Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rimpon, an ovoid, golden coloured fruit with a tart taste, was invented by player Matariki Rain, and has since made an appearance in a number of player-created fictions?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Clone backups, and the IC/OOC barrier problem  (Read 9016 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Clone backups, and the IC/OOC barrier problem
« Reply #75 on: 27 Jan 2014, 21:39 »

Boarding threads? Was this here or on the IGS or what?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #76 on: 27 Jan 2014, 21:46 »

Escape pods which have no representation or appearance in-game, next to modules and passengers that do (and New Eden crew guidelines specifically say that modules are crewed ship components, as adding them increases the crew complement of a ship).

In-game actions take priority, and using wrecks as a representation for crew works a lot better than invisible, uninteractable escape pods. You can loot wrecks to abduct or rescue survivors. You can abandon wrecks to abandon survivors. You can shoot wrecks to give no quarter. You can't do any of that with "escape pods", which therefore results in the very unnecessary OOC arguments and consent BS that is described in this thread.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2014, 21:50 by Samira Kernher »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #77 on: 27 Jan 2014, 21:52 »

Escape pods which have no representation or appearance in-game, next to modules and passengers that do (and New Eden crew guidelines specifically say that modules are crewed ship components, as adding them increases the crew complement of a ship).

In-game actions take priority, and using wrecks as a representation for crew works a lot better than invisible, uninteractable escape pods. You can loot wrecks to abduct or rescue survivors. You can abandon wrecks to abandon survivors. You can shoot wrecks to give no quarter. You can't do any of that with "escape pods", which therefore results in the very unnecessary OOC arguments and consent BS that is described in this thread.

On the contrary, they aren't showing up in game because it was never intended for us to capture crews. As can be shown by all the OOC hissy fits that start when you claim to take someone's crew, it is the taking of them that causes the OOC problems - not the other way around. If you want someone's crew, coordinate it with them.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #78 on: 27 Jan 2014, 21:53 »

Boarding threads? Was this here or on the IGS or what?

There was this one, and some other discussion in-game and elsewhere: http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=5598.0

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #79 on: 27 Jan 2014, 22:52 »

Nicking crew is an interplayer thing that should be handled OOCly, and hell.  Happiily.  Why should your char live happily ever after?  EVE is grimdark.  And ships have people.  According to the 10th anniverary video 18 BILLION CREW OF CAPSULEER SHIPS DIED IN TEN YEARS.  And heck.  Them's just our ships.  Even if we take the grinding of NPC missions as "symbolic" and "less ACTUAL killing happens as the universe isn't full of inifnite T1 frigates" - THOSE numbers are probably STILL somewhere around googol plex.

When I sold a fitted Apoc to someone who then jumped to TSF that day, I LOVED IT.. OOCly.  In a sense the sale was half OOC anyway, but they were an RPer and so was I.  It happened in game so it happened.

IC ofc Arista was horrified. OOC I created a full battleship crew complement with first initials and last names from the generic char gen lastname list from EVE, which I shared ICly with other Amarrians who Ari told about it, which added to scenes in their RP.  TSF knew about it - they taunted her about it.  RP! World depth! 

When you play house, generally more than one person lives there, or you're just playing with yourself.  Every pun intended.

Ohnoes, a bad thing happened.  How in the world is my mass murdering informorph monster going to handle this horrific blow to her gentle psyche that can fly for years without mindlock.  I will never figure it out. ;)
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2014, 22:57 by Arista Shahni »

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #80 on: 28 Jan 2014, 10:16 »

Ohnoes, a bad thing happened.  How in the world is my mass murdering informorph monster going to handle this horrific blow to her gentle psyche that can fly for years without mindlock.  I will never figure it out. ;)

Well, there could always be the option to edit out that bad memory and make the PAIN GO AWAY.  :lol:

http://community.eveonline.com/backstory/chronicles/the-precious-tableau/

-Vieve, who's so not otherwise going to wade into a thread about infomorph manipulation, 'cause it's more fun to sit in the shadows and eat popcorn.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #81 on: 28 Jan 2014, 15:29 »

I had a couple of cases of dying outside of the pod.
One time, my character died and forgot completely what happened, and I was even playing her, trying to find out. She still can't comprehend why happened what happened.

Second time, my character died, but another player's character brought my body inside my pod, attached it and 'brainscanned' me, so when I woke up, I remembered all details, but it caused some defects, that were fun to play.

:spoiler: Oh, after that case my character has installed hardware protection on her implants to prevent unsanctioned scanning  :P

With rare exceptions, I allow people to do with my character to do whatever they like, so if they want to kill me, good. I can forget it. As for remembering, there are cameras and things. Thus, my character can look at the recording and realize, what happened. This was actually used for the first case of my death, that I described. But the said recording left more questions for my character than answers ;)
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2014, 15:34 by Lithium Flower »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #82 on: 28 Jan 2014, 15:51 »

Second time, my character died, but another player's character brought my body inside my pod, attached it and 'brainscanned' me, so when I woke up, I remembered all details, but it caused some defects, that were fun to play.

It's not a huge problem, but I should point out that brain scanning doesn't work that way. It has to happen while you are still alive and your brain is still active, otherwise there is no memory or personality to copy. This is the entire reason the scanner works the way it does. It scans you during the moment of death, at the last possible millisecond before you are actually dead. Doing so afterwards is completely useless.

That doesn't even take into account the time between when they found her body and when they brought it to the pod. Even assuming it was a few minutes - not more like an hour or two where decomposition sets in - you're dealing with physical destruction of the brain after death. Brain cells die once deprived of oxygenated blood, and they do so within seconds. You'd have to ask a biologist how this would affect the physical structure of brain cells, but I would be willing to wager they aren't entirely useful for a "physical scan" after that point in time.

