Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Evanda Char once stole a priceless artifact from Admirals Tharrn's office and made it into ear rings precipitating a year long war?

Author Topic: The distant future  (Read 1595 times)

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
The distant future
« on: 03 Feb 2011, 21:48 »

The Library has a thread titled Terra.

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1462042

Thanks to a visiting friend with astonishingly good pot, I had a bit of a theory session. A bunch of this stuff has been approached in the giant Sleeper threads, but it's scattered - I thought we might like thinking about what lies in Eve's distant future, but in a thread not focused on any specific extinct subculture... what's the big picture, do you think? What's waiting on the other side of the gate?

KJLLV

Re: The distant future
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb 2011, 23:43 »

Very first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title.
Flight of the Conchords - The Humans Are Dead
Appropriate for several reasons.

When the New Eden wormhole was first discovered, humanity was already falling, cannibalising on itself, after voracious expansion out of an overcrowded homeworld. We'd colonised every system we could go to, and were in the process of now killing off each other to take what remained. Given with Sansha's own tech, he can pull resources and energy directly from a star, I think it's possible that there may not be much of a Milky Way galaxy left to see on the other side of the EVE gate, as the progenitor humanity was more advanced. As they lost their pressure release valve when the Gate collapsed [Or was sabotaged? Who can say.], they would continue killing each other ever more intensely as the remaining pool of resources dwindled, leading to a spiral of destruction. Humanity would consume every shred of resources its technology allowed it in order to prolong its existence.

Possible something similar to what we see of the Sleepers, in the complexes of voluntary stasis, may happen with various groups in order to continue living, albeit not quite out here. It's likely that at least one group also tried to use sleeping-stasis colonisation ships that are now adrift in deep space, in transit, on a similar notion to those used in Freelancer.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #2 on: 04 Feb 2011, 05:51 »

Hmm, if Terra / Earth in EVE is a direct copy of earth, then we can look at what science tells us right now about how things may possibly look in 20k year and that might or might not be what we find on the other side depending on a) how accurate our predictions from now are and b) how many things that we could not predict have happened and how they affected the timeline.

To make that clearer with an example: Right now we know our sun is going to burn out at one point. We have predictions of how things may look in 20k years from now. That may be what we see when we look through the EVE gate. But it is also possible that something we didn't foresee, like earth spinning off its course due to a gigantic asteroid impact and now being in an orbit that takes it to the edge of our solar system. If we'd then look through the EVE gate, we'd maybe also still see the same effects of the sun, but also earth being somewhere it wasn't expected to be.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Joshua Foiritain

• Serpentis Loyalist
  • Wetgraver
    • Coreli Corporation Mainframe
« Reply #3 on: 04 Feb 2011, 06:49 »

Excellent story.

However; Theres no reason to assume the eve gate only transported people across space, for all we know it linked backwards in time and they invented fire at the same time as we invented doomsday weapons.

Obviously for gameplay purposes that wouldn't be very interesting (unless we can use dust to go down to earth :P)

The way i see it humanity is dead, the only things that survived is the machines they left behind. Sleepers are basically their recon fleets they used to explore wormholes in search for more resources and/or us. Obviously humanity still survives through their machines, eve with technology on our side it shouldn't be too hard to build a robot body that can be used by humans so other side humans should have been able to properly integrate their race with the machines. i suppose that basically works in the direction of your meaty blob god idea except i think it would be a massive solar system eating super machine that contains the entire human race in digital format.

Regardless of what has or hasn't happened, the eve gate should never be reopened.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2011, 06:57 by Joshua Foiritain »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2011, 09:44 »

i would like to taste that pot, damn nice "brainstorm".

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #5 on: 04 Feb 2011, 10:41 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9oI6riuKTc

someone linked that earlier today, may be relevant, as regards the state of Earth-side civilisation.
\o/

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 Feb 2011, 12:30 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9oI6riuKTc

someone linked that earlier today, may be relevant, as regards the state of Earth-side civilisation.
Well... its state at the time of the New Eden wormhole still being open. Civilization never stands still. What form could it have taken over some 20k years of evolution?

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.