Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Author Topic: WTB New Laptop  (Read 1133 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
WTB New Laptop
« on: 19 Jul 2014, 18:13 »

Hey all

Some of you may know that after a long and honourable stint at being my computer, my laptop finally bit the dust.

I am looking for a new laptop, nothing amazingly fancy, and I have an upper price limit of £500, but for a truly good deal I can push for £600.

At a minimum, it needs to run EVE at least passably with reasonable settings. Ideally, I hope to also run some new/newish releases on low/very low settings. My old laptop was able to do this until this year.

I have two two contestants so far:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-n266sa-15-6-laptop-black-chromecast-pn908400-pdt.html

http://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/catalogue/item/P183959P

Anyone have any suggestions?

Before anyone says anything, yes, I know that I'm not going to get anything great for £500. This is known to me. Times are what they are, and no I'm not in a position to just wait it out until money is better. I need a laptop because I frequently move location, so please don't suggest a desktop. It will happen in time, just not this time.

« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2014, 18:26 by Nmaro Makari »
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Anyanka Funk

Re: WTB New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2014, 22:46 »

I'd go with the Hewlett-Packard for that price.

I use this:  http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V5-122p-0681-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00GB9NUXI which is smaller with worse processor, but it runs EVE perfectly for me with medium settings.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2014, 03:17 »

Not bad... Will think about that one.

Oh and also, I would ideally like the scren to be over 12 inches, but it's not a deal breaker.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2014, 03:30 »

You really need a laptop instead of a desktop ?

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2014, 03:38 »

You really need a laptop instead of a desktop ?

This much I hoped I'd made clear, yes. Sorry if there was confusion.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2014, 03:53 »

Not it was perfectly clear that you looked for a laptop, but knowing that some people are looking for laptops to play games while not really needing them for mobility... Well, asking just in case.

I'm not really good with laptop advice. I hate those. They cost hundred more than desktops for gear that is way, way worse in everything.

Hope you will find what you need. =)

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2014, 11:09 »

I'd recommend checking out MSi laptops, I have a two year old MSiGE60 and it's served me well and it still does keep up with what I throw at it, though currently it's mostly a part of my entertainment unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152570&cm_re=MSI-_-34-152-570-_-Product here' one to look at, the price point in pounds is just shy of 500.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2014, 13:45 »

Will check it out, thanks Vince  :)

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2014, 01:02 »

Have you considered Toshiba laptops? Even if you can't afford any of the Qosmio line of laptops you might find the Satellite line-up to fit well within your budget and still deliver solid performance.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2014, 04:03 »

The HP Pavillion in your first link is sufficient, and competitively priced.  The inclusion of Chromecast is a nice bonus though not really enough to sweeten the deal beyond the machine being in budget and up to spec for playing eve in middling settings. 

One thing to be wary of is that you may find that any subsequent changes in your target game(s) will obsolete your system quickly, but you have made it clear that a laptop is important to you.  I assume you;re aware of this as a result. 

I performed a brief search through ebuyer to see if I could beat the deal but can't find anything that comes close (closest deal was 50 quid more without Chromecast). 

Just remember to get a burned DVD of your preferred operating system as these things come laden with borderline Malware (or 'Support Software' as they refer to it) so a thorough nuking of the hard drive and re-install (REMEMBER YOUR OS LICENSE KEY IT SHOULD BE PRINTED ON THE DEVICE) is in order to really ensure you're the one using all system resources.  If the key is not printed on the device, phone the point of sale operator and request it. 

As a final purchase, maybe look into a thermal mat of some kind as the heat that laptops build up on even the most lightweight of graphical processes is significant and will shorten the life of your product. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-NC3-Ultra-Cooler-Laptop/dp/B0091CVSYU/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

The above is just an example, but reasonably priced if you're planning on staying still for a long time with your laptop. 

PS: Some reviews suggest this alternative http://www.amazon.co.uk/Targus-Laptop-Cooling-Chill-Laptops/dp/B002Q8X3L2
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2014, 04:06 by PracticalTechnicality »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2014, 05:54 »

Tbh if you want to maximize the lifetime of your laptop for gaming, try always to aim for the most powerful possible graphic card that doesn't explode your budget. That's the most limiting factor with laptops regarding games, so make sure to focus on that.