Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Daedalus X pulled off a Capital ship heist in a level two wormhole. read more here

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: EoM Thread for real this time.  (Read 5519 times)

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
Re: EoM Thread for real this time.
« Reply #30 on: 17 Oct 2012, 18:01 »

Contact me ICly

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #31 on: 17 Oct 2012, 19:06 »

gtfo, we still haz teh Kyonoke component

I hope you plan on biomassing Leo, and anyone trading for it is willing to biomass. Because it's physically impossible to have that in your possession (unless you're crazy cheating Kuvakei, somehow... with magic) without death to you and anyone else that comes within the same biosphere.

EDIT: There is no way to even acquire it unless CCP gives it to you, as of right now Kuvakei is the only person that has ever contained it (and that was with magics that isn't available to any other faction in the entire universe). If you have somehow managed to convince CCP to give you the same magical device/technology to contain it... then I'll retract my statements, but till then I'm going to wave my flag.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2012, 19:14 by Inara Subaka »

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #32 on: 17 Oct 2012, 19:28 »

*underlines the component part*

Did I ever say either party has the actual Kyonoke in their hands?
Nope.

So play along. Or don't. Also, welcome back to Eve.

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #33 on: 17 Oct 2012, 19:35 »

*underlines the component part*

Did I ever say either party has the actual Kyonoke in their hands?
Nope.

So play along. Or don't. Also, welcome back to Eve.

It's... already a prion. Aka a protein string smaller than a virus, you can't break it down anymore without making it basic hydro-carbons and sugars. At which point, you can't actually assemble it, because no one knows what it's molecular structure is. That's because no one can study it to find out what it's structure is.

The polite way to say this is "you're talking out your ass about things you don't know." Trust me, I looked into Kyonoke and every possible way of dealing with it during the shenanigans between Kuvakei/Ethan/Guristas; the only way to deal with it, in any form, is the way Sansha himself is doing it and we don't know what that methodology is. Therefore, it's impossible for your character to have access to it.

EDIT: Thanks, I've been around off and on, just been busy with RL so only been doing some light trade stuff and poking my head into OOC on occasion.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 17 Oct 2012, 21:59 »

[mod] Thread cleaned. [/mod]
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 2012, 08:15 »

While i have yet to finish reading the entire thread, if i remember TEA correctly, the FedNav interceptor that was flowing into atmosphere by one of the characters during the caldari prime invasion had no problems with tritanium instability in atmosphere, so i'd hazard a guess that the alloys used to make starships have been hardened against that particular issue.

Consider that the armour forge from the beginning of the book primarily created starship armour components too... it'd be hard to make them on a planet if they'd turn into a pool of hazardous liquid during transport.

also... the interceptor's power core, when detonated, caused a nuclear explosion sufficient to simply atomise a large number of the dropships near it when it went pop. This makes me wonder what effects the powercore of a capital vessel would have when it hit the atmosphere, or worse, hit the planet.

on a more IC note, I'm sure boma was aiming to cause the largest possible amount of damage, so setting the ship on a course that would have made a successful re-entry and then hit the largest population centre his scanners could find, would fit that scenario perfectly. If the collision wasn't directly on a population centre, it would likely have been close to one.

just my thoughts though.
-Rok

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #36 on: 21 Oct 2012, 07:25 »

gtfo, we still haz teh Kyonoke component

I hope you plan on biomassing Leo, and anyone trading for it is willing to biomass. Because it's physically impossible to have that in your possession (unless you're crazy cheating Kuvakei, somehow... with magic) without death to you and anyone else that comes within the same biosphere.

EDIT: There is no way to even acquire it unless CCP gives it to you, as of right now Kuvakei is the only person that has ever contained it (and that was with magics that isn't available to any other faction in the entire universe). If you have somehow managed to convince CCP to give you the same magical device/technology to contain it... then I'll retract my statements, but till then I'm going to wave my flag.

Sorry to take it off track here for a moment. The following approaches the issues raised by Inara in a purely 'could it be done in character' fashion. It ignores, on purpose, the question of whether CCP would 'allow' anything below to happen.

For capsuleers, the possession of it (once obtained) really isn't that hard. It's my opinion that the cloning and rebirth tech that's second nature to a capsuleer is the 'magic' that allows Sansha to have stolen and kept it in the first place. Sure, you'll die a lot - and painfully - but capsuleers do that as part of their everyday routine. And soft-clones are a good way of not remembering the agony you've put yourself through X times already today. Expensive though, at least at the outset. Also - EoM? Dying and death-dealing is kind of their religion.

Transport's more of an issue - I don't know how you transport it through jumpgates, for example. Again Nation's self-generated wormholes seem to provide an answer for this, at least for them.

Containment in a facility? Apart from the massive costs that might be involved it appears that the Caldari State have managed to at least contain it and perhaps even found ways to push forward with some research on it in Taisy. How many they've lost to the prion in doing so is anyone's guess but it does suggest at least one containment protocol that's worked in PF which is backed up by live events. There's also the PF question of the freighter rumoured to have stolen a sample many years ago which has never been found but presumably would still have active Kyonoke on board should it ever be tracked down.

So, as a capsuleer, it really comes down to a few simple questions:
  • How many clones are you willing to sacrifice and how many times are you willing to soft clone yourself?
  • How many of your non-capsuleer staff are you willing to sacrifice?
  • How will you transport it between systems?
  • How much ISK are you willing to dump into a containment facility?
  • Do you want to research it, or do you just want to store it away for a rainy day weapon of massive biowarfare destruction?
Getting hold of the protein itself as per PF is extremely difficult, almost impossible, sure. And that's without considering what CCP wants to do with it. But it is still plausible depending on how it's run in RP. Getting hold of data on the virus is also difficult (less so than the protein itself) and also still very plausible dependent on the RP background in place.

Without knowing what backstory (if any) Boma and Leo worked up here, it's kind of hard to know whether 'waving your flag' is reasonable or not.
Pages: 1 2 [3]