that are bad.

If you really think that they're all bad, then don't complain - get on there and make some good threads
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4