Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Hyasyoda megacorporation is part of the 'liberal' faction, but is internally extremely conservative in business and its internal culture, with a great deal of pressure for employees to 'fit in'? It is still largely owned by the founding Osmon family.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: World Of Darkness  (Read 2786 times)

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: World Of Darkness
« Reply #15 on: 06 Mar 2013, 13:44 »

I wouldnt be very happy to see a character I started to care for to be permakilled by some jackass that got elected by trolls.

WoD is a bad universe to play in - the games naturally have high mortality rates. I remember the rather sinking feeling in my stomach when my larp character died - although larp tends to get you more into the character than a pnp game.

On the other hand, a larp isn't going to have trolls - or if it does, they're simply going to get killed. I'm not sure how it will work out in an MMO. Could be bad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 06 Mar 2013, 13:54 »

Don't misunderstand me, I love the lethal side of the White Wolf license, but I am used to have a GM to talk to for that kind of delicate stuff. It's quite different in a MMO.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 Mar 2013, 13:59 »

I wouldnt be very happy to see a character I started to care for to be permakilled by some jackass that got elected by trolls.

WoD is a bad universe to play in - the games naturally have high mortality rates. I remember the rather sinking feeling in my stomach when my larp character died - although larp tends to get you more into the character than a pnp game.

On the other hand, a larp isn't going to have trolls - or if it does, they're simply going to get killed. I'm not sure how it will work out in an MMO. Could be bad.

You found larp more immersive? Interesting. Were you using the official Minds Eye system? I, personally, found that had far too much potential to yank me out of immersion with the whole paper/scissors/stone test mechanic. That said I'm used to the rubber sword, play what you can physically represent school of larping. Accordingly I find computer games and tabletop games have a lot more potential for playing characters that aren't anything like me, at least physically.

Small larps tend to discourage trolls. Larps run at a public venue have vast amounts of potential to annoy bystanders and fest larps (which is where I got started, The Gathering on the UK August bank Holiday near Derby) can take up a lot of energy in avoiding or IC killing trolling players if you aren't careful.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 06 Mar 2013, 15:09 »

You found larp more immersive? Interesting. Were you using the official Minds Eye system? I, personally, found that had far too much potential to yank me out of immersion with the whole paper/scissors/stone test mechanic. That said I'm used to the rubber sword, play what you can physically represent school of larping. Accordingly I find computer games and tabletop games have a lot more potential for playing characters that aren't anything like me, at least physically.

Small larps tend to discourage trolls. Larps run at a public venue have vast amounts of potential to annoy bystanders and fest larps (which is where I got started, The Gathering on the UK August bank Holiday near Derby) can take up a lot of energy in avoiding or IC killing trolling players if you aren't careful.

This was a moderately sized larp, 20-ish people (grew abover 30 and then shut down due to ST burnout), and we used throwing fingers or card draw to determine success. STs carried cards ace through 10, you pulled one, added you modifier to the task, and scored a success for... I believe a 7 or 8 and another success for each 3 higher than that. It ended up giving you odds of success fairly close to what you would get rolling d10s in the tabletop game.

On the other hand, the game was highly political, so there wasn't a huge amount of combat going on to begin with. In fact, the combat-oriented characters tended to have the shortest life expectancy.

And I can get attached to any character, immersion be damned. I recall being almost moved to tears over an IC interaction in EVE that had no consequences whatsoever in game terms.

I'm hoping that once life settles down again in 6 months or so I'll be able to hook up with a local boffer larp, looks like a ton of fun. I just need a little more free time - and to rebuild some of the upper body I lost last time I was sick.

Vikarion

« Reply #19 on: 06 Mar 2013, 19:53 »

I don't LARP (something about it weirds me out), but I will weigh in on White Wolf mechanics. I really don't like them. The D20 system, in my personal opinion, is not only far superior, but also far more intuitive. Also, due to the larger number range, a finer definition of character capabilities is possible, and given a little modification, less statistical variance in terms of success.

It's very easy, so far as I can see, for an elder vampire who is nearly godlike to "oopsImmadead" with a couple of botched rolls in V:TR. In the D20 system, that can happen as well, but it tends to be less common.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #20 on: 06 Mar 2013, 23:12 »

I don't LARP (something about it weirds me out), but I will weigh in on White Wolf mechanics. I really don't like them. The D20 system, in my personal opinion, is not only far superior, but also far more intuitive. Also, due to the larger number range, a finer definition of character capabilities is possible, and given a little modification, less statistical variance in terms of success.

