Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Evanda Char once stole a priceless artifact from Admirals Tharrn's office and made it into ear rings precipitating a year long war?

Author Topic: Higgs Boson/God Particle  (Read 865 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Higgs Boson/God Particle
« on: 17 Sep 2011, 15:53 »

Simple questions easy to answer

If it does or doesnt exist, what impact does it have on our understanding of the universe?

Either way, what does it mean for the may/may not existence of God?

[Obligatory "dont be a douche" paragraph]
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Desiderya

Re: Higgs Boson/God Particle
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2011, 17:20 »

The Higgs Boson would explain why the masses of the elementary particles in our asymetrical universe are what they are. It would also have to have been one of the first kind of particles in the universe in its early hot, dense (and symmetrical, I think) state.
In the end it's not really possible to explain in a simple manner, as this'll head straight into the equation-only territory of physics.

Why this should have anything to do with any god eludes me, personally, especially since this is a really difficult and technical topic for a layman's (myself included) discussion.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2011, 18:21 »

The 'God particle' is a bullshit name cooked up by non-physicists, basically. It's no more to do with the existence of any deity than the electron, up quark, gluon or any other fundamental particle you care to imagine.

It fits into the Standard Model, i.e. a theory explaining how the electromagnetic and strong / weak nuclear forces do their thing, as the quantum of the Higgs Field; discovering it would give us a much clearer understanding of why things have mass. Failing to discover it and discovering that something else was responsible for mass would be an indiator that the Standard Model was, well, wrong.

* Kybernetes Moros tries to condense complex theoretical physics as much as possible.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2011, 04:34 »

The 'God particle' is a bullshit name cooked up by non-physicists, basically.

Yeah this. But take it with a whole spoon of salt because of the angnostic/atheist here *raisehand*

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2011, 10:05 »

* Kybernetes Moros tries to condense complex theoretical physics as much as possible.

Quantum physics is already very small; condensing it more may have unforeseen implications!   ;) :lol:

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2011, 04:13 »

I would be more excited if they would discover how to do real magic :D

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!