Based on the concepts of biology and the fiction of how the capsule scanner works, I have to say that while it's a clever attempt at working around the soft cloning issue - it's not a valid method. Sorry. :(

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
« Reply #83 on: 28 Jan 2014, 16:14 »

It's not a huge problem, but I should point out that brain scanning doesn't work that way. It has to happen while you are still alive and your brain is still active, otherwise there is no memory or personality to copy. This is the entire reason the scanner works the way it does. It scans you during the moment of death, at the last possible millisecond before you are actually dead. Doing so afterwards is completely useless.

That doesn't even take into account the time between when they found her body and when they brought it to the pod. Even assuming it was a few minutes - not more like an hour or two where decomposition sets in - you're dealing with physical destruction of the brain after death. Brain cells die once deprived of oxygenated blood, and they do so within seconds. You'd have to ask a biologist how this would affect the physical structure of brain cells, but I would be willing to wager they aren't entirely useful for a "physical scan" after that point in time.

Based on the concepts of biology and the fiction of how the capsule scanner works, I have to say that while it's a clever attempt at working around the soft cloning issue - it's not a valid method. Sorry. :(
Unfortunately, I cannot agree that brain cells die immediately, or reanimation would be simply impossible. According to my information, brain cells live about 3 minutes after death.

Besides, that player didn't find my body, but I rather died on his hands, and he immediately did this trick.

As for scanning milliseconds to death, I understand that it was done for capsuleers to not remember their deaths.

Of course, if I missed something and it is completely impossible, I still have a chance to retcon, since our characters didn't contact much (we were avoiding each other) and weren't discussing what happened.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #84 on: 28 Jan 2014, 16:35 »

You are correct. My source gives six minutes, more than double your source. I think I misunderstood my original source as talking about how fast the cells die after those 6 minutes and there is no oxygenated blood left to use.

This is all assuming that she died because her heart stopped, not due to any physical trauma to the brain itself. In those scenarios, the entire concept is moot, because even if brain death is not instantaneous - the scan is worthless. It would be like trying to photocopy a picture that's been damaged. The copy will be damaged too.

At any rate, the PF is very clear about scanning at the moment of death - or it doesn't work at all. I will quote a passage for you:

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/The_Capsule_and_the_Clone

Quote from: The Capsule and the Clone
The crucial element in the process relies on a brain-scan snapshot being taken at the precise time of death and transmitted to the waiting clone, and so the transneural burning scanner required to do so needs to be mounted somewhere close to the person at all times. Since the snapshot itself causes massive physical damage to the gray matter, there can be no margin of error; it needs to be done at the exact time of death. In planetary vehicles, the cloning companies have experimented with mounting the transneural scanner in a variety of locations, but the almost limitless potentiality of planet-bound environments has proved time and again that it just isn’t safe – snapshots either go off due to false stimuli, leaving healthy clients in a vegetative state, or fail to go off due to circumstances unforeseen by the safeguard mechanism, leaving clients dead with no chance of retransplantation.

It says nothing about the comfort of the person being cloned. The purpose of the neurotoxin being injected is to prevent the scanned body from accidentally surviving the cloning process in a vegetative state.

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
« Reply #85 on: 28 Jan 2014, 17:47 »

You are correct. My source gives six minutes, more than double your source. I think I misunderstood my original source as talking about how fast the cells die after those 6 minutes and there is no oxygenated blood left to use.

This is all assuming that she died because her heart stopped, not due to any physical trauma to the brain itself. In those scenarios, the entire concept is moot, because even if brain death is not instantaneous - the scan is worthless. It would be like trying to photocopy a picture that's been damaged. The copy will be damaged too.

At any rate, the PF is very clear about scanning at the moment of death - or it doesn't work at all. I will quote a passage for you:

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/The_Capsule_and_the_Clone

Quote from: The Capsule and the Clone
The crucial element in the process relies on a brain-scan snapshot being taken at the precise time of death and transmitted to the waiting clone, and so the transneural burning scanner required to do so needs to be mounted somewhere close to the person at all times. Since the snapshot itself causes massive physical damage to the gray matter, there can be no margin of error; it needs to be done at the exact time of death. In planetary vehicles, the cloning companies have experimented with mounting the transneural scanner in a variety of locations, but the almost limitless potentiality of planet-bound environments has proved time and again that it just isn’t safe – snapshots either go off due to false stimuli, leaving healthy clients in a vegetative state, or fail to go off due to circumstances unforeseen by the safeguard mechanism, leaving clients dead with no chance of retransplantation.

It says nothing about the comfort of the person being cloned. The purpose of the neurotoxin being injected is to prevent the scanned body from accidentally surviving the cloning process in a vegetative state.
I am sorry, I think I simply misunderstood about purpose of scanning in exact moment of death.

As for brain damage, well, I didn't consider trying to scan damaged brain  :twisted:
My character lost consciousness from acute brain ischemia, caused by massive blood loss from sliced heart chamber.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #86 on: 28 Jan 2014, 18:08 »

As long as the scan was done within 5 minutes of the injury, then it works. Any longer than that and we're really pushing the limits of realism.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #87 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:32 »

Kat layin' down da law!
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #88 on: 30 Jan 2014, 00:26 »

Lets just say it was.

The magic of Fiction

:D

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #89 on: 30 Jan 2014, 03:48 »

All I got from this thread was... Total Recall.

But only after the amnesia.

That's when I realized Celeste Fauconnier wasn't the wife, but in fact a Black Eagle operative trying to use it as cover to murder Veikitamo.

Also, never RP with Vieve.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7