Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Zegerth Kelja is the eccentric Sansha Underseer of True Slave Foundations?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Its time to pwn cancer  (Read 2331 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll

Raze Valadeus

Re: Its time to pwn cancer
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2011, 09:28 »

This is certainly a ray of hope!

I cannot help but be thankful for people who spend their time, resources and energy dedicated toward achieving things like this.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:12 »

There's other efforts towards healing illnesses or at least staving them off for a while.
Personally, I run Folding@Home permanently on the PS3 when I'm not watching movies, as an example.

Everyone can contribute to science, even if it's only by letting the scientists use your spare CPU cycles.

Raze Valadeus

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2011, 10:26 »

There's other efforts towards healing illnesses or at least staving them off for a while.
Personally, I run Folding@Home permanently on the PS3 when I'm not watching movies, as an example.

Everyone can contribute to science, even if it's only by letting the scientists use your spare CPU cycles.

No doubt about that at all and I wasn't seeking to detract from other efforts, I was simply offering praise to the subject at the time. You may also wish to link that service you run so others can do the same if they choose to do so (if that's possible).

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2011, 11:21 »

This isn't the first apparently miraculous treatment for cancer, it won't be the last. Call me when it's been tested on more than 3 people.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2011, 11:42 »

Assuming it even reliably works... bets on what insanely exorbitant price they're going to lay on this drug?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2011, 22:58 »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2011, 04:29 »

If they finally did it with success after all this time past to try gene therapy solutions to the issue, this is awesome indeed. Still waiting to get other confirmations on bigger scale.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2011, 07:54 »

Maybe we should heed a little modern science fiction before jumping all the way in.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2011, 08:34 »

Hahaha I thought of it too, even if when I watched the movie I found that excuse to link the zombies setting to failed science experiments pretty lame (seriously, are they not bored with that kind of crap already ?). It ridiculizes the plot instead of giving any depth.

The movie is still good, but the book is 100 times better : the author dared to do what the filmaker did not dare to do by convenience for the audience. 

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2011, 11:28 »

Well like any technology or scientific breakthrough there are both foreseen and unforeseen consequences.  Nuclear theory for example - nuclear power and nuclear weapons.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2011, 13:09 »

Yeah but I can't help but find the excuse dumb and totally out of place. But this is probably because I read the book before (which is 100 times deeper and sader, but I understand why they did not realized it as it is for cinema).

And maybe also because I am just bored of that trope where scientists are mad people without any ethics doing experiments that eventually end bad and threaten the whole humanity, if not the galaxy.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2011, 13:27 »

If a new treatment has less of a profit margin than an old treatment, you won't see it in an American hospital until they find a way to artificially inflate the price.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2011, 22:25 »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2011, 02:31 »

I don't know where I read it or heard it, but there WAS a possible way to cure cancer out a few years ago, apparently it was not put into sirculation due to 'unproffitable reasons'. Some people's money-making is indeed more important than other people's lives. This time will be no different. I'll give a fuck when it's in actual use across hospitals all over the world and people get cured en-masse.

On the flip-side, the over-population issue is not getting helped any by this, but I won't cry about another horrible disease being removed, if it is.
Pages: [1] 2