Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the war between Electus Matari and PIE Inc started when -EM- pilots destroyed a slaver vessel in The Bleak Lands?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Modern Standard Matari = What is it?  (Read 2962 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Re: Modern Standard Matari = What is it?
« Reply #15 on: 01 Mar 2014, 07:55 »

I tried endlessly one day to find Matari PF directly referencing language and was unsuccessful. I didn't look in News articles, though. There are several areas of implication, though.

The Minmatar tribes evolved their own traditions over time, but limited communications between them ensured a few basic similarities in their social structure.

This line has always seemed relevant to me. Limited communication + few basic similarities in their social structure fits along with local languages, or at the very least dialects. And even in the case of dialects, IRL there are some dialectical differences that are so sharp that it takes significant effort for a nearby dialect to dialogue with them.

I'll keep on trudging through the PF looking for language references, there doesn't seem to be many.

Edit: Also, from the RP perspective, there would obviously be limitations for creating the language. It would be a fun project, but all you have to do is see how many Caldari players don't use or are annoyed with Napanii to see how far it will go.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2014, 08:00 by Jace »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 06 Mar 2014, 21:58 »

The Northern Sebbie language was more a pet project as a regional language, nothing I expect people to ever use on any sort of in game basis. People have adopted "hvit" to mean "Hello" in Sebiestor, and that's fine. A teeny bit of flavor.

Ive always assumed that Amarrish sort of became the default interlingua of the Matari sphere, and that the current MSM is meant specifically to displace it; I thought Amarrian was still more widely used?

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #17 on: 06 Mar 2014, 23:42 »

That seems accurate.   

It would take a few generations for Amarrian to be completely displaced and even longer or never for it to never be heard in some manner. 

I still persist that the use of regional/ethical languages vastly outweighs the 'common' languages like Amarrian or MSM. 
Pages: 1 [2]