It's very easy, so far as I can see, for an elder vampire who is nearly godlike to "oopsImmadead" with a couple of botched rolls in V:TR. In the D20 system, that can happen as well, but it tends to be less common.

Uh, no.

In V:tR it is incredibly hard to even roll a botch, unlike in V:tM. These two games are very different in both their rule sets and theme and mood.

V:tM - Which the game will be based on btw - is much more vampires with superpowers, global domination and conspiracy theories and with the end of the world aka Gehenna looming in the horizon. Where as V:tR is much more about local horrors, much more personal in nature The scope of your conniving backstabbing limits to cities not worldwide. The major difference aside is that V:tR has no set truth or backlore of what has happened before and what is the truth where V:tM establishes that Vampirism is a curse laid down by (christian) God  on Caine.

On the topic of the systems. I dislike D20, it feels bulky, outdated and very unintuitive. Don't even get me started about levels and such. I feel the nWoD system to be the most fluid and intuitive ( not the OWoD one which is a fucking nightmare in combat scenes). That said it really boils down to personal preference. I mean someone actually likes Rolemaster rules too.

Vikarion

« Reply #21 on: 07 Mar 2013, 03:22 »

Uh, no.

In V:tR it is incredibly hard to even roll a botch, unlike in V:tM. These two games are very different in both their rule sets and theme and mood.

V:tM - Which the game will be based on btw - is much more vampires with superpowers, global domination and conspiracy theories and with the end of the world aka Gehenna looming in the horizon. Where as V:tR is much more about local horrors, much more personal in nature The scope of your conniving backstabbing limits to cities not worldwide. The major difference aside is that V:tR has no set truth or backlore of what has happened before and what is the truth where V:tM establishes that Vampirism is a curse laid down by (christian) God  on Caine.

On the topic of the systems. I dislike D20, it feels bulky, outdated and very unintuitive. Don't even get me started about levels and such. I feel the nWoD system to be the most fluid and intuitive ( not the OWoD one which is a fucking nightmare in combat scenes). That said it really boils down to personal preference. I mean someone actually likes Rolemaster rules too.

I think I'm confusing oWoD and nWoD here. I remembered that I hated one of them.   :P  I do have to admit that it's been some time since I played Vampire, Exalted, D&D, or any other RPG. The older I get, the more I end up just talking with my friends rather than playing games with them.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #22 on: 07 Mar 2013, 05:42 »

Yeah could be, the oWoD dice system was atrocious at times :)

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #23 on: 07 Mar 2013, 09:06 »

I really hope that the plot is more 'mature' than the VtM boradstrokes Clan + Camarilla/Sabbat/Unaligned politics.  It was repairable in pnp or larp due to GMs being able to employ the golden rule and flesh out a locality - but in an MMO people are going to lowest common denominator that stuff REALLY fast. 

Kinda thinking CCP missed a trick in promoting the nWoD system and flavouring a city scale sandbox (or multi city environment) - but the bad sales and low popularity compared to oWoD (marketing seemingly as blind to the longevity contribution that oWoD benefits from as much as the fan blogs are) are probably poisoning the well in that regard. 

Either way, I look forwards to it - The First Estate and Ventrue are where it's at for me.  You don't need a crown if you have the ear of the man/woman that thinks they do :P

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #24 on: 07 Mar 2013, 10:50 »

I'm looking forward to seeing how long I can play as a human.  :)

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 07 Mar 2013, 12:47 »

Rolemaster is better than its reputation tbh.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 Mar 2013, 15:27 »

Yeah could be, the oWoD dice system was atrocious at times :)

Yup, sure was. Haven't played the nWoD because some of the writing for the oWoD put me off Pale Doggy. So I can't comment on the new rules. When I run the setting (heavily salted with material from other modern horror games, mainly Delta Green & the Laundry series) I use the GURPS 3rd Ed adaptations.

I'll play D20 to be sociable but wouldn't run it by choice.

This was a moderately sized larp, 20-ish people (grew abover 30 and then shut down due to ST burnout), and we used throwing fingers or card draw to determine success. STs carried cards ace through 10, you pulled one, added you modifier to the task, and scored a success for... I believe a 7 or 8 and another success for each 3 higher than that. It ended up giving you odds of success fairly close to what you would get rolling d10s in the tabletop game.
<snip>

Like I said. All that explicit reference to game mechanics would kill the fun for me. If I talk someone into something in a Larp, I want it to be because I actually did so. Not because I made game mechanic test.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2013, 15:31 by Arnulf Ogunkoya »
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.
Pages: 1 [2]